Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which climate do you prefer ?
Chicago 30 36.59%
Marseille 52 63.41%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 12:01 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,699,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
You can certainly survive there but I prefer to walk around in lighter clothing and not shovel snow and scrape ice. Where I'm at right now, it's not even 7AM and already 75F out on CHRISTMAS DAY. I will be taking a Christmas swim in the 77F ocean in a couple of hours which IMO is much sexier than a white Christmas.
I couldnt agree more. The Christmas you are having this year is better than a Chicago or Marseille one any day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2016, 12:35 PM

3,326 posts, read 2,618,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
You are joking right? Marseilles is only like 3 degrees cooler in winter than barcelona.
No, I'm not. Why would I joke? For you 3-4ºC is a small difference buddy? In Barcelona many types of palm trees nor subtropical/tropical trees/plants can live, species which wouldn't in Marseille.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marseille#Climate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barcelona#Climate

December in Marseille: 12.6/6.0ºC Barcelona: 15.1/9.5ºC
January in Marseille: 11.8/4.9ºC Barcelona: 14.8/8.8ºC
February in Marseille: 12.9/5.3ºC Barcelona: 15.6/9.3ºC
March in Marseille: 15.5/6.9ºC Barcelona: 17.4/10.9ºC

As you can see, Barcelona is warmer in January than Marseille in all of the 4 winter months. Just high averages from March are 0.7ºC higher than the high averages from Barcelona in January.
But in mean terms... even March has colder temps than January in Barcelona. Ferbruary in Barcelona is quite colder than March in Marseille.

April has a mean avg of 13.4ºC in Marseille (17.9/8.9), March 14.2ºC in Barcelona (17.4/10.9). See the difference?

The avg annual maximums in Marseille are 19.7ºC (67,5F), the minimums 11.2ºC (52,2F) and the yearly average is 15.5ºC (59,9F).

The avg annual maximums in Barcelona are 21.2ºC (70,2F), the minimums 15.1ºC (59,2F) and the yearly average is 18.2ºC (64,8F).

In Barcelona a tropical palm tree like a Roystonea Regia can live in it's limits. In Marseille not even a winter. Howeas grow enourmous on Barcelona for it's mild winters and the humid and hot winters.
In Marseille they won't survive a couple of winters... Add plants, trees or fruit cultivars. It's a big difference between them, the minimums are 4ºC higher than in Marseille. 4ºC is a lot of difference buddy!

As I said before, for me Marseille has a OK winter. But it's not a palm tree paradise. I just choose it for it's liveable winters... not because I'm amused about palm trees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
You can certainly survive there but I prefer to walk around in lighter clothing and not shovel snow and scrape ice. Where I'm at right now, it's not even 7AM and already 75F out on CHRISTMAS DAY. I will be taking a Christmas swim in the 77F ocean in a couple of hours which IMO is much sexier than a white Christmas.
Agreed! Where I live now, we hit a maximum of 19ºC (66,2F) today. It was above 18ºC (64,4F) for something more than 4 hours and it was a sunny day. I was with some simple jeans and a t-shirt on me, enjoying the sun with a beer on a terrace. Why it would be funnier to wear 1 long shirt, 1 sweat, 1 coat, a scarf, some heavy socks and some wool trousers? What is the fun of that?

I recognise that it's nostalgic to have a white, cold and beautiful Christmas Day surrounded by snow and fir trees. But if it's -5ºC or less outside (23F) without a trace of snow... what's the fun?

Old 12-25-2016, 12:43 PM

2,155 posts, read 1,540,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
I personally think it's a toss-up between Cádiz and Almería for the best winters in continental Europe, what do you think? Somewhere like Porto and Monaco?
I'd take the warmest and sunniest. Somewhere along Costa del sol or Almería. Although I don't like desert environments I like deserts' sunshine and lack of rain. I think Almería might win judging solely on January.

Old 12-25-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
I personally think it's a toss-up between Cádiz and Almería for the best winters in continental Europe, what do you think? Somewhere like Porto and Monaco?
+1, totally agreed with you. Well, I would add also Málaga and Alicante to that equation! (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%A1laga#Climate and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alicante#Climate)

Alicante or Altea have very, very nice winters. I can go in the mid-day with long sleeves or a t-shirt and shorts from 12:00 to 16:00 in 90-95% of "winter" days. It's like being in May back home in Rotterdam...

Last edited by ase42dv; 12-25-2016 at 01:09 PM..

Old 12-25-2016, 12:54 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,504,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junter View Post
+1, totally agreed with you. Well, I would add also Málaga and Alicante to that equation! (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%A1laga#Climate and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alicante#Climate)

Alicante or Altea have very, very nice winters. I can go in the mid-day with long sleeves or a t-shirt and shorts from 12:00 to 16:00 in 90% of "winter" days. It's like being in May back home in Rotterdam...
Where the reps at?

My issue with Alicante for January only is the lower daylight than on 36N though I think it's feels even better with later sunsets! Coming from someone who lives inside eight degrees of the polar circle every minute is important!

Old 12-25-2016, 01:01 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,451,533 times
Quote:
What do you think of the perennial window of -5C to +5C highs in winter here in quasi-SE Sweden as opposed to the more violent Chicago swings?
It would be annoying to not get above 5C in the winter. Of course, when you factor in summer as well I think Chicago is worth it.

Old 12-25-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Where the reps at?

My issue with Alicante for January only is the lower daylight than on 36N though I think it's feels even better with later sunsets! Coming from someone who lives inside eight degrees of the polar circle every minute is important!
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to lommaren again.

Well, the difference between 38 and 36ºN it must be of just 10-15 minutes or something like that!

The good part of Alicante, as it's situated on the west, it has longer afternoons and shorter mornings. The sun sets later, and it raises a bit later too. This is also a point for me!

If you look for example in Valletta, Malta, which is at 35º50'N (https://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/malta/valletta) the sun rises 1 hour before than in Alicante. But in Alicante the sun sets 1 hour after!

Old 12-25-2016, 01:23 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,406,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junter View Post
No, I'm not. Why would I joke? For you 3-4ºC is a small difference buddy? In Barcelona many types of palm trees nor subtropical/tropical trees/plants can live, species which wouldn't in Marseille.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marseille#Climate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barcelona#Climate

December in Marseille: 12.6/6.0ºC Barcelona: 15.1/9.5ºC
January in Marseille: 11.8/4.9ºC Barcelona: 14.8/8.8ºC
February in Marseille: 12.9/5.3ºC Barcelona: 15.6/9.3ºC
March in Marseille: 15.5/6.9ºC Barcelona: 17.4/10.9ºC

As you can see, Barcelona is warmer in January than Marseille in all of the 4 winter months. Just high averages from March are 0.7ºC higher than the high averages from Barcelona in January.
But in mean terms... even March has colder temps than January in Barcelona. Ferbruary in Barcelona is quite colder than March in Marseille.

April has a mean avg of 13.4ºC in Marseille (17.9/8.9), March 14.2ºC in Barcelona (17.4/10.9). See the difference?

The avg annual maximums in Marseille are 19.7ºC (67,5F), the minimums 11.2ºC (52,2F) and the yearly average is 15.5ºC (59,9F).

The avg annual maximums in Barcelona are 21.2ºC (70,2F), the minimums 15.1ºC (59,2F) and the yearly average is 18.2ºC (64,8F).

In Barcelona a tropical palm tree like a Roystonea Regia can live in it's limits. In Marseille not even a winter. Howeas grow enourmous on Barcelona for it's mild winters and the humid and hot winters.
In Marseille they won't survive a couple of winters... Add plants, trees or fruit cultivars. It's a big difference between them, the minimums are 4ºC higher than in Marseille. 4ºC is a lot of difference buddy!

As I said before, for me Marseille has a OK winter. But it's not a palm tree paradise. I just choose it for it's liveable winters... not because I'm amused about palm trees.

Agreed! Where I live now, we hit a maximum of 19ºC (66,2F) today. It was above 18ºC (64,4F) for something more than 4 hours and it was a sunny day. I was with some simple jeans and a t-shirt on me, enjoying the sun with a beer on a terrace. Why it would be funnier to wear 1 long shirt, 1 sweat, 1 coat, a scarf, some heavy socks and some wool trousers? What is the fun of that?

I recognise that it's nostalgic to have a white, cold and beautiful Christmas Day surrounded by snow and fir trees. But if it's -5ºC or less outside (23F) without a trace of snow... what's the fun?
Just this morning I checked Barcelona on Wikipedia and there were 2 weather boxes, one that showed you having an average high of 56 in January then the one that shows 58. You deleted the one with the average of 56. Why are you trying so hard to pass off Barcelona as warmer than it is. Again, Marseilles has an average high only 3 degrees FAHRENHEIT cooler than Barcelona, hardly a make or break difference. Didn't flamingalah call you out on this too?????

Old 12-25-2016, 01:30 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,406,132 times
Here is actual Barcelona weather data. Average jan high of 13.6c not 14.8.... Even more interesting the data in Wikipedia is no where to be found on the official Spain meteorological site where the data is cited to be from...

Standard climate Values: Barcelona Aeropuerto - Agencia Estatal de Meteorología - AEMET. Gobierno de España

Last edited by muslim12; 12-25-2016 at 01:46 PM..

Old 12-25-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Just this morning I checked Barcelona on Wikipedia and there were 2 weather boxes, one that showed you having an average high of 56 in January then the one that shows 58. You deleted the one with the average of 56. Why are you trying so hard to pass off Barcelona as warmer than it is. Again, Marseilles has an average high only 3 degrees FAHRENHEIT cooler than Barcelona, hardly a make or break difference. Didn't flamingalah call you out on this too?????
I'm trying to what?? why you compare a city with the means of an airport? I'm just talking about the official data which can be checked by anyone. The the data for the city of Barcelona, as my eyes see, is from Can Bruixa - City hall of Barcelona. Where did you read AEMET? It says clearly city hall. Barcelona city has an avg maximum of 58.6 in January, Marseille has 53.2. That's 3 degrees? Now let's look at the minimums, which are almost the double in Celsius (4.9-8.8C)... 40.8 and 47.8F. I see 7 degrees, not 3.

Again, 3-4ºC celsius, not fahrenheit. Those temperatures are from the airport of Barcelona, not from the city. So they equal to 0. You're confusing yourself. I didn't delete nothing on Barcelona.

I don't care what other has said about me. If I say something about you, it means that it's true? Same here. I don't know no one from this forum on the real life, so it's the same. I see that they have been removed by someone called "subtropical-man". I'm not that guy bro.

The city is influenced by the Foehn phenomenon as it's at the outskirts of a mountain range. The airport suffers thermal inversion, the reverse. Plus the city also is something influenced by the UHI. As Marseille.

Quote:
Here is actual Barcelona weather data. Average jan high of 13.6c not 14.8.... Even more interesting the data in Wikipedia is no where to be found on the official Spain meteorological site where the data is cited to be from...

Standard climate Values: Barcelona Aeropuerto - Agencia Estatal de Meteorología - AEMET. Gobierno de España
Bro.. bro... that's THE AIRPORT of Barcelona. Please look at this: http://w1.bcn.cat/temps/docs/Can_Bruixa%201987-2010.pdf This is the only official climate chart from Barcelona. The only one. Is named Can Bruixa and it's owned by the local government of Barcelona. It's period is 1987-2010, while the one from Marseille is 1981-2010, just a period smaller with 6 years. But that's all, it's from the city!

Marseille also has a climate chart for it's own airport: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marseille#Climate again is quite colder than the airport from Barcelona. Not just 3F as you say.

If you want to see all the climate charts from Barcelona, do you have here all of them: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climat...Barcelona_area that's why maybe that Wikipedia user deleted it today, because Barcelona has a climate page for itself. But as you can see, it's named "Barcelona area". This means the whole area, as the airport or nearby's hill of Montjuic. Not just the city.

If you want to make a fair comparation compare the official climate chart from the city (Can Bruixa) to the one from Marseille. I uploaded the climate charts here for you:

The one that you posted has nothing to do with the city of Barcelona. And pls, if you want to keep talking about Barcelona create another thread. This has nothing to do. I just said that if you want palm trees go to Barcelona or Monaco instead, with quite warmer winters than Marseille. That's why I choosed Marseille instead of Chicago, not for the palms! Please don't continue this senseless discussion.

This thread has nothing to do with Barcelona. I just made a "innocent" comment about Barcelona and Monaco for the palm trees, I really don't want to keep discussing this with you, you're a nice guy.

Last edited by ase42dv; 12-25-2016 at 03:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather