Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2016, 07:17 PM

3,314 posts, read 2,216,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
Arizona is a gorgeous state ,only behind california in lemon production. Arizona provides a nice amount of americas tangerines, oranges and grapefruit to america. I love rain , thunderstorms and wet climates but these dry climates produce some amazing things. None of the the major cities in the texas triangle are particularly dry, even inland cities like Dallas, San antonio and Austin have around the same average rainfall than supposedly rainy cities like seattle, more than supposedly rainy cities like london or paris

Why is inland texas so bad, isnt the texas hill country amazing? wineries,olive oil,lavender ,etc amazing tech city like austin right there. they build that Japanese bullet train and expand it to entire texas triangle and unite the texas triangle , build higher density futuristic cites, do something about the the pouring of guns into texas streets and crime, build more civilized Asian or European cities that work and the texas triangle will be the center of America

amazing region and topography and especially the economy in the the texas triangle

texas hill country

lavender- hill coutnry

olive oil- hill country

winery hill country
Beautiful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 08:21 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,454,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIRAL View Post
Subtropical is a gradient, and it looks like Durban is on the tropical end of that gradient. I wonder which continent has Tom77falcon's favorite subtropical climates?
That streetview is virtually indistinguishable from a location that has a true tropical climate. Therefore, I disagree with the statement it looks "more subtropical" than the SE US.

In fact, I would argue that the US has the most distinctive subtropical biome on earth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aKkEdpYQQA

Old 08-09-2016, 08:26 PM

470 posts, read 454,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat15 View Post
That streetview is virtually indistinguishable from a location that has a true tropical climate. Therefore, I disagree with the statement it looks "more subtropical" than the SE US.

In fact, I would argue that the US has the most distinctive subtropical biome on earth.

In another note, I agree that the US South subtropics is quite distinctive, and actually has quite an attractive aesthetic, which looks warmer and "more tropical" than many other subtropical biomes around the world that actually are warmer.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:33 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
^^^ Also looks less subtropical than many subtropical biomes that are colder, such as the warm humid Oceanic climates

Old 08-09-2016, 08:39 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,927,543 times
Texas winters ain't that bad. Keep in mind that February in Amarillo, way up north in the Panhandle, resembles June in Jackson, Wyoming. Same freakish diurnal range with warm days and freezing nights.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:44 PM

470 posts, read 454,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
^^^ Also looks less subtropical than many subtropical biomes that are colder, such as the warm humid Oceanic climates
Only those like New Zealand or Bermuda. Other oceanic climates don't really have that "subtropical" aesthetic.

The superfluity of spanish moss in the South is a large factor in its aesthetic. Spanish moss grows alot in the tropical Americas; to have an abundance of such a tropical American plant naturally in your region does huge favors, aesthetic wise.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:50 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Texas winters ain't that bad. Keep in mind that February in Amarillo, way up north in the Panhandle, resembles June in Jackson, Wyoming. Same freakish diurnal range with warm days and freezing nights.
Actually not quite, Amarillo has a mean of 40.3 F (4.6 C) in February while Jackson has a mean of 55.2 F (12.9 C) in June so a rather noticeable difference. I would say it's more like the end of April/beginning of May in Jackson.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:50 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIRAL View Post
Only those like New Zealand or Bermuda. Other oceanic climates don't really have that "subtropical" aesthetic.

The superfluity of spanish moss in the South is a large factor in its aesthetic. Spanish moss grows alot in the tropical Americas; to have an abundance of such a tropical American plant naturally in your region does huge favors, aesthetic wise.
Those other oceanic climates aren't subtropical biomes though.

Agree about spanish moss, The areas that have it, have one of the best looks around.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:50 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,330,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat15 View Post

That is a gorgeous video. Amazing tree canopy and vegetation. Anybody who says the southern coast is not one of the most amazing humid subtropical places on the planet should watch that.

Is that near us-17 or part of the coastal highway? I think the coastal highway route 17 is one of the most gorgeous drives anyone could ever take in America, alot like the pacific coast highway out west.Amazing vegetation and drive, and gorgeous architecture and cities, the trees and vegetation and rivers and creeks are amazing, especially so close to the ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
So you went to South Africa and saw a true non flawed subtropical climate? Depressing isn't it?

Kind of how I felt when I got to Barcelona for the first time, looked around and thought how on earth are they further from the sun than where I am yet look better than northern FL in palms and subtropicals (not to mention parrots flying around everywhere). North America (eastern side) stinks when it comes to subtropical climates.
Florida has tons of invasive and introduced "wild" parrots like Barcelona, florida is a beacon for morons who want to buy exotic pets. the everglades is a perfect dumping ground for these morons who buy snakes and exotic birds that are invasive and introduced to our region

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I live in Texas and love the hot weather. My husband and I get out and walk for an hour most days. He is 70, I'm 60.
Best post on this thread. So many millions and millions of retirees to hot regions, the top place for retirees are florida, arizona, the carolinas,texas and georgia .I find retirees much more physically active and outdoors oriented , much more civically and politically involved than younger people.

The horrible "heat" keeps younger people indoors playing video games and on their computers. Very air conditioned and softer generations than before

Last edited by floridanative10; 08-09-2016 at 10:05 PM..

Old 08-09-2016, 10:07 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,454,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
That is a gorgeous video. Amazing tree canopy and vegetation. Anybody whio says the southern coast is not one of the most amazing humid subtropical places on the planet should watch that.

Is that near us-17 or part of the coastal highway? I think the coastal highway route 17 is one of the most gorgeous drives anyone could ever take in America, alot like the pacific coast highway out west.Amazing vegetation and drive, and gorgeous architecture and cities, the trees and vegetation and rivers and creeks are amazing, especially so close to the ocean
The first part of the video is Cordillo Parkway on Hilton Head Island, and the second clip is US 80 in Savannah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather