Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2016, 12:14 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,189,039 times

Advertisements

Specticular view from the mountains this morning. Unfortunately not for me as it's all foggy from my window.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 04:55 AM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
But from what I saw of the Adirondacks, overall looked less alpine than the Whites and clearly lower. I think I'd still like the Whites better, but the Adirondacks looks like they have some really nice spots. There's a different look to the mountains; more solid rock slabs on the slopes. Lots of medium-sized peaks that provide a good backdrop; the Adirondacks and Whites have about the same # of peaks of 4000 feet, but the tallest White peaks are taller. The Whites peaks are more in closely connected chain, while the Adirondacks look a bit more separated; perhaps making it feel like there's more mountains. I had a loop I was planning on doing the next day that was excited about (Gothics and both Wolfjaws). Shame I missed out, was looking forward to seeing what they were liked, unlike a Whites trip which would be a repeat
Awesome read! I didn't know that there is about the same amount of 4000' peaks, that's cool info! And nice catch on the closeness of the peaks! You turned my light bulb on why I like the views better in the ADK. That is an excellent reminder. I like the separate view of the peaks, gives it a better more isolated feeling? I noticed the Rock slabs as well but no idea about the whites other than your comments and pics.

Quote:
Must have unconscious as I don't remember stuff; could have just blacked out. No idea. Was going about 30 mph. Yes, hospital in Saranac Lake. They released me after about 3 hours, sent me a taxi to take me to my car. There was thick fog at 11 pm that day, huge diurnal range and fast temperature drop, must have gone down to the 30s by sunset. Saranac Lake is a big frost hollow. I drove to the site of the accident and looked for bike; walked for like 45 minutes. Kinda wanted to, was stiff laying in the hospital bed. Bike was taken by the local fire department, got it the next day. Still recovering, in some ways worse; some stiff and pain set up in afterward.

I have no idea what caused the accident; I read on the internet that bicycles can prone to woddles at high speed if the weight combination and speed is a certain way. I've felt minor wobbles before, but they've always damped down, maybe I reacted badly. Bike is fine, spokes got a bit loose but shop fixed that in 5 minutes. Heavy steel bikes are hardy.

No gravel, I don't really understand the cause which scares me.

Just thought about something just now... Do you think someone messed with your bike when you hiked to the top? Since it happened on the way down I thought maybe someone did something when you left it alone? Why though? I cant imagine that on the trails/mountains since there is a form of respect & Courtesy always in the mountains. Was it crowded? Did you p.iss anyone off? lol

But I'm leaning towards the speed and weight as you mentioned. Maybe tire wasn't inflated properly?

You probably did a Daniel Larusso (Karate Kid 1) on that bike throwing it in the dumpster in anger. lol

Anyway -- glad your back!!

Quote:
again you commented on the natural landscape photos and not the town photos

I know the comment was to Rozenn but I'm the same way. Something about town photos that is like, yeah yeah, I see that driving all the time; but unseen landscape terrain without any humans around is special. lol

Old 10-12-2016, 05:03 AM

Cool! From NWS Binghamton

Old 10-12-2016, 07:13 AM

Hi-Res Satellite image shows very well where the Fall colors are peaking. Clear day so no clouds in the way now. You can go back in time as well. I believe they update once a day at 8am

Old 10-12-2016, 07:24 AM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,005,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Hi-Res Satellite image shows very well where the Fall colors are peaking. Clear day so no clouds in the way now. You can go back in time as well. I believe they update once a day at 8am

This are very useful,but the problem is the amount of clouds,who difficulty my view.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:13 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,739,523 times
sunrise this morning

Old 10-12-2016, 03:25 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,386,009 times
Today afternoon about 4pm

Old 10-12-2016, 03:48 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Awesome read! I didn't know that there is about the same amount of 4000' peaks, that's cool info! And nice catch on the closeness of the peaks! You turned my light bulb on why I like the views better in the ADK. That is an excellent reminder. I like the separate view of the peaks, gives it a better more isolated feeling? I noticed the Rock slabs as well but no idea about the whites other than your comments and pics.
here's both ranges at the same scale including the section of both where most of their peaks are

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.1527.../data=!5m1!1e4

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.1273.../data=!5m1!1e4

very different looking geography; Whites definitely look bulkier. Hmm, maybe you actually like ADK views better, but perhaps the difference is you haven't been to the Whites in person? I haven't been to any summit besides Whiteface so hard to judge. Here's a map showing where Northeast 4000 footers are

http://www.peakbagger.com/list.aspx?lid=511#ListMap

Quote:
But I'm leaning towards the speed and weight as you mentioned. Maybe tire wasn't inflated properly?
No idea, but don't think anything's wrong with the bike.

Quote:
I know the comment was to Rozenn but I'm the same way. Something about town photos that is like, yeah yeah, I see that driving all the time; but unseen landscape terrain without any humans around is special. lol
I've made that comment because Rozenn's said the reverse; he's seen plenty of forests and mountains before but American towns look different than ones from his home so he likes those photos more.

Last edited by nei; 10-12-2016 at 04:03 PM..

Old 10-12-2016, 03:50 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,732,125 times
Quote:
Streams whose watershed is dominated by the highest elevations in the Cascades peak in the summer rather than spring, as higher warmth = more snowmelt at the highest altitudes and there's glacier melt.
Makes sense. Summers are probably cooler than in our mountains. Here there isn't much snow left to melt by mid-June.

Quote:
The tunnel and elevator or the road climb? Whiteface has almost the same elevation gain and distance as Alp d'Huez.
Yeah tunnel and elevator. Kinda ridiculous tbh, I guess it must be quite a popular summit to visit. Impressive climb btw. Makes me think that I haven't used my bike much this year.

Quote:
Technically New York State, so not New England. Not like a state border creates a big cultural change. Felt like it should be New England from landscape.
From across the Atlantic, the borders of New England are quite blurry.

Quote:
Didn't know they were common in Europe, too. Different style than ours. Like the design at the top and the open sides. Can't get a picture out of ours because it's too dark inside
They aren't common, in fact I have only seen them in Germany and Switzerland. Apparently there are a handful in France, but you'd have to come out of your way to see one. Ditto for other countries AFAIK.

Quote:
Some nice colored houses, where is this? Southern Germany? Like the woods and homes here
Yep, it's Tuttlingen and Ulm, in Baden-Württemberg.

Quote:
again you commented on the natural landscape photos and not the town photos
To be fair, you didn't post many town photos this time. No comment doesn't mean that I don't enjoy them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
sunrise this morning
Eerie! Sunrise this morning:

Old 10-12-2016, 03:54 PM

Quote:
here's both ranges at the same scale including the section of both where most of their peaks are

very different looking geography; Whites definitely look bulkier.
Same link on both
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather