Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you rate the climate in Boise?
Terrible 7 38.89%
Perfect 11 61.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 09:53 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,290,459 times

Advertisements

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boise%2C_Idaho#Climate

Looking to get out of Texas eventually, and Boise is on the short list. I'd like to see what you guys think of the climate. I think that it has enough seasonal variation to be interesting, and low enough humidity that I won't hate the summer. I know it is prone to inversions in the winter, which could be a negative.

EDIT: ignore the poll above. I messed up on the options and the form will not let me edit it for whatever reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 12:37 PM

795 posts, read 738,761 times
Too dry. Too sunny. And summers are too hot.

But the city looks very nice.

Old 09-30-2016, 12:45 PM

2,850 posts, read 1,969,179 times
It's closer to perfect than terrible. My biggest complaints are that it's too dry and summer has too much diurnal variation. Winter temperatures look nice.

Old 09-30-2016, 12:49 PM

795 posts, read 738,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srfoskey View Post
It's closer to perfect than terrible. My biggest complaints are that it's too dry and summer has too much diurnal variation. Winter temperatures look nice.
Yeah winter temperatures are great.

Old 09-30-2016, 01:07 PM

160 posts, read 252,044 times
You'll be lucky to get a response to this post listed here in "weather." Better to ask this again in a Boise thread.

I've lived in Southern CA, the Puget Sound/WA state, Wenatchee WA (central WA), Tucson AZ, and have visited TX often enough to factor it in as a weather experience. I moved to Boise in 1991, and of all the places I've experienced weather long enough to form an opinion, as far as I'm concerned the climate here is as good as it gets. Yes, the seasonal variation is wonderful - there are four distinct ones here. When you say "low enough humidity," I'm not sure the humidity could get very much lower than it does here in the summer (the only time it really matters). It must be 180 degrees different from Texas. It truly is a dry heat.

Following is copy/paste of post I made earlier this year about humidity:

=======
In late June, July and August, and early September, it averages 17% humidity in Boise/Treasure Valley.

When it's 90℉ in August in Boise and the humidity is 17% - it feels like 86℉.

When it's 90℉ in August in Miami and the humidity is 70% - it feels like 106℉
=======

I'm assuming you read my response to your earlier inversion question, so I'll only add that worrying about winter inversions is a complete waste of time unless you/your family have respiratory problems. And even if they do, it's a minor issue. It doesn't happen very single year, and it's not always severe. I recall a minor inversion last year lasting about 5 days. And contrary so what someone else posted in your last inquiry about this, inversions don't occur in the summer. Not ever. High pressure dominates the area in the summer (like most places west of the Mississippi) and high pressure is associated with still weather conditions. This pressure can keep pollution and smoke lower in the valleys like anywhere else in the world, but IT IS NOT TRAPPED THERE - it is NOT an inversion, and changes at the whim of a breeze or the jet stream.

Old 09-30-2016, 01:09 PM

160 posts, read 252,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T M H View Post
You'll be lucky to get a response to this post listed here in "weather." Better to ask this again in a Boise thread.
I stand corrected.

Old 09-30-2016, 01:09 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,357,778 times
90 F with 70% humidity here isn't exactly something common. More like 55-60%.

Old 09-30-2016, 03:36 PM

2,197 posts, read 1,493,374 times
Solid B. Temperatures are great, but a higher diurnal range, especially in winter, would be needed. Also slightly higher record highs in winter would be nice. I like the dryness, but I'd prefer more rain son summer with more t-storms and drier winters. Like the late spring peak. Minor issues now but I'd like more snow and a more even sunshine distribution with slightly cloudier summers and much sunnier winters. Overall very good with a few small issues.

Old 09-30-2016, 03:54 PM

927 posts, read 1,946,821 times
If you like warm summer afternoons with low humidity, Boise is the place to go. I don't know where in Texas you're from but I've been there in high summer and except for places like Alpine, at over a mile up, the crushing humidity makes even a 85 to 95 degree afternoon seem like a steam bath. The Rio Grande valley and the Sabine River drainage.... Doesn't. Bear. Thinking.
90's and occasionally 100's are still common in Boise but with dew points in the 40's instead of the 70's it's a lot easier to take.

Old 09-30-2016, 04:03 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,851,777 times
Its basically the same as the Panhandle but drier in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather