Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you prefer Australia or America's climate in general?
Australia 45 31.91%
US 96 68.09%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 01:48 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,953,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost-likin View Post
I Agree with Alex,Australia are quite boring,its climate arent cold enough,maybe only Tasmania are good enough to me,and I dont like most of Australian trees,they are quite ugly,Maybe only N.Gunni are beauty enough.
A climate not cold or snowy enough does NOT mean it's boring. I can't believe that people have this skewed logic and use it shamelessly. Look, I think the climates of NYC and Taipei are deplorable, but they are, begrudgingly, anything but boring. I'll be a stubborn fool if I were to call them or even tropical savannah climates boring. There are people who find monsoonal rain exciting and snow dauntingly boring. Our subjective tastes are not fact. Shocking, isn't it?

You can agree with him for having the same climatic taste as yours (an opinion is an opinion), but your preferred four seasonal climate is just NOT any more or less "boring" than the climate of Cairns or Hong Kong. They all have interesting, anticipating weather patterns. The only difference is that one is colder and is packaged with snow, whilst the other is more on the hot side. Like it or not, the warmer one will not be vastly inferior and "boring" just because it lacks snow, even if it has other "exciting" characteristics. Where's the logic in that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 02:16 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Lol what "much of the country" would that be that is only cold for a small portion of winter? We have three months of meteorologic winter, and within those months the majority averages less than 50F for high temps.
LOL, yes. Alabama, Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, and Texas (states comprising a not so insignificant geographical area of the country) have average winter month temperatures of around 45F or higher. For the states in the 45F-50F range, that's still a pretty mild winter (certainly not winters that I'd call "cold.")

Source: https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...-in-winter.php

Old 09-21-2016, 02:17 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,595,401 times
Australia is better.

Old 09-21-2016, 03:52 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,406,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
We know you have a deep seated jealousy of all the other subtropical climates that grow normal subtropical vegetation while you brag about windmills and pine trees lol.
lmao, really? how do you know that? besides I don't just grow windmills... There are sabals and butias which are more than enough. Admittedly I am a bit jealous of Malta, same latitude as Raleigh yet never a freeze. Pretty insane. I wouldn't want a climate that stable though. Just maybe a 9a which would be enough to satisfy me. But you are wrong for telling people that the us south is some brutal, dead, cold winter ice box. It just isn't.

Old 09-21-2016, 03:57 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,406,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
LOL, yes. Alabama, Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, and Texas (states comprising a not so insignificant geographical area of the country) have average winter month temperatures of around 45F or higher. For the states in the 45F-50F range, that's still a pretty mild winter (certainly not winters that I'd call "cold.")

Source: https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...-in-winter.php
Keep in mind those are mean temperatures, not average highs which are much milder than that.

Old 09-21-2016, 04:57 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,992,461 times
USA, due to its climatic diversity!

Old 09-21-2016, 08:06 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inphosphere View Post
Not at all. I am just wondering what would make summer temps in the SE US hot compared to coastal Australia. Summer temps in the SE are in the low 90s, which isn't all that hot, but coastal Australia, with low 80s temps, is far cooler.
There is a mountain range that separates the Outback deserts from the coastal cities like Sydney.

There is no mountain range to separate the Gulf South from the interior. Hence very hot summers and very cold winters.

In Austin where I live, if the wind is from the Southwest, it is hot and dry. If from the South/Southeast it's hot and humid (but slightly cooler). If from the North it's cooler.

If there was a mountain to the west of here, no hot dry weather and probably no 100 degree weather. But there is...

Last edited by cBach; 09-21-2016 at 08:27 AM..

Old 09-21-2016, 01:14 PM

21 posts, read 26,118 times
Australia anyday.

Old 09-21-2016, 01:50 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,993,405 times
If you like snow, ice and extreme cold (and some people do) then the US is clearly better. If you like more of a mild year round climate, then Australia is better.

It really doesn't snow at all in any Australian city, yet in the US, even Atlanta (Hotlanta!) is good for the occasional ice storm or two.

Summers are fairly similar but winter is where the big difference is.

Old 09-21-2016, 03:46 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,923,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
If you like snow, ice and extreme cold (and some people do) then the US is clearly better. If you like more of a mild year round climate, then Australia is better.
The US can offer both, Australia can't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather