Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2017, 05:12 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,923,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junter View Post
Really, just for that? What about this:

Valencian people know how to have breakfast

And what about the city?
Nice city, although that breakfast isn't anything special

Old 03-12-2017, 08:39 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
So much shrimp. I don't even remember what it tastes like. I used to eat it occasionally, and then I began having allergic reactions to it. I had my throat swell up a few weeks back eating out at a place that serves shrimp.
Uh, oh. I got food poisoning once from a shrimp sandwich bought from a crappy roadside diner. But that didn't end my love for shrimp.

Quote:
No Subway in Finland? A bocadillo is a "sub" from Subway. In reality sub is a marketing name and the real name is bocadillo.
They are not in Subways in Finland.

Old 03-12-2017, 09:01 AM

13,484 posts, read 9,027,668 times
I was expecting a bocadillo to be some exotic fancy dish, but it's just a roll lol

Old 03-12-2017, 09:07 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,327,637 times
It looks beautiful! I want to see some parts of Spain, especially since many Spanish people I met in South America were very friendly. I like a country with warm people

Old 03-12-2017, 11:18 AM

3,326 posts, read 2,619,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
I was expecting a bocadillo to be some exotic fancy dish, but it's just a roll lol
A roll is not something like a burrito?

A bocadillo is a sandwich but instead of using 2 slices of bread you use an entire baguette bread

In Netherlands some moroccan restaurants offer it as "bokadio" as well as some italian restaurants (with another name) and a few street food carts. The best in Rotterdam is Trattoria Panini and it's cheap too. Although they use a different fatty flatbread (not a baguette), which is excellent too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
It looks beautiful! I want to see some parts of Spain, especially since many Spanish people I met in South America were very friendly. I like a country with warm people

Old 03-12-2017, 11:36 AM

13,484 posts, read 9,027,668 times
Quote:
A roll is not something like a burrito?

A bocadillo is a sandwich but instead of using 2 slices of bread you use an entire baguette bread
No in the UK a roll is any type of bread other than normal sliced, so could be a round bap or a long torpedo roll or a baguette. You can get them in every cafe, bar, just about anywhere that serves food, filled with whatever you want... Different parts of the UK call them different things too, just to add to the confusion

Last edited by flamingGalah!; 03-12-2017 at 12:08 PM..

Old 03-12-2017, 12:24 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Here breakfast rolls, smörrebröd, and in lesser form croissants are eaten at breakfast. Baguettes, panini and and ciabatti are more of take away snacks. Croque-monsieur type sandwiches are often eaten as evening food.

This is a typical Finnish breakfast roll:

Old 03-13-2017, 06:44 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,562,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Are you still in London? The reputation of the climate here is completely unwarranted, but the last few summers have been terrible for thunderstorms and sun hours. The summers between the 60s to the early 00s were far more thundery than summers since 2007. 2009-2012 were particularly bad for lack of thunderstorms.
Yup yup, still here

Been in London for a year now.

A few observations (bearing in mind that, of course, one year is not fully representative of a climate, obviously...but enough for a general idea):

-It rarely feels too cold. Compared to Paris, for example, I found that there were far less cold (<3-5°C) highs; cold lows are not uncommon but usually happen in very calm conditions that give way to a sunny day. I've felt way colder in windy, drizzly 8°C mornings than the very calm and sunny -1°C mornings.
A typical example would be a -4/5 day with full sun; when Paris would be -4/-1 and overcast. The coldest high in the ~15 months I've been here was only 0.4°C. Not too bad for 51°N.

-Summer generally felt right in terms of warmth. Now if this were Nice, or Sydney, I'd find 14/24 seriously too cool for summer, but wearing a suit 5 days a week (actually 4, thanks casual Fridays) made me change my perspective, as did living in a south-facing brick building with large windows. The 23/31°C day last July (which would be balmy in Nice) felt horrendous, my room felt like an oven at night. On the flipside, there were a few outrageously cool summer days (13°C maxes in early June, wtf, there were lows higher than that the previous December ).

-Summer sunshine felt slightly lacklustre, but generally OK, except for June which was unbelievably cloudy (99 hrs) but this was obviously way below average.

-The UHI is sometimes strikingly noticeable. SO lives in the far suburbs (Zone 6) and when visiting her, especially on clear evenings, I feel a huge difference in temp between the city centre and there.

-It feels surprisingly dry. It doesn't rain that often honestly, and when it does it's generally very weak. I didn't even own an umbrella until I went to Tenerife where a freak shower forced me to buy one. Otherwise, here in London most of the time it's just pathetic drizzle.

-Surprised at the "seasonal lag" in vegetation (but maybe that's because 2016 had a cold spring and warm autumn). Some trees were still completely bare into April, while others in the City were green until as late as late November. Went to Kew Gardens in early October and it was still mostly green everwhere.

-The time zone (and early sunsets) is somehow justified near winter solstice; 8am-4pm is a justifiable alternative to 9am-5pm. However it gets increasingly retarded as you approach March equinox (i.e. now), when it's already bright at 6am but starts getting dark at 6pm. Then it is again alright around April, but becomes downright derpy in summer. 4.43am sunsets with civil twilight starting at 3.50 or so? U WOT M8? What's the ****ing point? whereas sunsets are barely later than Tenerife, more than 20 degrees south.

-Winter cloudiness/darkness is a bitch. No amount of denial can go against that. It's just the way it is.

TL;DR acceptably mild/coolish climate for office job/large city life (esp. summer), rainy reputation unjustified, cloudy reputation entirely justified in winter, retarded time zone.

Old 03-13-2017, 06:59 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,923,863 times
Apparently a lot of introverts like the cold/dark winters. I used to like them a lot more until I started working out, now I like summer more because it gives me an excuse to wear less clothes

Althlugh it must be a nightmare for those who suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder. Personally I'm pretty sick of winter now, but no doubt that by late summer I'll be praying for winter to return, I'm never content

June was a freak show last year. It started with some Mediterranean weather, but then evolved into a weird winterish cloud pattern.

Last edited by Razza94; 03-13-2017 at 07:36 AM..

Old 03-13-2017, 07:10 AM

5,706 posts, read 3,775,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
Yup yup, still here

Been in London for a year now.

A few observations (bearing in mind that, of course, one year is not fully representative of a climate, obviously...but enough for a general idea):

-It rarely feels too cold. Compared to Paris, for example, I found that there were far less cold (<3-5°C) highs; cold lows are not uncommon but usually happen in very calm conditions that give way to a sunny day. I've felt way colder in windy, drizzly 8°C mornings than the very calm and sunny -1°C mornings.
A typical example would be a -4/5 day with full sun; when Paris would be -4/-1 and overcast. The coldest high in the ~15 months I've been here was only 0.4°C. Not too bad for 51°N.

-Summer generally felt right in terms of warmth. Now if this were Nice, or Sydney, I'd find 14/24 seriously too cool for summer, but wearing a suit 5 days a week (actually 4, thanks casual Fridays) made me change my perspective, as did living in a south-facing brick building with large windows. The 23/31°C day last July (which would be balmy in Nice) felt horrendous, my room felt like an oven at night. On the flipside, there were a few outrageously cool summer days (13°C maxes in early June, wtf, there were lows higher than that the previous December ).

-Summer sunshine felt slightly lacklustre, but generally OK, except for June which was unbelievably cloudy (99 hrs) but this was obviously way below average.

-The UHI is sometimes strikingly noticeable. SO lives in the far suburbs (Zone 6) and when visiting her, especially on clear evenings, I feel a huge difference in temp between the city centre and there.

-It feels surprisingly dry. It doesn't rain that often honestly, and when it does it's generally very weak. I didn't even own an umbrella until I went to Tenerife where a freak shower forced me to buy one. Otherwise, here in London most of the time it's just pathetic drizzle.

-Surprised at the "seasonal lag" in vegetation (but maybe that's because 2016 had a cold spring and warm autumn). Some trees were still completely bare into April, while others in the City were green until as late as late November. Went to Kew Gardens in early October and it was still mostly green everwhere.

-The time zone (and early sunsets) is somehow justified near winter solstice; 8am-4pm is a justifiable alternative to 9am-5pm. However it gets increasingly retarded as you approach March equinox (i.e. now), when it's already bright at 6am but starts getting dark at 6pm. Then it is again alright around April, but becomes downright derpy in summer. 4.43am sunsets with civil twilight starting at 3.50 or so? U WOT M8? What's the ****ing point? whereas sunsets are barely later than Tenerife, more than 20 degrees south.

-Winter cloudiness/darkness is a bitch. No amount of denial can go against that. It's just the way it is.

TL;DR acceptably mild/coolish climate for office job/large city life (esp. summer), rainy reputation unjustified, cloudy reputation entirely justified in winter, retarded time zone.
Time to roll this out again
Attached Thumbnails
Your impressions of other City-Data Weather Forum members-screen-shot-2017-03-13-9.10.16  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather