Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Sydneys climate more similar to Dubai's or Dublin's
Dubai 2 7.69%
Dublin 24 92.31%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-02-2016, 05:08 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,339,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeefan93 View Post
Despite the fact that Sydney can get very hot it isn't consistent at all and summers are a lot closer to Dublin for Observatory Hill. The winter is closer to Dubai though but the small average temperature range of Sydney's Observatory Hill makes it more similar to Dublin. Plus Sydney and Dublin get a fair amount of rain while the rain that falls in Dubai is scant at best.
Sydney (Ob Hill) does not get very hot except for the extremely rare occasion and, thankfully, records much more rain than Dublin.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 02:06 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,485,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
You forgot the record lows, btw. Sydney CBD, like Dubai, hasn't recorded any freezes. Furthermore, whether Dubai is tropical or subtropical, that is debatable. I'll say that it's a subtropical climate, because it is NOT perpetually hot like Mecca (now that's a tropical climate).
Dubai has a 24/14 January. That's tropical under any definition

Old 12-02-2016, 04:19 PM

2,197 posts, read 1,486,505 times
Quote:
Sydney has a lot of warm days, even in early spring and late autumn. Most of the summer feels like a summer. Dublin barely gets reliable heat in the summer.
Sydney still gets plenty of 20C days like Dublin does in summer. It's still generally warmer but the average high of 27C is much more comparable to 20C than to Dubai's 41C.

Quote:
Furthermore, whether Dubai is tropical or subtropical, that is debatable. I'll say that it's a subtropical climate, because it is NOT perpetually hot like Mecca (now that's a tropical climate).
Definitely tropical. Averages 19C in its coldest month and has never recorded a freeze. Just because it's not perpetually hot, it doesn't make it not tropical. It just means year round warmth with little to no cold which Dubai fits. Anyway, this is for another thread and is an already debated topic

Quote:
Dublin is on the cool side, just the same way Dubai is on the hot side. Calling Dubai "mild" is merely subjective. But then again, you can stand by that opinion. I'd say Dubai is cool, sometimes cold, to mild all year round. Sydney is mild to warm all year round. Dublin is not a mild climate (at least to me). Dublin is a bona fide oceanic climate. Sydney is purely subtropical.
Wasn't disagreeing about Dubai being oceanic. In fact I completely agreed with it. I meant mild as in a low seasonal range and a lack of extremes rather than "mild" temperatures. Whether Sydney is subtropical or not is debatable. However, with the low seasonal akd diurnal range, the warm, not hot, summers, the mild frostless winters, the temperatures definitely moderated due to its coastal location, and relatively mild temps year round, I would say it's just a very warm oceanic climate or at least a subtropical climate with heavy oceanic influence. Dublin also has heavy oceanic influence. Dubai has none.

Quote:
Still, they are a factor. You can't rule the sun out just because you think it's unimportant. 2600 hours is reasonably sunny and it can give you a lot of good sunny days. 1400 hours isn't and you're gonna get more cloudy days. So of course, we have more in common with Dubai when it comes to sunshine, irregardless of how sunnier it is than us.
Fair enough.

Old 12-02-2016, 07:05 PM

11,645 posts, read 12,856,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelernation71 View Post
Sydney still gets plenty of 20C days like Dublin does in summer. It's still generally warmer but the average high of 27C is much more comparable to 20C than to Dubai's 41C
By 20C do you mean temps in the 20's or that we get a lot of 20C days (which is absolutely not the case in our summers)? Our summers mostly average in the high 20s. We rarely get summer days with a high of 20C. Albeit, when we get seabreezes in a hot summer day the temp does go down from 35C+ to 20C in the late afternoon - If that counts.

Quote:
Definitely tropical. Averages 19C in its coldest month and has never recorded a freeze. Just because it's not perpetually hot, it doesn't make it not tropical. It just means year round warmth with little to no cold which Dubai fits. Anyway, this is for another thread and is an already debated topic
Perhaps it is more tropical. I guess I shouldn't have compared it to Mecca or other tropical cities that have highs above 28C in the "winter".

Quote:
Wasn't disagreeing about Dubai being oceanic. In fact I completely agreed with it. I meant mild as in a low seasonal range and a lack of extremes rather than "mild" temperatures. Whether Sydney is subtropical or not is debatable. However, with the low seasonal akd diurnal range, the warm, not hot, summers, the mild frostless winters, the temperatures definitely moderated due to its coastal location, and relatively mild temps year round, I would say it's just a very warm oceanic climate or at least a subtropical climate with heavy oceanic influence. Dublin also has heavy oceanic influence. Dubai has none.
I guess this stands to opinion. What you described up there is perfect example of a mild subtropical climate, at least to me. Oceanic climates should have a sense of coolness (some frost or little snow, and very mild summers). About Dublin, I meant that it isn't just an oceanic influenced climate, it's a bona fide oceanic climate, whereas Sydney is subtropical with some oceanic influence (I should've been specific on this).

A question: To you, is Sydney more like Paris or other European Cfb's, than like Brisbane or Atlanta?

Old 12-02-2016, 07:27 PM

633 posts, read 658,202 times
wow you guys are mean

anyway i choose Dubai for arguments sake

i mean sure its obviously Dublin, i'm not a moron, but there are reasons to consider Dubai

Dubai has very hot summers, Sydney is capable of very hot weather similar to an average summer day in Dubai (but only occasionally does so). on the other hand Dublin has chilly winters (and somewhat chilly springs and autumns), Sydney is capable of chilly weather similar to an average autumn/spring day in Dublin (but only occasionally does so).

once you incorporate average precip and humidity it becomes a no brainer. but if you ignore the comparisons to precip and humidity and just look at temperature profile, its actually more of a fair fight. again, Dublin wins, but i sort of see where the OP was coming from on this.

Last edited by Sir Goosenseresworthie; 12-02-2016 at 07:36 PM..

Old 12-02-2016, 08:10 PM

2,197 posts, read 1,486,505 times
Quote:
By 20C do you mean temps in the 20's or that we get a lot of 20C days (which is absolutely not the case in our summers)? Our summers mostly average in the high 20s. We rarely get summer days with a high of 20C. Albeit, when we get seabreezes in a hot summer day the temp does go down from 35C+ to 20C in the late afternoon - If that counts.
At observatory hill, according to BOM the mean lowest max is 19.8, 21.0 and 21.3 in the 3 summer months. I guess I was off a bit but this shows there are still plenty of days in the low 20s. The mean maximums are 35.2, 34.9 and 34.3. While much hotter than anything Dublin gets, it generally falls well short of Dubai's summer heat.

Quote:
I guess this stands to opinion. What you described up there is perfect example of a mild subtropical climate, at least to me. Oceanic climates should have a sense of coolness (some frost or little snow, and very mild summers). About Dublin, I meant that it isn't just an oceanic influenced climate, it's a bona fide oceanic climate, whereas Sydney is subtropical with some oceanic influence (I should've been specific on this).
Makes sense. Still, they both have some oceanic influence rather than Dubai which has none.

Quote:
A question: To you, is Sydney more like Paris or other European Cfb's, than like Brisbane or Atlanta?
Interesting. I think Sydney would definitely be more similar to Brisbane. Atlanta would be closer, but if still say Sydney is more similar to it. Both wet, subtropical/borderline subtropical, similar precipitation, similar annual temps.

I appreciate you choosing Dubai, it provides some interesting debate that is often lacking on this forum.

Old 12-02-2016, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelernation71 View Post
At observatory hill, according to BOM the mean lowest max is 19.8, 21.0 and 21.3 in the 3 summer months. I guess I was off a bit but this shows there are still plenty of days in the low 20s. The mean maximums are 35.2, 34.9 and 34.3. While much hotter than anything Dublin gets, it generally falls well short of Dubai's summer heat.

Makes sense. Still, they both have some oceanic influence rather than Dubai which has none.

Interesting. I think Sydney would definitely be more similar to Brisbane. Atlanta would be closer, but if still say Sydney is more similar to it. Both wet, subtropical/borderline subtropical, similar precipitation, similar annual temps.

I appreciate you choosing Dubai, it provides some interesting debate that is often lacking on this forum.
And I appreciate that we had this very good and astute debate. I do understand and acknowledge your side of the argument, btw.

Old 12-03-2016, 08:25 AM
BMI

7,455 posts, read 7,225,400 times
Sydney is a warmer version of Dublin

Old 12-03-2016, 11:08 AM

3,212 posts, read 3,158,776 times
I thought the results would be a lot closer considering that Sydney gets reliable heat (moreso inland but even the coast gets its fair share) during the summer and is generally thought of as a warm climate while Dublin is thought of a chilly climate.

I wonder if I substituted L.A for Sydney if the results would be flipped. (L.A's seasonal temperature averages are rather similar to Sydney's but the precipitation pattern is more similar to Dubai's).

Last edited by ABrandNewWorld; 12-03-2016 at 11:28 AM..

Old 02-04-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
I thought the results would be a lot closer considering that Sydney gets reliable heat (moreso inland but even the coast gets its fair share) during the summer and is generally thought of as a warm climate while Dublin is thought of a chilly climate.

I wonder if I substituted L.A for Sydney if the results would be flipped. (L.A's seasonal temperature averages are rather similar to Sydney's but the precipitation pattern is more similar to Dubai's).
And the past few summers (especially this "angry" one) were a strong reminder that Sydney was more like Dubai than Dublin.

Yeah, the results were very surprising. Can't comprehend how lopsided they are. But then again, there are only two people in here who actually live in Sydney. So the others haven't really experienced our weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather