Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the climate of London more similar to Sydney or New York City's
London's climate is more similar to Sydney's climate 23 52.27%
London's climate is more similar to New York City's climate 21 47.73%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 07:30 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,589,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Heathland is attractive but totally missing from the Eastern US I think. I've heard it exists in the PNW, but I would be hard pressed to find it around here.

Do you have any pics of the areas of England known as moors? I think I would like that. Reminds me of "An American Werewolf in London" (I know I'm dating myself).
Moors are like a wet and cold version of heathland, pretty much the only thing that grows there is heather. They exist at altitude in Devon and Cornwall, and also in northern England.

Typical heathland (Surrey)

Typical moor (Devon)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 07:33 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Moors are like a wet and cold version of heathland. They exist at altitude in Devon and Cornwall, and also in northern England.

Typical moor (Devon)

Is it very green in summer or winter? How bout low level fog hugging the ground in winter or summer? I find it kind of unique and attractive since we don't have anything like that around here.

Old 03-31-2017, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Moors are like a wet and cold version of heathland, pretty much the only thing that grows there is heather. They exist at altitude in Devon and Cornwall, and also in northern England.

Typical moor (Devon)

And don't forget "cold" is relative to what you are used to. Those moors would be quite mild to me in winter I'm sure.

Old 03-31-2017, 07:41 AM
B87

Quote:
Is it very green in summer or winter? How bout low level fog hugging the ground in winter or summer? I find it kind of unique and attractive since we don't have anything like that around here.
Fog, snow and frost are common on moorland in winter. You'd have to ask ben86 or dunno, I think they live close to that kind of environment.

This is what wiki says on heaths and moors.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moorland

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heath

I associate moors with wet, cold, windy conditions. I associate heath with dry and dusty conditions.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Fog, snow and frost are common on moorland in winter. You'd have to ask ben86 or dunno, I think they live close to that kind of environment.

This is what wiki says on heaths and moors.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moorland

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heath

I associate moors with wet, cold, windy conditions. I associate heath with dry and dusty conditions.

It is still very unique to me and I'm interested in seeing it in person.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:07 AM
B87

Quote:
It is still very unique to me and I'm interested in seeing it in person.
I'd choose heath every time; it's warmer and drier, there's a much larger variety of plants and trees, and it's where you're most likely to see the UKs reptile species such as adders, grass snakes, sand lizards, and the very rare slow worm.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:19 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,813,748 times
Quote:
Heathland is attractive but totally missing from the Eastern US I think. I've heard it exists in the PNW, but I would be hard pressed to find it around here.

Do you have any pics of the areas of England known as moors? I think I would like that. Reminds me of "An American Werewolf in London" (I know I'm dating myself).
Here's the North Yorkshire Moors.

Here's some Heathland just 5 miles from here.

It's obviously quite a bit cooler on the Moors, but it's a really lovely place. The Heathland, which is called Strensall Common, is lovely, but I prefer the hills and mountains of the Moors and Dales. Heathland can't come close to the Yorkshire Dales imo. It's a bit flat and boring.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:27 AM
B87

That heathland looks far more Australian than NE US. It actually reminds me of central Qld, if you replace the birches with eucalyptus (at first glance, the wooded area in the distance actually looks like eucalyptus trees lit up by low sun).m

Emerald, Qld.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
Here's the North Yorkshire Moors.

Here's some Heathland just 5 miles from here.

It's obviously quite a bit cooler on the Moors, but it's a really lovely place. The Heathland, which is called Strensall Common, is lovely, but I prefer the hills and mountains of the Moors and Dales. Heathland can't come close to the Yorkshire Dales imo. It's a bit flat and boring.

Thanks for the photos. I'm with you, I think I would like the moors better. More interesting to me topo wise and the look so diff from here.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
That heathland looks far more Australian than NE US. It actually reminds me of central Qld, if you replace the birches with eucalyptus (at first glance, the wooded area in the distance actually looks like eucalyptus trees lit up by low sun).m

Emerald, Qld.

Interesting and yes looks more like Aus than here. But your rainfall is only 20" a year while here it is more than double that which is part of the reason I think.

I don't think anywhere in the NE US looks like Australia. Far too temperate there I think. But England had some areas to my eyes that looked similar to places around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather