Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 02:33 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
My favorite climate does exist. Its never hotter than mid 70s nor colder than 50 degrees, It has a view of palm trees and mountains all in one glance. Its Escazu or Santa Ana Costa Rica at about 5000 feet above sea level.

Sounds similar to Volcano, Hawaii at approximately 4,000 ft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 09:42 AM
tij

453 posts, read 336,895 times
The defining feature for my climate I feel could be interpreted in multiple ways...

If I definite it as oceanicity (a moderated winter-summer difference) then I would probably want to go for something like Long Island for <0c winters and >22c summers. Long Island gets good sunshine and precip, and can get interesting nor'easters as well.

If I instead define it as a chill/dormancy/snow-is-possible period, I feel something like northern Portugal/New Zealand or would be nice on the more seasonal end, to highland Mexico/SW China on the less seasonal end. Addis Ababa is good as well.

Old 04-23-2019, 07:32 PM

99 posts, read 56,873 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huambo#Climate

Mild temps with days that aren't too hot and nights that are a bit cool. Distinct wet season and dry season. Very stable all year round.

Old 04-24-2019, 04:52 AM

1,503 posts, read 912,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
You could pick a place that last had snow pre-1982, or when this city was still thriving:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranium_City

Such as Miami, FL. One snow in 1977, last freeze on Christmas Day 1989. If it's Christmas Day it doesn't count. EVERYONE loves snow on Christmas Day, even if they are normally a warm/hot weather lover who hates cold.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami#Climate
Bit of an odd definition of "everyone". If snow started falling on Christmas Day in say, Darwin, I'm sure most inhabitants would regard it as something like the start of the apocalypse.

Old 04-24-2019, 06:12 AM

5,195 posts, read 1,868,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisfbath View Post
Bit of an odd definition of "everyone". If snow started falling on Christmas Day in say, Darwin, I'm sure most inhabitants would regard it as something like the start of the apocalypse.
Yeah. I don't want snow on Christmas Day, so it should be "everyone but Eman Resu VIII and a few other people".

Old 04-24-2019, 06:51 AM

My ideal climates are ones which are humid tropical but without excessive heat, so with average highs reaching at least around 24C in the coolest month and not much more than about 30C in the hottest month. If that didn't exist I'd chose a humid tropical climate like Singapore even if it is on the hot side.

Old 04-24-2019, 07:57 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,893,180 times
My favorite climate feature is a long, snowy winter.

If I couldn't have this I would choose a subpolar oceanic climate like Dalwhinnie.

Old 04-24-2019, 10:20 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,539,436 times
My favorite climate is warm (but not too hot) and wet year round. A good example would be Medellin.

Another tropical highland location but with more seasonality with regards to rainfall would be Bandung.

Even more seasonal variation but still relatively warm and wet year round would be places like northern Taiwan, Okinawa, SE Queensland/NE NSW, east coast of Florida from Daytona to Ft. Lauderdale, southern coast of Brazil.

Places that commonly see at least one annual freeze would be southern Alabama and the Florida Panhandle.

Places with a decent chance of seeing snow would be Birmingham, Alabama and Shanghai.

Avg winter lows below 32F -> Louisville, Kentucky

Old 04-25-2019, 12:54 AM

5,984 posts, read 3,454,887 times
If I can't have any real cold or snow?

Hmm, I guess it would still be nice to have chilly summers with lots of drizzle and/or fog. Maybe something like Wellington or San Fransisco just near the bay. They are C/C- climates.

La Paz @3250m is also a non-offensive climate that never really gets below -1 or -2 C (it's not good either, obviously). C+/C climate. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Paz#Climate

Old 04-25-2019, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman Resu VIII View Post
Yeah. I don't want snow on Christmas Day, so it should be "everyone but Eman Resu VIII and a few other people".
What about "everyone but Eman Resu VIII, BISFBath and most of the inhabitants of the southern hemisphere and tropics"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather