Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2017, 02:48 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Interesting idea. I believe the jet stream is much flatter this year. Maybe this would be the typical yearly pattern if the Rockies weren't there? The Rockies seem to act like a funnel that push all the cold away from the West Coast and direct it to the East, maybe without them it would be like this year every year. Obviously West Coast would still be warmer, but the disparity would be significantly smaller
The Arctic Ocean is on the Eastern Side of the Continental Divide in its entirety. North of Montana, the CD pretty much follows the BC/AB border, then the Yukon/NWT border until about the Arctic Circle give or take, then turns due west and goes through the Brooks Range in Alaska ending at the Bering Strait.

That is why places west of the divide don't get as cold. The Arctic air can't cross the divide. When we get troughs and cold waves, they come from the Gulf Of Alaska, which is warmer than the Arctic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 03:19 PM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,004,296 times
Quote:
Interesting idea. I believe the jet stream is much flatter this year. Maybe this would be the typical yearly pattern if the Rockies weren't there? The Rockies seem to act like a funnel that push all the cold away from the West Coast and direct it to the East, maybe without them it would be like this year every year. Obviously West Coast would still be warmer, but the disparity would be significantly smaller
The truth is, winds in temperate climates mostly come from west, so places on the east coast of continents will receive winds direct from the interior of the continents,,even here in South America this have it effect,compare Mar del Plata with Melbourne for example, both at the same latitude and located on the coast,but since Melbourne doesnt have any considerable land to its south,it rarely get freezing,while MDP receive winds from southwest(Patagonia), so below freezing temperatures is quite common there.

Old 02-27-2017, 03:26 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,324,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost-likin View Post
The truth is, winds in temperate climates mostly come from west, so places on the east coast of continents will receive winds direct from the interior of the continents,,even here in South America this have it effect,compare Mar del Plata with Melbourne for example, both at the same latitude and located on the coast,but since Melbourne doesnt have any considerable land to its south,it rarely get freezing,while MDP receive winds from southwest(Patagonia), so below freezing temperatures is quite common there.
True, but I believe that western winds would be much more common there. Sort of like in Western Russia, which still gets a lil bit of oceanic influence despite being far away from the Atlantic

Old 02-27-2017, 03:51 PM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,004,296 times
Quote:
True, but I believe that western winds would be much more common there. Sort of like in Western Russia, which still gets a lil bit of oceanic influence despite being far away from the Atlantic
But Western North America do get winds from northwest,but if you see the map,you will see that thoses winds as the guy told before,come from the gulf of Alaska.

Old 02-27-2017, 04:21 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,666,364 times
Haven't seen, has anyone posted about the snow in Iceland?

Old 02-27-2017, 04:22 PM

29,513 posts, read 19,612,482 times
Volatile day tomorrow

https://twitter.com/JolietWeather/st...48337360093184

Old 02-27-2017, 05:39 PM
SFX

1,636 posts, read 891,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
Haven't seen, has anyone posted about the snow in Iceland?
No.

Record snow in Iceland

OK now somebody has.

Old 02-27-2017, 06:15 PM

5,706 posts, read 3,773,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Already 82 F at 11 AM, which is the predicted high. Cue in the start of the underestimated high temperatures season. I bet we hit at least 85-86 F today.

Low didn't drop below 74 F last night. If we're going to get this type of weather, it may as well be wet season. One reason I hate spring more than summer down here.
I even saw some convective showers around this afternoon. A fitting end to a record warm winter I guess.

Old 02-27-2017, 06:17 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,406,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
I even saw some convective showers around this afternoon. A fitting end to a record warm winter I guess.
All 3 months of winter averaged highs above 80 in Miami! Quite warm! Here Feb should finish with an average high of nearly 67; wished it was 1 degree warmer just to get the novelty of a 20c average high in a winter month.

Old 02-27-2017, 06:19 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,361,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
Same here, though of course none of them hit here lol but I did see lots of convective clouds. Sun is getting strong enough again to create instability?

High hit 84 F today, lower than what I was predicting but still higher than what NWS predicted. Right now it's warm and muggy at 77 F with a 70 F dew point. Avocado plant is loving this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather