U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-25-2008, 02:06 PM

17,912 posts, read 22,632,969 times

Advertisements

Here in Wyoming, we are way below in our yearly snow fall. We've had mild temps. But I wouldn't say it was any different then other years that we were in a drought.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 06:59 PM

9,108 posts, read 13,474,731 times
It is what it is......it's just a cold winter.

You can't base global warming or cooling on ONE winter. Weather patterns change all the time. Look at the floods of 1993, drought in 1988. You need to look at long term patterns, not just a random cold winter.

I was just in Europe, they've had the warmest winter in years there, people were amazed. It's been much warmer than it should be, and it hasn't snowed once.

The east coast is also having a very warm winter, yet the midwest is colder....

It's.....WEATHER

Old 02-26-2008, 06:09 AM

954 posts, read 1,428,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post

You can't base global warming or cooling on ONE winter. Weather patterns change all the time. Look at the floods of 1993, drought in 1988. You need to look at long term patterns, not just a random cold winter.

I was just in Europe, they've had the warmest winter in years there, people were amazed. It's been much warmer than it should be, and it hasn't snowed once.

It's.....WEATHER
Well said Chicago. Here's a pretty balanced view on the subject. Ignore the title. It is in jest.

Forget global warming: Welcome to the new Ice Age (http://www.nationalpost.com/opinion/columnists/story.html?id=332289 - broken link)

Old 02-26-2008, 10:06 AM

19,460 posts, read 50,742,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post

It's.....WEATHER
Amen! Its the idiots who run around preaching to everyone that we're all in peril and waste umpteen billions of dollars trying to convince us of this, that **** me off.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:15 PM

888 posts, read 2,188,873 times
This morning on the early news they say that the earth is cooling quite quickly not warming like they thought. It dropped a degree I believe at the areas aroung the earth where the testing sites are.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:51 AM

83 posts, read 284,403 times
Here in Austria, Central Europe weather has just gotten more extreme. Winter 2004/05 was very cold with lots of snow way into March and even April, winter 2005/06 was the 2nd coldest winter ever with the longest constant snow cove ever, but witner 2006/07 was the warmest winter ever, with temps in the 70s in January, also this winter has been very warm, except december, just last week we had 72 degrees and the entire month of february not once the temperatur feel below freezing. Usually 35 degrees is the average high, so usually everyday the temperature is below freezing. However our summers have just been consistently hot. Summer 2004 was crap, in 2002 we had severe floods, but 2003 was the hottest summer ever, and 2006 was then even warmer. I think we are facing extreme weather anyways, we had in the last 3 years 9 storms which killed people, just today in Austria 5 people got killed by storm "Emma", and tommorrow it's supposed to get worse.

Old 03-01-2008, 01:41 PM

13,496 posts, read 25,231,190 times
Luke, is it tornadoes that are causing so many problems right now? Sorry to sound dumb, but is Emma a hurricane?

Old 03-01-2008, 03:52 PM

83 posts, read 284,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Luke, is it tornadoes that are causing so many problems right now? Sorry to sound dumb, but is Emma a hurricane?
You don't sound dumb, sorry for my lack of vocabulary, but Emma is not a hurricane, it's what we call "Orkan", just very strong winds. I think over 100 mp/h.Just looked it up on wikipedia, it's called european windstorm in english. There is currently a low over Russia and warm air in Western Europe, and because of the high difference of air pressures strong winds are produce (can you say that?) over central europe. I think it hit also Germany and most probably hungary and slovakia.

Old 03-01-2008, 06:36 PM

888 posts, read 2,188,873 times
It was on the morning news this past week that all the indicators around the world are saying we are cooling at a fast pace now.

Old 03-01-2008, 06:53 PM

13,496 posts, read 25,231,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruikshl View Post
It was on the morning news this past week that all the indicators around the world are saying we are cooling at a fast pace now.
That's not good news at all for those of us who like the warmth. I'm not sure if I'm really convinced of that either though. They've only kept records for a bit over 100 years so it's hard to say how many fluctuations have been going on throughout time. I do remember in the 70s there was a bit of talk about heading back to the ice age, but nothing like the global warming has been blown up to be.

Luke, that is fascinating info. I've never heard of that before and I'm not sure what we have over here that's similar to it. We do have very windy areas of the country though and I happen to live in one of those areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather