Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2016, 09:29 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times

Advertisements

Yeah, Libya was very much our mess.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:40 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Yeah, Libya was very much our mess.
But I understand it. It was in the middle of the Arab Spring, a wave of optimism spread throughout North Africa and Europe, and Libya descended into civil war. Ghaddafi was murdering his own people, and as he was a thorn in especially France's and Italy's side, they decided that he has to go. Even bloody Sweden which normally only sends rainbows and bambis jumping on meadows sent fighers to police the no-fly zone. Hillary and Benghazi happened only when France was literally running out on cruise missiles.

Retrospectively it was a wrong thing to do, but we didn't know it then. But once again served us as a lesson that don't mingle with countries you cannot change. Their change has to come from inside, not forced from the outside.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:57 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,324,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Feels better if you don't total it all up. That has to be 20 lattes / day?
5 dollars a lattex30=150. So give or take 150 dollars on Lattes a month thankfully the winter and the spring flavors suck imo so I dont spend much on that

Old 12-29-2016, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
5 dollars a lattex30=150. So give or take 150 dollars on Lattes a month thankfully the winter and the spring flavors suck imo so I dont spend much on that
Can't you just DIY?

Old 12-29-2016, 10:08 AM

Justice at last. And this happened in the "least corrupted country in the world". Pffffft. 10 years in prison! \o/

Finland jails police chief Aarnio for drug-smuggling - BBC News

Old 12-29-2016, 10:12 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,442,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
To be honest, the intervention of Libya was triggered by France, Britain and Italy who all wanted to bomb the crap out of Ghaddafi. The US did intervene only when France and Italy were unable to coordinate a multinational force. So you're off the hook on this one.

And BTW, Italy was one of these four countries which shouldn't ever intevene militarily outside their borders dictated after WWII, but somehow conveniently it was forgotten. Germany had to change their constitution to be able to intervene in Afghanistan, and the restrictions for Finland were silently dropped after the fall of the Soviet Union. Austria still cannot, and it's in their constitution as well.
This sound quite strange to me, usually we have too many problems inside our country for caring about external affairs. In here the situation was described as "France (Sarkozy) and the NATO want to intervene in Libya, let's help them!". It was never pointed out that we were among the ones who triggerred the intervention

Also, Libya was one of our former-colonies, and so our diplomatic relations with them were already tense (generally, Libya played the "we were one of your colonies, you ruined our lives" card, and we accepted everything without protesting). This situation started to improve just before the intervention in Libya (in particular some accords for oil export were involved*), so I don't think that we would have any advantage proposing to attack Libya.

(* a lot of oil was found in Libya more or less when they get the independence from Italy *)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italy%...ibya_relations

if you want to use google translate, the same page in Italian is much more interesting (the intervention in Libya is commented in the very last paragraph)
https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relazi...Italia_e_Libia

The "Italy was one of these four countries which shouldn't ever intevene militarily outside their borders..." is too technical for me, so I don't know what they did

Old 12-29-2016, 10:13 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times
Quote:
But I understand it. It was in the middle of the Arab Spring, a wave of optimism spread throughout North Africa and Europe, and Libya descended into civil war. Ghaddafi was murdering his own people, and as he was a thorn in especially France's and Italy's side, they decided that he has to go. Even bloody Sweden which normally only sends rainbows and bambis jumping on meadows sent fighers to police the no-fly zone. Hillary and Benghazi happened only when France was literally running out on cruise missiles.

Retrospectively it was a wrong thing to do, but we didn't know it then. But once again served us as a lesson that don't mingle with countries you cannot change. Their change has to come from inside, not forced from the outside.
Yes, agreed - though I'm skeptical that the motivations for Libya were entirely honest.

The situation in Syria is one of the few examples of where military intervention is probably justified, but given the scale of the threat I'd probably support boots on the ground to combat ISIS.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:28 AM

3,147 posts, read 1,978,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I just spent £6 on a small Vanilla Frappachino and Cinnamon Bun. I love Starbucks but I don't know if the prices are justifiable.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:30 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,324,204 times
Quote:
Can't you just DIY?
I make matcha green tea lattes by myself, if that counts. Those actually taste better at home, in many cafes the matcha is really weak, feels like drinking steamed milk as opposed to a green tea latte

Old 12-29-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urania93 View Post
This sound quite strange to me, usually we have too many problems inside our country for caring about external affairs. In here the situation was described as "France (Sarkozy) and the NATO want to intervene in Libya, let's help them!". It was never pointed out that we were among the ones who triggerred the intervention

Also, Libya was one of our former-colonies, and so our diplomatic relations with them were already tense (generally, Libya played the "we were one of your colonies, you ruined our lives" card, and we accepted everything without protesting). This situation started to improve just before the intervention in Libya (in particular some accords for oil export were involved*), so I don't think that we would have any advantage proposing to attack Libya.

(* a lot of oil was found in Libya more or less when they get the independence from Italy *)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italy%...ibya_relations

if you want to use google translate, the same page in Italian is much more interesting (the intervention in Libya is commented in the very last paragraph)
https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relazi...Italia_e_Libia

The "Italy was one of these four countries which shouldn't ever intevene militarily outside their borders..." is too technical for me, so I don't know what they did
Maybe officially Italy just wanted to "help France", but in fact Italy wanted to project power on its former colony to get prestige. Britain and France have their internal issues as well, but that doesn't stop them mingling with foreign affairs. No offence, but I think you're being quite naive in geopolitical affairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather