Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2018, 06:30 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,896,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptunepenguins View Post
That low temperature is horrible. Although the dewpoints here have been around 75F to 81F/24C to 27C(The upper range was at 100 percent realitive humidity and very cloudy so it wasn't very hot, just extremely humid.) and it has been pretty bad. It culminated at 95F/35C and a dewpoint of 76F, making the heat index 109F/43C. Yeah I can't wait until this humidity lowers a bit. Take this back to Galveston please!
Agree. That forecast looks like it was designed by someone who was trying to make a Top 5 horrible climate, lol. Dust storms and a LOW of 87 F? Horrid.

Sounds like it's the heat that's going to make it miserable in your location

70 F here with 95% humidity but luckily the "Real Feel" is 71 F.

Hopefully you get some relief soon. I can't imagine trying to get anything done outside there with that kind of heat index.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2018, 06:47 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,005,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I agree that Houston weather is actually very nice. Love the summer rainfall too.

But Dallas and Austin are definitely not the worse when it comes to 100+ temps without a drop of rain. Want to see the worse? Come over to Inland California (Fresno, Bakersfield, San Bernardino) where there will be 115 degree heat waves without a single cloud in the sky. Where summer rain is as rare as snow in Florida. I don't care how dry it may be in Inland California; when the temps are that high and there's never any rain to cool things off, it's brutal, much more brutal than Houston.

Hottest temp for Fresno this summer/late spring has been 104
Only a handful of 70 degree lows thus far(lots of 60s and even 50s) edit: I counted seven 50f lows for this June alone.

Its been pretty windy, which helps take the sting out from the heat(April to July is the windy period for Fresno). Bakersfield doesn't get as windy as fresno. No clue on San Bernardino, but i guess it gets pretty windy cause it's in the high desert.

Houston hit 110 heat index yesterday and will probably hit 118 later in the summer

Houston hasn't seen a 60s low in how long? 0 60 degree lows for Houston this June and two 80 degree lows
It snowed twice in Houston last winter.
All that rain comes with a price: mold and floods

Texas loses MOST years. Stop.

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 06-23-2018 at 07:29 PM..

Old 06-23-2018, 07:19 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,302,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post

Hottest temp for Fresno this summer/late spring has been 104
Only a handful of 70 degree lows thus far(lots of 60s and even 50s)

Its been pretty windy, which helps take the sting out from the heat(April to July is the windy period for Fresno). Bakersfield doesn't get as windy as fresno. No clue on San Bernardino, but i guess it gets pretty windy cause it's in the high desert.

Houston hit 110 heat index yesterday and will probably hit 118 later in the summer

Houston hasn't seen a 60s low in how long?
It snowed twice in Houston last winter.
All that rain comes with a price: mold and floods

Texas loses MOST years. Stop.
You don't have a clue. Stop.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:59 PM

650 posts, read 450,295 times
Quote:
Where are you talking about? I thought the Gulf Coast gets significantly muggier, with dew points exceeding 80 and it being 97 degrees.
I live about 45 minutes north of Houston, but our dewpoints usually only average a little above 70F at the peak of the summer or so. Dewpoints above 75F here aren't that common, unlike Galveston, or even around Houston itself. Though weather.com said we had a temperature of 81F with a dewpoint of 81F a few days ago, which was about as high as I have seen here since I have been checking. It rained a few minutes after though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
LOL I doubt Houston would get a heat index that high anytime soon. This 109F heat index where I live was about as high as I have seen since I have kept up with the weather. Though I have to ask, has Houston even had a heat index of 118F? That seems unlikely to me.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:31 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,962,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Thank you, Texyn. In fact, San Bernardino is NOT the high desert and suffers from very stagnant air during the summer. Why else would they have such horrific smog?

Also this summer has been much cooler than normal all across California so far. Fresno gets far worse than what you're seeing these couple of weeks.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:36 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,962,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptunepenguins View Post
I live about 45 minutes north of Houston, but our dewpoints usually only average a little above 70F at the peak of the summer or so. Dewpoints above 75F here aren't that common, unlike Galveston, or even around Houston itself. Though weather.com said we had a temperature of 81F with a dewpoint of 81F a few days ago, which was about as high as I have seen here since I have been checking. It rained a few minutes after though.

LOL I doubt Houston would get a heat index that high anytime soon. This 109F heat index where I live was about as high as I have seen since I have kept up with the weather. Though I have to ask, has Houston even had a heat index of 118F? That seems unlikely to me.
Half the days in New Orleans there are 115 degree heat indices and 80 degree dew points. The other days its pouring but the heat indexes are still well above 100.

Isn't Houston the same, except the proportion of sunny days is higher, so average temps are higher?

Old 06-23-2018, 08:40 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,975,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIRAL View Post
What the title says. If you are one who likes a moderate climate, and expects one for the location, then inland Texas is the ultimate climate nightmare. During summer, expect weeks of temps in the triple digits, and without a drop of rain, despite abundant low-level moisture from the Gulf; you can thank mid-level high pressure for this, which always seems to set up in inland Texas for some strange reason. Meanwhile, it turns around, and gets blasts of freezing cold air during winter, thanks to lack of moderation of cold airmasses coming down the plains. And in seasons where temps aren't extreme (spring and fall), there are loads upon loads of severe, tornado-spawning storms.

Places in other parts of the world at the latitude of Texas don't deal with all of these problems at once. The Sahara gets even drier, but no freakish cold, or tornadoes there, for instance. Many other parts obviously have a worse climate for me (Midwest, Northeast, etc), but I focus on Texas here because one would expect a far more equitable climate given its latitude (it should be having warmer, frostless winters), and location near the Gulf (summers in inland parts of the state should be far, far wetter).

With that said, there are two areas of the state I take exception to in this matter:

1.) Southeast Texas: Inlcudes the Houston Metro and the Golden Triangle (Beamont, Port Arthur, etc), and extends as far inland as Toledo Bend. This region of Texas, at least, has decent summer rainfall on average, and offers the only real chance of plentiful summer precipitation in the state. Keeps summer temps from reaching freakish levels. Along the Gulf Coast, winter temps are moderate enough to allow decent cultivation of subtropical plants (date palms, citrus, etc).

2.)Texas Gulf Coast: From Houston and Beaumont (great for aforementioned reasons), and extends down to Brownsville. The South Texas Gulf Coast (from Corpus Christi southwards) can get too dry for my liking, but at least temperatures stay relatively moderate, giving way to very glorious winters (the best in the US outside of Central/South Florida), great for cultivating great tropical plants (even coconut palms).

Unfortunately, these are small areas of such a large state; if at least half the state was like the two areas above, then there would be little complaints about the Texas climate. A poster by name of Tom77falcons says that North America is a climate fail; well, he should come to Texas is he wants to see what a true climate fail is (in terms of not living up to expectations).

What do you define as freakishly cold? I have a feeling it's not even on the cold radar for a Midwesterner.

We received 110 inches of snow in my city in Indiana last year, be glad you don't have that.

Old 06-24-2018, 10:22 AM

187 posts, read 128,673 times
Weeks without rain? Um no..it rains here! It did just the other day!

Old 06-24-2018, 03:53 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,005,605 times
Quote:
Thank you, Texyn. In fact, San Bernardino is NOT the high desert and suffers from very stagnant air during the summer. Why else would they have such horrific smog?

Also this summer has been much cooler than normal all across California so far. Fresno gets far worse than what you're seeing these couple of weeks.

Delete post

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 06-24-2018 at 04:23 PM..

Old 06-24-2018, 04:07 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,302,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
Smh. Where do I begin...
He doesn't like the dry, dusty climate of Fresno. Simple as that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather