Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2016, 04:41 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times

Advertisements

Yeah, pretty much the same in Leeds. There are plans for 70,000 new homes but no new infrastructure to support them. The roads are terrible. Loads of people are trying to get a flat in the city centre because it means you don't have to deal with the commute. Sounds like a good idea to me. Probably explains why the population of central Leeds has increased by 100% over the past 10 years.

Old 11-27-2016, 04:42 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,595,401 times
I was in York yesterday watching the snooker. Compared to all the other towns and cities in the area, it doesn't really feel like a northern city.

Old 11-27-2016, 04:48 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,816,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
I was in York yesterday watching the snooker. Compared to all the other towns and cities in the area, it doesn't really feel like a northern city.
It's full of all you pesky southerners, taking our jobs, and stealing our women

Is it the lack of industrial feel? Or other reasons?

Old 11-27-2016, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Yeah, pretty much the same in Leeds. There are plans for 70,000 new homes but no new infrastructure to support them. The roads are terrible. Loads of people are trying to get a flat in the city centre because it means you don't have to deal with the commute. Sounds like a good idea to me. Probably explains why the population of central Leeds has increased by 100% over the past 10 years.
Wow I didn't realise Leeds had grown so much. I remember there being a boom a few years ago in Leeds, where buildings were popping up everywhere in the centre. Seems to have slowed a bit since then though. And yes, the traffic in Leeds is horrific. Leeds really Leeds some kind of metro system, whether it's an underground or tram.

Old 11-27-2016, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
Wow I didn't realise Leeds had grown so much. I remember there being a boom a few years ago in Leeds, where buildings were popping up everywhere in the centre. Seems to have slowed a bit since then though. And yes, the traffic in Leeds is horrific. Leeds really Leeds some kind of metro system, whether it's an underground or tram.
Things slowed down a lot after the 2008 crash. Developers became more risk-averse and retreated to the more familiar/mature market of London. Things have picked up again though, especially since a lot of developers are getting weary of the overheated London market.

And yeah, Leeds desperately needs a tram or something.

Quote:

York wasn't really industrious like Manchester or Leeds, that's probably why. York was consistently in the top 10 largest English cities until the industrial revolution when the likes of Manc/Brum/Leeds/Liverpool/Sheffield grew rapidly.

Old 11-27-2016, 05:19 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,595,401 times
Quote:

The building style, the lack of dark, depressing 'coronation st' houses, the centre was clean, the people (I'm guessing many students from the south).

Leeds centre looked alright from the train, the suburbs looked a bit crap though (this was on the train from Halifax).

Old 11-27-2016, 05:29 AM

3,147 posts, read 1,979,118 times
This is so stupid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfM9...&feature=share

What a waste of money.

Old 11-27-2016, 05:32 AM

Quote:
The building style, the lack of dark, depressing 'coronation st' houses, the centre was clean, the people (I'm guessing many students from the south).

Leeds centre looked alright from the train, the suburbs looked a bit crap though (this was on the train from Halifax).
You probably passed through Armley and Holbeck, which are indeed crap. The approach to Leeds is pretty crap from all directions really. The best suburbs of Leeds are to the north of the city centre.

There are loads of southern students at the Uni of Leeds. Some of the Made in Chelsea cast studied here. Pretty much rah central.

Old 11-27-2016, 05:41 AM

Quote:

Ah ok. No we don't really have many of those types of home, and we don't have the slate grey stone that you see through a lot of Yorkshire either.
York is full of southern families and students. I'm guessing the fact it's a nice place to live, cheap housing in comparison to the SE, and good rail and road links to theSouth, make it an attractive place to relocate to.

Oh, and I was at the co-op shop next to the Barbican at around 4 yesterday, so I could've walked straight past you if you were around there! I was carrying a tub of baby milk if you happened to notice that
The last time I saw the snooker there, it was Paul Hunter vs Matthew Stevens. Can't even remember it tbh.

Old 11-27-2016, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
You probably passed through Armley and Holbeck, which are indeed crap. The approach to Leeds is pretty crap from all directions really. The best suburbs of Leeds are to the north of the city centre.

There are loads of southern students at the Uni of Leeds. Some of the Made in Chelsea cast studied here. Pretty much rah central.
When I go out in Leeds, or used to go out in Leeds(bloody children), I always liked going around Headingley. Plenty of good pubs and bars.
The centre is very good though too. I remember once projectile vomiting all over a barman in Square bar(?), when ordering a drink! Poor bloke!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather