Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2016, 06:56 AM

11,646 posts, read 12,890,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
The greenery in Darwin looks fantastic tho. On Google Street View it seems so tropical and lush
I don't like places that are too lush and green btw. They're too cloying. I prefer "Mediterranean-like" environments that have an olive tint to them with scrubs and heaths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 07:07 AM

126 posts, read 88,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
What's the name of your city again? Can't believe that it's escaped my mind. I used to know it. It had two words I think?
Renmark Great climate, when the temps follow the average! Last October was legendary, but was overseas. This Cocktober is a dog's ass.

Quote:
Yeah, Darwin is a bigger city and it's good for those who like sultry, consistently hot weather. But would you stand the torrential rain and its wet season? Furthermore, do you like humid heat or dry heat? In other words, do you prefer Mecca or Kuala Lumpur? I know you like hot weather, but you also seem to be into thunderstorms and humidity. What type of "hot" do you prefer?
It would be a shock to the system, but it is only humid during the wet season. During the dry, dewpoints can be in the negatives. But yeah, when it is humid, it is HUMID. I would LOVE Darwin during the wet season, those legendary thunderstorms would be an epic experience. I have experienced electrical storms here in Renmark which were only the realm of fantasy before moving up here. The last storm outbreak a couple weeks ago produced some of the most unreal electrical activity I ever seen. Lucky I don't have epilepsy, otherwise I would probably be dead, 100% Flashes were still visible along the horizon when the storms were 300km away. When storms fire up in the Riverland, they are amazing, both in structure and in electrical activity, and there is no coastal cloud and fog to block the action. These cells are all in clear air in all their glory.

Mecca and Kuala Lumpur are two vastly different kettles of fish. Kuala Lumpur is Darwin's wet season all year, I would want a period of sunshine and dry like in Darwin. I think Darwin gets bigger and more photogenic storms though, with more clearance to view them, and much higher temps a short distance inland. It has been said that the cells over Darwin often reach 60,000ft. There is a huge amount of heating and moisture energy to work with. The activity there is legendary for a reason. Kuala Lumpur is I think far more cloudy and embedded. Not as visually spectacular.

Old 10-13-2016, 07:37 AM

765 posts, read 571,943 times
Quote:
The greenery in Darwin looks fantastic tho. On Google Street View it seems so tropical and lush
It does look really nice, I'd definitely consider living there. But it does have its drawbacks, the beaches, for instance, are unswimmable year round which is a shame, the landscape is a little dull (compare it to Cairns) and it would be a bit of a come down after living in a big city.

Old 10-13-2016, 07:40 AM

126 posts, read 88,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lab276 View Post
It does look really nice, I'd definitely consider living there. But it does have its drawbacks, the beaches, for instance, are unswimmable year round which is a shame, the landscape is a little dull (compare it to Cairns) and it would be a bit of a come down after living in a big city.
Don't give a rat's ass about beaches and the clear-air 60,000ft tall Cumulonimbus and epic electrical outbreaks and downpours more than make up for the landscape "issue"

I would live there in a heart beat if real estate wasn't so expensive. Although some rental flats may be within my price range ....

What's interesting is that Cairns is actually mild compared to Darwin, and Cairns hardly ever gets thunderstorms.

Old 10-13-2016, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beercoholism View Post
Don't give a rat's ass about beaches and the clear-air 60,000ft tall Cumulonimbus and epic electrical outbreaks and downpours more than make up for the landscape "issue"

I would live there in a heart beat if real estate wasn't so expensive. Although some rental flats may be within my price range ....

What's interesting is that Cairns is actually mild compared to Darwin, and Cairns hardly ever gets thunderstorms.
Going into the sea is great though, I'd miss it.

Coastal Qld is mild all the way down, compare it to places like Broome and Port Hedland. It's pretty cool how that happens.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:15 AM

11,556 posts, read 9,294,871 times
Omg yes Cairns looks even more lush!!! I think that part of the world, Oceania and Southeast Asia, has the most beautiful and lush greenery in the world. Probably because stable climate+lots of rainfall+lots of sunshine. One thing I dont like about South America is the instability, which makes landscapes a bit ugly in the lower half of the continent. Imagine if Argentina was as stable as Australia! You would have gorgeous coconut palms and stunning vines right outside Buenos Aires! I think the lushest places in South America would be Costa Verde in Brazil, parts of the Amazon, the beach around Maceio and Recife, and maybe the pacific coast of Ecuador/Colombia. If only South America was more stable *sigh*

Old 10-13-2016, 08:23 AM

Rainfall variability is pretty high in Townsville though, no joke they got less than 400mm of rain last year, but in 2010 I think it was over 2000mm. Cairns is more stable though, even Sydney's more stable.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:33 AM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 1,998,692 times
Quote:
Omg yes Cairns looks even more lush!!! I think that part of the world, Oceania and Southeast Asia, has the most beautiful and lush greenery in the world. Probably because stable climate+lots of rainfall+lots of sunshine. One thing I dont like about South America is the instability, which makes landscapes a bit ugly in the lower half of the continent. Imagine if Argentina was as stable as Australia! You would have gorgeous coconut palms and stunning vines right outside Buenos Aires! I think the lushest places in South America would be Costa Verde in Brazil, parts of the Amazon, the beach around Maceio and Recife, and maybe the pacific coast of Ecuador/Colombia. If only South America was more stable *sigh*
The vegetation here are really lush,but we do have a short dry season(we are on it now),and depending on how dry it are(but still with high humidity),it make grass looks brown until December/January.
The interesting fact here is because if you go 150km to the interior you will find another world,the climate there are so dry that 90% of trees loses their leaves,the place really looks like hell.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:24 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,582,380 times
A fast moving hail band just passed over, with about 10 minutes of hail and thunder and some strong gusts. Temperature dropped from around 19C to 11C.

Picked up 19mm of rain over about 30 minutes.

Last edited by Joe90; 10-13-2016 at 09:19 PM..

Old 10-13-2016, 08:27 PM

2,944 posts, read 2,902,373 times
A couple of days with good action here. Both thundestorms in Buenos Aires and Cordoba and snowfalls in Patagonia.

Lightning from one of those cells in Rio de la Plata yesteday:

Río Gallegos covered with snow today:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather