Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 05:00 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,272,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
Environment Canada has Duncan looking cooler in terms of yearly mean than London/Seattle though mainly because of the frequent minor frosts during winter...

Or is it full of microclimates everywhere on that island?
Vancouver Island has many micro climates.

In the middle it has 2200 m mountains / 7,000 ft

On the west coast, very mild, but very rainy,
Amphitrite point has january mean about 6C ....slightly warmer than London, UK
Downside is massive rainfall and cool summers...summer temps like Eureka, CA.

East coast is not as mild in winter but not nearly as rainy, consequently
the east coast is much more populated.

East coast winter average temps are lower than London, UK, not a lot lower, but lower,
however many places have higher average highs than anywhere in the UK,
and higher annual sunshine than anywhere in the UK too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 05:13 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,504,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
Well I think it's weird that a place with -1 / 16c climate would be considered as continental (some places in Denmark ?) while a place with a 2 / 21c would be considered oceanic, especially considering the latter has a greater difference between seasons. If we follow the Koppen rule, there's a problem here.
The lack of harsh frosts significantly impacts a climate though. If you look at the nature around Gothenburg with its frequent frosts and compare it to say... Stuttgart you'll see a massive difference. There is only a minor difference between southern Sweden's -1 climates (upwards from Scania) and central Sweden's -4 climates when looking at the forests.

Old 09-04-2016, 05:32 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
So a place that's constantly 5 C is "warmer" than a place that has 0 C averages in winter and 30 C averages in summer, and a 15 C annual mean.

Got it.

This is retarded.
That is not the comparison though, nice strawman. The constantly 5°C climate would be tundra, and theoretically nothing would grow. Stop being ridiculous.

We are comparing two places that see a warmest month well over 10°C, so both have growing seasons and vegetation

Old 09-04-2016, 05:34 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
But a climate that doesn't get frost snow or freezes would be warmer than a place that does, because those colder conditions in the winter would affect what could grow!
I've been to Eureka (many years ago now), and didn't get the impression that it could grow what here could. Gardening forums also indicate that as well.

Yet here is frostier and colder during winter - what you say isn't necessarily correct at all times.

Old 09-04-2016, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I am a Palm tree lover and winter hater and even I would agree that Portland is warmer year round than Eureka. Eureka has a warmer winters and a higher hardiness zone but that's different than being warmer year round. Sometimes more palm trees does not always mean warmer.
You and I are normally in agreement...

What is your take on my Dallas vs Los Angeles downtown example, wouldn't you admit due to the much warmer winter, with no snow, no ice, no freezes that downtown Los Angeles is overall warmer than Dallas despite an annual average 1.6°F lower?

Old 09-04-2016, 05:37 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,363,072 times
Quote:
That is not the comparison though, nice strawman. The constantly 5°C climate would be tundra, and theoretically nothing would grow. Stop being ridiculous.

We are comparing two places that see a warmest month well over 10°C, so both have growing seasons and vegetation
I'm being ridiculous? Says the guy who judges a climate based off one season of the year. You're completely discounting annual mean which is a literal measure of how cold/warm a climate is to a measure of how many freaking palms grow.

Sometimes I can't tell if you're trolling or if you're really this stupid.

Old 09-04-2016, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I've been to Eureka (many years ago now), and didn't get the impression that it could grow what here could. Gardening forums also indicate that as well.

Yet here is frostier and colder during winter - what you say isn't necessarily correct at all times.
Only marginally so in your case, you are only one Zone lower than Eureka (9B vs 10A). And I imagine Eureka prob can't do citrus that well, due to not enough summer warmth or overall sunlight (foggy there alot)

Old 09-04-2016, 05:39 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,363,072 times
Quote:
You and I are normally in agreement...

What is your take on my Dallas vs Los Angeles downtown example, wouldn't you admit due to the much warmer winter, with no snow, no ice, no freezes that downtown Los Angeles is overall warmer than Dallas despite an annual average 1.6°F lower?
L.A. is cooler in spring and summer, and the difference between the winters aren't as much as the difference between the summers.

Seriously, this is the most moronic logic I've ever read.

Old 09-04-2016, 05:41 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
Quote:
Only marginally so in your case, you are only one Zone lower than Eureka (9B vs 10A). And I imagine Eureka prob can't do citrus that well, due to not enough summer warmth or overall sunlight (foggy there alot)
Yep, there is a point at which lack of summer heat impacts the look a place can have.

Despite the warmer zone of Eureka, I'm willing to bet that my area can grow more frost tender plants.

Old 09-04-2016, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I'm being ridiculous? Says the guy who judges a climate based off one season of the year. You're completely discounting annual mean which is a literal measure of how cold/warm a climate is to a measure of how many freaking palms grow.

Sometimes I can't tell if you're trolling or if you're really this stupid.
Well, I define cold by the scientific definition, which is lack of warmth.

I am neither trolling nor stupid. And winter is the biggest shaper of a climates vegetation. Take where you live for example, if Miami's averages were 5°F colder in winter and 5°F hotter in summer, it would be an entirely different landscape, and all the coconut palms and other tropicals down there probably wouldn't exist due to winter being to cold.

And Death Valley, CA has the same annual mean as Miami give or take, but even with irigation, you couldn't get a tropical to grow in Death Valley, those 65/37 avgs in Jan are too cold, despite 115/88 normals in July.

I rest my case
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather