Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 07:07 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,505,587 times

Advertisements

That the climate on the Pacific Coast in California is extremely moderated is well-documented.

However, these cool nights astound me. How on earth can these ultra-moderated climates that normally (at least in Western Europe) are associated with low diurnal variation have so cool summer nights?

August average lows on or near the Pacific:

Monterey: 53.1/11.7
Salinas: 55.3/12.9
Santa Cruz: 53.9/12.2
Half Moon Bay: 52.7/11.5
San Francisco: 55.1/12.8
Fort Bragg: 49.4/9.7
Eureka: 52.8/11.6
Crescent City: 50.9/10.5

Given their latitudes, you'd imagine that nights should be 5 C warmer and much lower differences between days and nights.

This is contrasted by well-moderated west coast climates in Europe, Swedish isolated islands et cetera in terms of average lows.

My theories are twofold:

1) The water temperatures are such exceptionally low that they really need the daylight to get the temperatures to rise.

2) The summer nights are longer than in Northern Spain and in particular insular Sweden and the early sunrise at a maritime place keeps overnight lows at say 5 am much milder.

How do you lot explain the cold-ish lows at these super-maritime areas?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 07:45 PM

3,499 posts, read 2,787,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
That the climate on the Pacific Coast in California is extremely moderated is well-documented.

However, these cool nights astound me. How on earth can these ultra-moderated climates that normally (at least in Western Europe) are associated with low diurnal variation have so cool summer nights?

August average lows on or near the Pacific:

Monterey: 53.1/11.7
Salinas: 55.3/12.9
Santa Cruz: 53.9/12.2
Half Moon Bay: 52.7/11.5
San Francisco: 55.1/12.8
Fort Bragg: 49.4/9.7
Eureka: 52.8/11.6
Crescent City: 50.9/10.5

Given their latitudes, you'd imagine that nights should be 5 C warmer and much lower differences between days and nights.

This is contrasted by well-moderated west coast climates in Europe, Swedish isolated islands et cetera in terms of average lows.

My theories are twofold:

1) The water temperatures are such exceptionally low that they really need the daylight to get the temperatures to rise.

2) The summer nights are longer than in Northern Spain and in particular insular Sweden and the early sunrise at a maritime place keeps overnight lows at say 5 am much milder.

How do you lot explain the cold-ish lows at these super-maritime areas?

I could be wrong but I think it's because of the cold Pacific Current, and how much the semi arid/arid US Southwest heats up during the summer.

Old 09-05-2016, 07:53 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,505,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
I could be wrong but I think it's because of the cold Pacific Current, and how much the semi arid/arid US Southwest heats up during the summer.
It's peculiar though how cool inland areas' nights are, even in valleys.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gonzal...fornia#Climate

It's not just a coastal phenomenon, when even those super-hot Seville-like inland areas suddenly turn 'subarctic summer' at night-time...

Must be a combination of cool water temps with long nights... but also funny how mild nights are in Santa Barbara vs Monterey/Santa Cruz...

Old 09-05-2016, 08:22 PM

3,499 posts, read 2,787,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
It's peculiar though how cool inland areas' nights are, even in valleys.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gonzal...fornia#Climate

It's not just a coastal phenomenon, when even those super-hot Seville-like inland areas suddenly turn 'subarctic summer' at night-time...

Must be a combination of cool water temps with long nights... but also funny how mild nights are in Santa Barbara vs Monterey/Santa Cruz...
One thing about Santa Barbara is that it's facing south, which might reduce the effect of the cold Pacific Current.

As for as the inland areas, semi arid and arid climates do tend to have cool nights and hot days.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:24 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times
Its the very cool air rolling in from the Pacific every evening which cools things down.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:57 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
It's the marine layer, most days, it moves in at night all the way to the coast ranges. And will cool temps down to just below the sea water temp.

In fact, I just drove into LA overnight from Phoenix, and was already hitting the marine layer clouds and fog by the time I got to Cabazon towards the west end of San Gorgonio Pass

Old 09-05-2016, 09:27 PM

3,314 posts, read 2,216,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
One thing about Santa Barbara is that it's facing south, which might reduce the effect of the cold Pacific Current.

As for as the inland areas, semi arid and arid climates do tend to have cool nights and hot days.
How about my area?

Climate Santa Maria - California and Weather averages Santa Maria

Old 09-05-2016, 10:00 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
My area gets the same summer lows, but has warmer sea temperatures. A cold summer night can see the air temperature 16-17C colder than the sea temperature.

Probably a different situation to California though, Marine air doesn't flow inland at night here - it flows offshore (landbreeze). A common sight in the morning here, is towering cumulus 20-km out to sea. That's from the warm air rising off the sea, which then draws air from land, combined with a downslope effect.

Also SE airflows producing conditions for rapid raditive cooling, which is when the very coldest summer nights happen.

Warm nights here usually only happen from subtropical lows.

For California, I think the sea breeze causes low maximums, and longer nights give more time to cool off.

Last edited by Joe90; 09-05-2016 at 10:13 PM..

Old 09-05-2016, 10:20 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
My area gets the same summer lows, but has warmer sea temperatures. A cold summer night can see the air temperature 16-17C colder than the sea temperature.

Probably a different situation to California though, Marine air doesn't flow inland at night here - it flows offshore (landbreeze). A common sight in the morning here, is towering cumulus 20-km out to sea. That's from the warm air rising off the sea, which then draws air from land, combined with a downslope effect.

Also SE airflows producing conditions for rapid raditive cooling, which is when the very coldest summer nights happen.

Warm nights here usually only happen from subtropical lows.

For California, I think the sea breeze causes low maximums, and longer nights give more time to cool off.
California sees a predominantely onshore flow due to the deserts and inland valleys heating up more than the coast, that air rises starting the convection cycle, and then cooler marine air is pulled in underneath it. This cycle mainly happens in Spring and Summer, in Fall and Winter, the flow reverses as the deserts cool off faster than the coast, and offshore winds develop causing coastal SoCal's katabatic 'Santa Ana wind'

Marine layer is most prevalent in late spring and early summer, when there is the greatest negative deviation in temps between the coast and the desert

Old 09-05-2016, 10:33 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
California sees a predominantely onshore flow due to the deserts and inland valleys heating up more than the coast, that air rises starting the convection cycle, and then cooler marine air is pulled in underneath it. This cycle mainly happens in Spring and Summer, in Fall and Winter, the flow reverses as the deserts cool off faster than the coast, and offshore winds develop causing coastal SoCal's katabatic 'Santa Ana wind'

Marine layer is most prevalent in late spring and early summer, when there is the greatest negative deviation in temps between the coast and the desert
Yep, the inland heat of Northern California is much different to here or Western Europe.

The sea temperature in all of those places listed is actually colder than I had thought, at only 1-2C warmer than the air temperature, so temperatures are what could be expected.

I'm more interested in places that have a bigger gap between average air minimums and sea temperatures. Comparing my town to Crescent City (same latitude)shows CC with summer air minmums less than 1C colder than the sea temperature, while here has 7.2C. In winter CC has a 6C difference, while here has 11.5C difference -easy to see which is more oceanic moderated, although if average air temperatures are used, here has only 1C difference between air and sea temperature during summer, while CC has 3C in summer.

Last edited by Joe90; 09-05-2016 at 10:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather