Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 08:25 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
They will probably get a lot more snow if they were on the western Atlantic side.

If they were in the western Atlantic, they would have much warmer water around them and I doubt any snow. If they are around the same longitude as Bermuda, no snow I would think with water temps around 60F in winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 04:40 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,010,474 times
How about if there were landmasses in the empty spaces where the oceans currently are?

Old 09-01-2016, 05:54 AM

1,292 posts, read 1,042,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackierudetsky View Post
How about if there were landmasses in the empty spaces where the oceans currently are?
Make a thread on that. Much more interesting than moving continents around.

On the New Zealand question:
It depends on how it would be affected by the Gulf Stream. The high mountains would probably affect climates in other places in interesting ways.

Old 09-01-2016, 03:41 PM

3,500 posts, read 2,784,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
If they were in the western Atlantic, they would have much warmer water around them and I doubt any snow. If they are around the same longitude as Bermuda, no snow I would think with water temps around 60F in winter.

The northern parts of New Zealand might. Look at how much snow St John's gets.

Old 09-01-2016, 03:49 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,501,903 times
I think the premise of the entire thing was that Cape Reinga would be some way east of Bermuda, causing chillier summer temperatures since the Bermuda climate is extraordinary tropical for such a northerly location as well as being two degrees further north. Due to that I believe the climate would be more similar to Madeira in the current far north of NZ.

Old 09-01-2016, 03:52 PM

This is roughly what I based my guess on Invercargill from but with cooler inland blasts bringing down summer night temperatures to maybe 10, maybe 13...

Did you know about the climate of that isolated island Gordo, since you're Canadian after all?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sable_Island#Climate

Old 09-01-2016, 03:54 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,357,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
If it were at the same longitude as Bermuda it would range from 34 N to 48 N just east of the east coast. Look at St. John's at 47 N for reference, northern New Zealand would be similar to that.

Old 09-01-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
If it were at the same longitude as Bermuda it would range from 34 N to 48 N just east of the east coast. Look at St. John's at 47 N for reference, northern New Zealand would be similar to that.
Yeah, I think except coastal areas, since it'd be a degree south and more outward the Atlantic - lesser continental effects. What a 'New Zealand' would do though is to strengthen the effects of the Newfoundland summers because of the warm continental air that would be formed on the lowlands near Christchurch and travelling upwards. St John's would maybe get a climate more similar to Nova Scotia in that case...

Old 09-01-2016, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
I think the premise of the entire thing was that Cape Reinga would be some way east of Bermuda, causing chillier summer temperatures since the Bermuda climate is extraordinary tropical for such a northerly location as well as being two degrees further north. Due to that I believe the climate would be more similar to Madeira in the current far north of NZ.
In my scenario Cape Reinga would be slightly closer to the Azores Islands than Bermuda. And about 2 degrees further north.

I tested this in google maps, but unfortunately for some reason I can't get my photos to show on my settings.

Old 09-01-2016, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
This is roughly what I based my guess on Invercargill from but with cooler inland blasts bringing down summer night temperatures to maybe 10, maybe 13...

Did you know about the climate of that isolated island Gordo, since you're Canadian after all?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sable_Island#Climate

Yes I am aware of it, and have looked at the climate before. Too bad it's so close to Atlantic Canada. If this climate was further out in the ocean it would probably be even more interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather