Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Sydneys climate more similar to Dubai's or Dublin's
Dubai 2 7.69%
Dublin 24 92.31%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 06:48 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,172,756 times

Advertisements

Is the climate of Sydney more similar to the climate of Dubai or Dublin?

Here are all three climates:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dubai#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublin#Climate

A) More similar to Dubai

B) More similar to Dublin

(optionally, also rank all three climates from your most to least favorite)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 07:15 PM

2,197 posts, read 1,493,219 times
Obviously Dublin. Both wet and oceanic.

Noke of the above would be a good answer though. They're also all on separate continents all over the world. Would be better to compare similar climates and not have an obvious answer. Pretty irrelevant, easy answer and overall a waste of time and space.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:47 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,356,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelernation71 View Post

Noke of the above would be a good answer though. They're also all on separate continents all over the world. Would be better to compare similar climates and not have an obvious answer. Pretty irrelevant, easy answer and overall a waste of time and space.

Yep, the only thing that's kind of "middle ground" when it comes to this is annual mean temp (about 65 F in Sydney, 50 F in Dublin and 82 F in Dubai) but besides that it's quite clearly more similar to Dublin. Just another pointless and waste of time and space thread by ABNW.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:54 PM

11,650 posts, read 12,939,609 times
Dubai because, like that city, Sydney is subtropical and it has seen highs over 40C. Dublin hasn't. Not to mention, Sydney's sunshine hours (2600) are "closer" to Dubai's (3500) than Dublin's (1400).

Surprised at the poll results.

Quote:
You really can't rule out heat, dewpoints and sunshine hours.

That's like saying Singapore is more like Bilbao than like Cairo just because Bilbao happens to be wet (like Singapore).

Old 12-01-2016, 08:28 PM

2,197 posts, read 1,493,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Dubai because, like that city, Sydney is subtropical and it has seen highs over 40C. Dublin hasn't. Not to mention, Sydney's sunshine hours (2600) are "closer" to Dubai's (3500) than Dublin's (1400).

Surprised at the poll results.

You really can't rule out heat, dewpoints and sunshine hours.

That's like saying Singapore is more like Bilbao than like Cairo just because Bilbao happens to be wet (like Singapore).
Dubai is a hot desert climate that is tropical with extreme heat consistently throughout the summer months. It gets very high sunshine hours and little rain. Outside of record highs, Sydney has nothing related to it at all.

Dublin is an oceanic climate with mild weather and lots of rain just like Sydney. Both are in the "C" category, there're not tropical, sydneus summer highs aren't much warmer than dubai's winter highs. Both Dublin and Sydney have obvious oceanic influence, Dubai has none. Both aren't deserts and get plenty of rain, Dubai does not.

Sunshine hours are far less important to making a climate similar to another than the other factors and while they may be closer to Dubai they are still much cloudier.

Outside of record highs, I don't see how Sydney has anything to do with Dubai.

It's like saying London is more similar to Phoenix than Reykjavik because both London and Phoenix get hot in summer and they're both in the C category.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:24 PM

11,650 posts, read 12,939,609 times
Quote:
Dubai is a hot desert climate that is tropical with extreme heat consistently throughout the summer months. It gets very high sunshine hours and little rain. Outside of record highs, Sydney has nothing related to it at all.
Sydney has a lot of warm days, even in early spring and late autumn. Most of the summer feels like a summer. Dublin barely gets reliable heat in the summer. On top of that, Sydney's winters are very mild. They're more akin to Dubai's winters than Dublin's, despite being cooler. You can wear a sleeveless shirt in our winters, whereas you cannot in Dublin.

You forgot the record lows, btw. Sydney CBD, like Dubai, hasn't recorded any freezes. Furthermore, whether Dubai is tropical or subtropical, that is debatable. I'll say that it's a subtropical climate, because it is NOT perpetually hot like Mecca (now that's a tropical climate).

Quote:
Dublin is an oceanic climate with mild weather and lots of rain just like Sydney. Both are in the "C" category, there're not tropical, sydneus summer highs aren't much warmer than dubai's winter highs. Both Dublin and Sydney have obvious oceanic influence, Dubai has none. Both aren't deserts and get plenty of rain, Dubai does not.
Dublin is on the cool side, just the same way Dubai is on the hot side. Calling Dubai "mild" is merely subjective. But then again, you can stand by that opinion. I'd say Dubai is cool, sometimes cold, to mild all year round. Sydney is mild to warm all year round. Dublin is not a mild climate (at least to me). Dublin is a bona fide oceanic climate. Sydney is purely subtropical.

"C" category doesn't mean much. One person made it to classify and distinguish climates. Now is it a bad system? No. But it's not perfect. I mean, according to Koppen, Wollongong is more like London than it is like Sydney.

Quote:
Sunshine hours are far less important to making a climate similar to another than the other factors and while they may be closer to Dubai they are still much cloudier.
Still, they are a factor. You can't rule the sun out just because you think it's unimportant. 2600 hours is reasonably sunny and it can give you a lot of good sunny days. 1400 hours isn't and you're gonna get more cloudy days. So of course, we have more in common with Dubai when it comes to sunshine, irregardless of how sunnier it is than us. Sydney, whilst not that sunny for Australia's standards, is still known for its decent sunshine and warmth. Dubai is known for that too, although it's an "extreme" case with its abundant sunshine hours, dryness and scorching heat. Doesn't make Sydney colder and more like Dublin, which is not known for its sunshine and heat.

Quote:
Outside of record highs, I don't see how Sydney has anything to do with Dubai.
Like Dubai, Sydney has has reliable heat in the warm season, strong sun (UV rays above 11+), sees dewpoints above 18C, has no subfreezing lows (CBD only), no record of snow, ample sunshine hours and no highs below 12C in the winter.

Like Dublin, we are wet and have a lot of rainy days, we don't see a lot of highs above 30C (although they still habitually occur, especially in the western suburbs) and maybe our summers can have a bit of coolness due to seabreezes, but that isn't saying much since the nights are still muggy and make for the "failed" day. And what else? I can't really go on. Btw, our evaporation rate is high, so our environment would always appear drier than Dublin's.

Quote:
It's like saying London is more similar to Phoenix than Reykjavik because both London and Phoenix get hot in summer and they're both in the C category.
Both Sydney and Dubai can get highs over 40C (albeit much more frequent in Dubai's case). Unlike Phoenix, London has never reached 40C. Phoenix is consistently hot in the summer with temps over 40C and its winters are rather mild, averaging over 18C. London has a mild, pleasant summer that barely gets highs over 30C and winters around 8C. So that's a false equivalence.

P.S. Of course, Sydney's climate is nothing like Dubai's. The OP made the comparison. But I just wouldn't see a climate like Sydney's to be more reminiscent of Dublin's than Dubai's. And I will fervently argue against that. Oh, and btw, I'm not even a heat lover (nor a cold lover). Heck, I'd prefer Melbourne's or London's summers over our ones. So I am not making arguments on my personal bias, considering that I despise heat and humidity.

Last edited by Ethereal; 12-01-2016 at 09:35 PM..

Old 12-02-2016, 04:13 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,403,585 times
Dubai has an average High of 75 in January how the hell is not tropical. It's not even debatable. Dubai is tropical. Meets the requirements for it.

Old 12-02-2016, 04:18 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,348,788 times
Dublin in my case. No way can Sydney be comparable to Dubai.

Old 12-02-2016, 04:32 AM

1,916 posts, read 1,457,964 times
Despite the fact that Sydney can get very hot it isn't consistent at all and summers are a lot closer to Dublin for Observatory Hill. The winter is closer to Dubai though but the small average temperature range of Sydney's Observatory Hill makes it more similar to Dublin. Plus Sydney and Dublin get a fair amount of rain while the rain that falls in Dubai is scant at best.

Old 12-02-2016, 04:50 AM

5,601 posts, read 3,501,903 times
Dubai?

Just wow.

That's like posting a thread:

Is Singapore tropical or not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather