Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate the climate: Gap, France
A 4 10.53%
B 10 26.32%
C 14 36.84%
D 8 21.05%
E 1 2.63%
F 1 2.63%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 02:46 PM

2,155 posts, read 1,529,643 times

Advertisements

Gap, France

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gap,_Hautes-Alpes#Climate

So I just found this climate, and I personally haven't really seen anything like it. It's like Colorado, but with milder summers, and plenty of rainfall keeping the surroundings lush instead of arid. It's also similar to Portland, but with lots of snow and an even rainfall distribution. Winters have plenty of snowfall, yet daytime highs aren't too bad at 6-8'C. Temperatures warm up quickly as well in the spring, and in summer the temperatures are warm, but not that hot at 24-28'C average highs, and dew points are kept low due to the altitude and its somewhat inland location. What's even more amazing is that although it's got low dew points and very high sunshine (2940h), it still manages a respectable 868mm of rain and an average of 32 thunderstorms per year.

So, an extremely sunny, snowy and warm though not too hot, kinda rainy and thunderstormy four-season climate. What do you think?

Personally, I'm still not a huge fan of snow, and wouldn't mind 20'C winters, but I really do think that this is the absolute perfect climate if I were to have snow. I rate it B+.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2016, 03:04 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,226,970 times
yeah, I was thinking about some climates of the area that are pretty nice. Right now I wish I was there honestly....

Another one nearby which someone should do: Valence.

Old 11-24-2016, 03:22 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,479,802 times
The problem with those averages is that they're so old... 1951-1970. For the recent 30 year ref period it's more likely to be 28/12 and 7/-2 or something like that. I think it's firmly an oceanic climate these days because of that.

Old 11-24-2016, 04:00 PM

2,197 posts, read 1,484,364 times
C. Too wet, stable, and mild. Also, terrible winter wet season with lots of cold rain. At least it's sunny, has decent temperature averages and gets a decent amount of snow.

Old 11-24-2016, 06:22 PM

2,850 posts, read 1,956,613 times
A-
Winter is a little too warm and summer is a little too cool, especially at night, but it's nice overall.

Old 11-24-2016, 07:05 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,593,664 times
D- winters too cold

Old 11-24-2016, 09:23 PM

11,642 posts, read 12,829,683 times
D+

How is it "four seasonal" when the summers have relatively cold nights? It's like a subpolar oceanic climate with a taste of summer. With that being said, it's not that bad. The sunshine hours are nice, although I find them rather dubious. Summers are amazing, despite the cool nights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelernation71 View Post
C. Too wet, stable, and mild. Also, terrible winter wet season with lots of cold rain. At least it's sunny, has decent temperature averages and gets a decent amount of snow.
How is 868.3mm too wet? Most months barely manage to get rain over 90mm. And their winters don't even seem to be that wet (autumns are wetter).

Of course, it depends on how many rainy days they have in the winter (which aren't stated in the article).

Old 11-24-2016, 09:42 PM

2,197 posts, read 1,484,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
D+

How is it "four seasonal" when the summers have relatively cold nights? It's like a subpolar oceanic climate with a taste of summer. With that being said, it's not that bad. The sunshine hours are nice, although I find them rather dubious. Summers are amazing, despite the cool nights.

How is 868.3mm too wet? Most months barely manage to get rain over 90mm. And their winters don't even seem to be that wet (autumns are wetter).

Of course, it depends on how many rainy days they have in the winter (which aren't stated in the article).
868 mm is about what Rochester gets and Rochester is pretty wet. It may not be rainforesty, but it still is a lot of rain. Also 90mm is a lot. Probably on about 10 rainy days which is also too much rain. It also leads to a humid, forested environment which I don't want and rains will be pretty frequent.

Old 11-25-2016, 12:11 AM

11,642 posts, read 12,829,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelernation71 View Post
868 mm is about what Rochester gets and Rochester is pretty wet. It may not be rainforesty, but it still is a lot of rain. Also 90mm is a lot. Probably on about 10 rainy days which is also too much rain. It also leads to a humid, forested environment which I don't want and rains will be pretty frequent.
Don't forget that the evaporation rate plays a big role in how an environment looks like. The Sydney region gets around 800-1200mm, which is "wet", but because of the strong sun and the high evaporation rate our woodlands don't look that lush and green (that's why they call them "dry sclerophyll forests").

90mm with rain days over 15 (in a month) is a lot, but 90mm with only 10 days of rain is rather mild (at least to me). Again, it depends on the rain days and how warm a climate is. Rochester is cool, so its 800mm of annual rain would "feel" wetter than other warmer cities having that amount of rain.

Old 11-25-2016, 01:07 AM

2,155 posts, read 1,529,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
D+

Nights are cool yes, but daytime high averages of 28'C definitely isn't lackluster by any means. Also, I suspect it probably gets plenty of days above 30'C and night time is for sleeping anyway. And how could you possibly compare it to a subpolar oceanic climate? Its annual average high is 17'C for god's sake, and as Lommaren said, that was a long time ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather