Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 06:35 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,592,951 times

Advertisements

I'd put the habitable zone hugging the BC coast, then following but slightly north of the 'NO' line and turning north to hug the east coast up to NYC.

Everywhere south of that is habitable, apart from a few small areas of desert in the SW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 06:38 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,576,766 times
All of it is habitable, because people live there.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:34 AM

3,500 posts, read 2,786,052 times
If California, Florida, and Hawaii are death, why do people keep on moving there. There must be a lot of people who want to die.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:11 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,269,546 times
Map looks right too me, I'm in the "green" zone.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:22 AM

3,500 posts, read 2,786,052 times
NO way is the map right. Atlantic Canada should be in either the blue zone, the light blue zone, or the black zone.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:55 AM

5,271 posts, read 4,678,568 times
Of course it's not right, the subjective "habitable" zone doesn't depend only on the latitude, but on the longitude as well (usually the further east you go, the coldest the winter gets).

Is Cordova, Alaska cold? And even then, Saguenay, Quebec is supposed to be "habitable", when those winters are far colder than Cordova's.

Is Eureka, California "death"? It looks very mild.

Things I agree with:

Florida = Death. Yes, Florida's climate is really bad (to me at least) because it's hot and humid year round.
Hawaii = Death.
The Yellow no part = I totally agree
Satan's Armpit = Yes, that area is extremely hot.
Cold = Yes, that area is extremely cold (in winter).
Nope = That area is basically tundra

Things I partly agree with:

The Habitable Zone: I think Vancouver and Seattle have good climates but I don't agree with Winnipeg and Sept-Iles having a pleasant climate, because their winters are far too harsh.

Final thought: the map is too latitude based, it would have been interesting if the map included changes based on the longitude.

Vancouver is not the same as Baie-Comeau, for example.

The map is still funny by the way

Old 09-05-2016, 09:58 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,923,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post
I think it's way wrong, California has the best climates in the USA (especially the inland centre and north) and imo -30°C, which occurs in most of the green area, is not habitable, but that's just me.

Of course I realise it's just a joke map though.

Well at least Philly has never ever approached -22F. But that temp is probably all time record lows in many parts of that green zone.

Old 09-05-2016, 10:08 AM

2,197 posts, read 1,493,891 times
Not correct for me. I'd put the habitable line in a circle from the eastern frontier strip (Kansas, Nebraska, etc.) going around to eastern California, Oregon, and Washington then south cutting off southern Arizona all of Texas except the far west and the panhandle and cutting off North Dakota and northeastern Montana in the north. North and east of the circle would be cold, ending at about the boundary on this map. North of that and the west coast would be uninhabitable. The Midwest/northeast would be no and the I would agree on the southeast. Death would be reserved for a section of the west coast from Northern California to southern Alaska. In addition, I would put a great zone around the high plains from the Texas panhandle up to the black hills and west to the Rockies, and then across southern Montana up to northwest Montana.

Old 09-05-2016, 10:09 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,923,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
I'd put the habitable zone hugging the BC coast, then following but slightly north of the 'NO' line and turning north to hug the east coast up to NYC.

Everywhere south of that is habitable, apart from a few small areas of desert in the SW.

So a large part of the breadbasket of the US is "uninhabitable"? Here we go again. Because of the "bitterly cold winter" right? Uninhabitable is where you cannot sustain life and can't grow crops. Those green areas were settled in the 1800's and people survived fine there.

And Australia is probably vastly more uninhabitable than the US given their paltry rainfall and vast desert areas that could not sustain settlements in the 1800's. Interesting that the vast population of Australia hugs the coast. That is because early explorers went over those hills into the interior and never came back. The opposite happened here. Lewis and Clark went west and came back with amazing stories.

Old 09-05-2016, 10:11 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,450,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Well at least Philly has never ever approached -22F. But that temp is probably all time record lows in many parts of that green zone.
Parts of the yellow zone as well, including Louisville and Knoxville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather