Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2016, 11:10 AM

24,144 posts, read 24,675,564 times

Advertisements

Die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 02:14 PM

8,161 posts, read 8,697,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
How about now? Not often I see a horse in the woods.

[...]

Jogger enjoying the crisp morning. 49F (9C)
Cambium takes people photos. I've seen it all.

Last night didn't drop below 17°C/63°F. Sometimes I forget we're in late October, you guys remind it to me.

Went for a walk up the Sainte Baume range between World famous Le Luc and Marseille. It's basically a 20-km long cliff on an east-west axis. Mary Magdalene, the first witness of Jesus' resurrection, is said to have lived 30 years in a cave in the cliff after fleeing the Holy Land. To climb the "mountain", I used the "Path of the Kings". A lot of popes and French Kings, among which Louis XIV, have taken this path during their pilgrimage to the cave.

Being on the north side of the range in a relatively wet place (it gets about the double of Marseille's precipitation), the vegetation isn't what you typically encounter along the Med.

Among the people who acted to protect the forest were:
- Pope Boniface VIII threatens to excommunicate whoever touches a tree in this forest.
- Robert, king of Naples and count of Provence
- Louis II, count of Provence, forbidding logging and grazing there
- King Francis I
- King Henry II
- King Charles IX

Spoiler

The vegetation is still mediterranean.

Now looking more exotic:

'tis the way!

Reaching the clouds

Spoiler

There are nice views from the top (just below 1000 m).
Spoiler
Looking east towards Nice:

North, one can see the Provençal Prealps:

Marseille is only 30 km away as the crow flies:

To the south one can see the Mediterranean, less than 20 km away:

Slightly eerie atmosphere with the fog.

Spoiler

Blair witch's house. I heard strange noises passing by. Needless to say, I hastened my pace.

Soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0Ft...ature=youtu.be

I was bare chested, talking loudly on my phone while yelling at my unleashed dog. At least I don't smoke.
Spoiler

The sanctuary. One couldn't see the top of the cliff above as the visibility was pretty low.

Spoiler

Unusual location for a church

These tall beeches look completely out of place in a dry-summer climate.

Spoiler

Yew undergrowth, beech, oak and maple canopy

Hard to believe that this is just 30 km away:
Spoiler

Full overcast

Spoiler

Finally some color!

Old 10-25-2016, 02:34 PM

2,116 posts, read 1,716,470 times
Quote:
Went for a local hike today...

20-30 minutes north of me. I guess the bareness is on its way. lol

When you can see the hills behind all the trees, I know I'm in the better season.

Weird to see. There's always a swamp and water in there with frogs. Dry. Drought.

Carpet of Leaves.

Pretty much all types are down, even oaks. Maybe 20% still on trees?

I heard some heavy stepping..... See anything?

How about now? Not often I see a horse in the woods.

Jogger enjoying the crisp morning. 49F (9C)

See anything?

I was like what the? Must be that time of year.

Your pics bring back so many memories. Hiking in fall is the best in New England. It's not too hot or too cold. The leaves crunching under your feet...ahhh

Old 10-25-2016, 04:38 PM

83,324 posts, read 74,639,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Cambium takes people photos. I've seen it all.
LOL. Notice, backside. Shhh, nobody knew I was taking one.

Quote:
Last night didn't drop below 17°C/63°F. Sometimes I forget we're in late October, you guys remind it to me.

Went for a walk up the Sainte Baume range between World famous Le Luc and Marseille..

That looks so weird. Looks like you're in the tropics. lol. So green!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
Nostalgia! Grew up in CT. Camping under or around pine trees was the best. That bed of pine needles was super comfortable to lay on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
Your pics bring back so many memories. Hiking in fall is the best in New England. It's not too hot or too cold. The leaves crunching under your feet...ahhh

Thanks! I had a picture of a Pine Forest I passed through and thought about you but came out over exposed so I didn't post. Yeah, While Summers are too Hot and Humid and Winters aren't Cold or Long enough, I do enjoy the seasons.

Speaking of........ I wasn't going to but I did...

My Grapefruit & Banana plant are inside now. Goodnight till May.

Out in May, In in October.

New growth!

Old 10-26-2016, 08:50 AM

22,118 posts, read 29,472,614 times
Roundhay Park

Old 10-26-2016, 10:28 AM

So about 4 months of full Green? Sounds about right.

Early May 2016 on left. End of October on right

This morning. 2nd frost in a row. Lowest of season. 32.3°. Another chance to officially hit freezing tonight again.

Grass blades. Light frost

Old 10-26-2016, 03:43 PM

8,161 posts, read 8,697,059 times
Quote:
That looks so weird. Looks like you're in the tropics. lol. So green!
How about now?

See the yellow Saharan dust in the air? It's waiting for the first downpour to stain my car.

Old 10-27-2016, 06:54 AM

Quote:
How about now?

See the yellow Saharan dust in the air? It's waiting for the first downpour to stain my car.
Crazy tropical. Interesting about the dusty rains. I remember back in the 1990s acid rain was something that was talked about around here. Don't here about that anymore. And I bet the car paints now are made to resist any rain drop damage.

Air temp is 35°F (1.6C) outside and it smells like snow again. Missed this! No frost anywhere. My ground thermometer showing me why.

Just loaded the stove.

Many neighbors got the wood stoves going on.. To be honest, this is the most firewood I needed in October since getting the stove in 2010. Been Cold

Old 10-27-2016, 07:15 AM

5,705 posts, read 3,755,344 times
Quote:
Crazy tropical. Interesting about the dusty rains. I remember back in the 1990s acid rain was something that was talked about around here. Don't here about that anymore. And I bet the car paints now are made to resist any rain drop damage.

Air temp is 35°F (1.6C) outside and it smells like snow again. Missed this! No frost anywhere. My ground thermometer showing me why.

Just loaded the stove.

Many neighbors got the wood stoves going on.. To be honest, this is the most firewood I needed in October since getting the stove in 2010. Been Cold

October is running 4F above normal in Bridgeport...Warmest since 2007.

Old 10-27-2016, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
October is running 4F above normal in Bridgeport...Warmest since 2007.
Go figure right? We get frosts, freezes, heaters needed, and snow events in the region while above normal in October. That's why I had to block someone. He didn't understand how to post the cold, snow, heat needed days and didn't understand that above normal month avg still meant chilly.

Look at what the 2 days of 80s and those 6 days did to the average. It's a joke. Otherwise it's been seasonable and chilly.

I'm not on the water like Bridgeport. I'm between Danbury and Bridgeport.

My average temp is upper 50s using the Highs and Lows even with the hot days.
My Average low is 48° this month.
4 times in the 30s.

Here's Danbury's data. Reds = Highs. Blues = Lows. Daily normal are the dots.

So yeah, I don't remember needing to light the stove this many times. Usually it's a couple days here and there in October, not 7 days worth. Havent been above 40s since Monday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather