Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2016, 04:36 PM

13,483 posts, read 9,024,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
Portsmouth winning the FA Cup back in '08 was a cool thing in particular since how big underdogs they were, it's just a massive shame their owner disappeared and the club virtually went under a year afterwards. Seeing the squad they had at the time with Jermain Defoe, Glen Johnson, Sol Campbell, David James, Niko Kranjcar, Sulley Muntari, Sylvain Distin and so forth that were some fine names!
Yep sadly it's all about money to some people, they were golden days for Pompey, though I'm sure they will get there again one day I was actually hoping they would stay in the top flight so that they may have moved to a larger stadium off of Portsea Island as it was an absolute nightmare getting in & out of Portsmouth on match days & people parking their bloody cars down my road lol

Old 12-12-2016, 04:40 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,504,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Yep sadly it's all about money to some people, they were golden days for Pompey, though I'm sure they will get there again one day I was actually hoping they would stay in the top flight so that they may have moved to a larger stadium off of Portsea Island as it was an absolute nightmare getting in & out of Portsmouth on match days & people parking their bloody cars down my road lol
I think the squad they had in 2010 when they went down was still a pretty decent one, Boateng, Ben Haim, James, Dindane, Brown, Belhadj etc were quite decent Premier League players even then, the problem was the high amount of players going in and out but also the lack of stability around the club. They did reach the FA Cup final again in 2010 in spite of being relegated. That was pretty impressive. Unfortunately they had to face Chelsea that time and lost 1-0 and then lost their place in European competition to Liverpool because they didn't get a license because they were under administration. A sad story.

Old 12-13-2016, 07:12 AM

3,147 posts, read 1,978,827 times
Thank goodness I didn't book to fly through LGW. Southern Rail Strike: Live updates on Tuesday 13 December - BBC News

Old 12-13-2016, 08:47 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,324,204 times
Everyone is complaining about how **** 2016 was for them and I have to admit...I can't relate, 2016 was pretty awesome. Best year of my life probably

Old 12-13-2016, 09:35 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
Also, while in Finland, will a "real" Swede be treated better by the rednecks than Fenno-Swedes are?
Fenno-Swedes like me are treated very well. Some bashing now and then, but mostly it's only tongue-in-cheek. And of course Swedes are treated well.

But I wouldn't trust Poland and Lithuania drinking moonshine...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Grunwald

Old 12-13-2016, 10:07 AM

BTW, the football clubs of your cities are regularly quite lame...

Leeds United -> Championship mid table
Portsmouth -> League Two
Örebro -> Swedish League mid table
Umeå FC -> Lower leagues
Eintracht Frankfurt -> Remained in league after relegation play-offs
IFK Gothenburg -> 4th place

Lyon -> 2nd place
HJK Helsinki -> 2nd place

Rosenborg -> League winner, all time most successful club
Seattle -> League winner
Dinamo Zagreb -> 11-time consecutive League winner, all time most successful club

Old 12-13-2016, 10:47 AM

2,155 posts, read 1,540,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
BTW, the football clubs of your cities are regularly quite lame...

Leeds United -> Championship mid table
Portsmouth -> League Two
Örebro -> Swedish League mid table
Umeå FC -> Lower leagues
Eintracht Frankfurt -> Remained in league after relegation play-offs
IFK Gothenburg -> 4th place

Lyon -> 2nd place
HJK Helsinki -> 2nd place

Rosenborg -> League winner, all time most successful club
Seattle -> League winner
Dinamo Zagreb -> 11-time consecutive League winner, all time most successful club
Our girl football team Umeå IK was, atleast when I was younger, among the best in the world, weren't they?

Old 12-13-2016, 10:57 AM

13,483 posts, read 9,024,194 times
You think Portsmouth is bad you should take a look at the Maltese national team

Old 12-13-2016, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba_Wethu View Post
Our girl football team Umeå IK was, atleast when I was younger, among the best in the world, weren't they?
It probably was. But when talking about football I become a misogynist...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
You think Portsmouth is bad you should take a look at the Maltese national team
Pfffffft... We are having the worst run in decades.

Finland0 - 3Sweden
Finland0 - 1Iceland
Poland5 - 0Finland
Norway2 - 0Finland
Belgium1 - 1Finland
Italy2 - 0Finland
Germany2 - 0Finland
Finland1 - 1Kosovo
Iceland3 - 2Finland
Finland0 - 1Croatia
Ukraine1 - 0Finland

Old 12-13-2016, 02:09 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,504,176 times
I'm not living in Örebro. But my nearest team are even worse but no wonder considering how small the Nyköping/Oxelösund conurbation is!

But Nyköping have a good shot at reaching the second tier rather soon I feel. If they'd reach Allsvenskan I'd certainly get a season ticket

Umeå IK won the women's Champions League in 2001 and 2002, but back then women's club football was only played professionally in Scandinavia and Germany pretty much.

Umeå FC reached Allsvenskan for males in 1996 but were immediately relegated in a playoff battle with minnows Ljungskile in a massive upset, considering that Umeå seemed like a sure bet to establish themselves. They remain the northernmost top flight club in Sweden ever to have taken part. Now Östersund is the northernmost club. Östersund is a bit of a mystery in itself. The city has a size of 40 k people and in the midst of winter Sweden and have never been close to assemble a decent hockey team!

Umeå is most famous for its hockey team Björklöven winning the national championship in 1987 though. However they haven't been in the top flight since 2001 and their arch rivals Skellefteå have been the most successful and richest club as of late
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather