Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 12:21 AM

2,926 posts, read 1,306,596 times

Advertisements

Where I'm currently at is damn near perfect. 7-8 months shorts and t-shirt type weather being mild-warm-hot, 2 months mild and 2 months cold mornings and nights followed by mild afternoons :-) The only thing I would change is making sure lows don't drop below 5 degrees. We also get 2100-2200 hours of sunshine annually, if I was being greedy I'd like 2500 :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 03:32 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,010,474 times
I love office climates.

Old 10-13-2016, 03:34 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,010,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Grew up near the ocean. Live on the coast in Oxnard, CA in a Mediterranean climate, positioned 33 miles south of Santa Barbara and 28 miles North of Malibu. Sunny days for me. I don't mind having light clouds in the sky, specifically in the evening when the sun is going down.

Also grew up with the evening fog rolling in some times of the year and having fog in the morning that burns off maybe around 9 or 10. I love the break that the fog offers.

Other than that give me a temperature in the low to mid 70's year round and I am good
Yeah, I want something like this, but with more rain.

Old 10-13-2016, 03:55 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,950,382 times
Like:
Wet, rainy cool winters
Hot, dry and sunny summers
Mid-high diurnal ranges
Some light-moderate winter snow
Highest temp of the year ~ 41C
Coldest temp of the year ~ -9C
Sun hours between 2,600-3,000
Csa/Dsa on the Koppen classification

Dislike:
Tropical weather
Constant humidity
Constant cloudiness
Extreme cold
Too many thunderstorms
Summer rain
Extreme deviations from the norm

Old 10-13-2016, 03:57 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,950,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Like:

Sunshine
Hailstorms
Dry heat and low dewpoints
Comfortable temperatures all year round with little seasonal differences
Drizzle (surprisingly)
High diurnal range in summer
Low diurnal range in winter
Southerly busters on hot days
Wind
Dust storms
Mild desert climates

Dislike:

Cloudiness or overcast conditions
Humidity and high dewpoints, especially in summer
Snow (at least a lot of it)
Too much rain and persistent thunder
Four seasonal (or continental) climates
Summers too hot and winters too cold
An extreme Mediterranean rainfall pattern (10mm at driest month, 150mm+ wettest month)
Cwa rainfall pattern (wet summers, dry winters)
High diurnal range in winter
Tropical climates

Old 10-13-2016, 04:23 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,188,204 times
I like:
Hot summers
Thunderstorms
Low diurnal range
Annual sunshine 2000 ~ 3000 hrs
Humid heat
Dry winters
Hot summer nights
Sometimes fog for a change
Heavy rain

I don't like:
Excessive cloudiness
Temperatures below 20C
Snow
Drizzle
Wind
Winter and the cruel darkness it brings

Ideal Koppen classification: Cwa, Cfa, Csa, Am, Af (in that order)

Nightmare Koppen classification: Cfb (outside of summer and spring), Cfc, Csb, Dfa, Dfb, Dfc, ...

Old 10-13-2016, 07:51 AM

927 posts, read 1,946,656 times
I live in a cooler Csb climate (Corvallis, OR) with a high percentage of our annual precipitation falling during the winter months. This climate suits but there are a few things I would change if I could....
We have 5 months where average temperatures fall below 50 (10) degrees. I would like at least two but no more than four.
The average temperature for the warmest months of the year, July and August, is just under 67 (19.5) degrees. I would like at least two to hit 70 (21 and a smidge) but, again, no more than 4. Recently I have seen July or August and occasionally both come very close to - or top - that 70 degree magic number. My garden notices this.
We get about 40 to 42 inches of rainfall per year on about 150 days. Since we get very little from the middle of June 'til the end of September, that means we also get a gawd-bloody-awful lot of rainy days the rest of the year. I would like to keep the amount but have it fall on no more than about 80 or 90 days. That means it rains harder when it does rain but it also means there are more sunny and dry stretches during our shoulder seasons where I can put seeds in the ground earlier and not have them rot and have a better chance of harvesting stuff under dryer conditions in the fall.
We don't track sunshine hours where I live and even data on percentage of bright sunshine are hard to come by. My calibrated eye tells me we see about 2100 or so hours, most of that in the summer months. Boost that to somewhere between 2600 and 2800 hours with the bulk of that in winter and spring and I would be a happy man. The short answer then, is Csa or a Csb are my fave's. Anything starting with "A" or "D" or "E" are to be avoided.
I did a quick check of places on the west coast of the U.S. and found that Ukiah in California comes very close but if the folks who postulate a warmer world coming soon if not already here are right, then I won't have to move to Ukiah, it will come to me.

Old 10-13-2016, 07:59 AM

5,601 posts, read 3,501,903 times
I prefer moderately warm summers around 25 C during the day, mean around 20 C.
Relatively low rainfall, no more than 800 mm in a year, don't mind if there's very little.
No days above 35 C.
Subtropical-ish winters (17/10 perhaps).
Significant maritime influence.
2000-3000 hours of sun.

Favourite climate type under köppen? Warm oceanic/mediterranean or a moderate subtropical climate as second choice. Personally I rate my ideal 25/15 and 17/10 climate as maritime subtropical though.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:57 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,731,511 times
For inhabiting long term, I like clouds, rain and a lush, mostly rural environment.

Dislike dry climates, hot weather and excessive sun. Also dislike windy locations.

Prefer temperatures in the 50's to low 80's, but am tolerant of temperatures to about 20 degrees F.

Old 10-13-2016, 09:00 AM

516 posts, read 429,100 times
LIKE:

-Cold and wet winters with frequent arctic blasts.

-Plenty of clear and crisp sunny cold days thrown into winter.

-Mild spring with not too much rain and comfortable temps.

-Hot dry summers with a nice constant breeze.

-Cool Dry fall weather with the occasional wind storm.

DISLIKE:

-Short summers with temps barely reaching 80 degrees and rain 4 out of the 7 days a week....why even call it summer?

-Soggy mild winters with non stop rain and only a few days that get down to freezing...why even call it winter?

-So much rain in the spring that its impossible to go outside and enjoy spring

-No real seasonal weather, just 9 months of rain and 2 months of less rain.

So, in a nutshell, I LIKE anywhere EAST of the cascade range in WA state, and east of the Rockies.....and LOATHE western WA state, where I grew up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather