Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 02:52 PM

3,326 posts, read 2,619,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I'm sure avocados wouldn't have any problems growing in Nice - the winters are colder in my climate iwith July at 1.3C/12.9C and August at 2.2C/13.8C, and avocados grow well here, with trees having hundreds of fruit at times.

I suspect the reason France has few plantings of citrus and other subtropicals, is that even though they grow and fruit there, they're still ata disadvantage compared to other parts of Europe. Agreed that mangos and papaya aren't going to fruit there,although I think the trees should be able to grow.
Oh yes, I was talking about the fruit.

Still they grow many other fruits which are cheaper like the apple or the pear. But I don't think that they can grow citrics more than on a few spots (for fruiting, not the tree). Regards!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2016, 03:09 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Avocado trees can grow here but they very rarely fruit.
Yep, a very tough tree, but they don't like cold weather during pollination. My tree here had thousands of flowers, but has only about 15 fruit this year. Most years haven't been much better. Clear still days and cold nights (2C/4C) see a low set rate. The best pollination/fruit set was during a period of of mostly cloudy damp weather a few years ago.

Old 12-26-2016, 10:02 AM

13,485 posts, read 9,027,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
There are no other grapefruit trees anywhere near 50N on earth. It's impressive that they even grow there, considering that particular plant was grown from seed there about 50 years ago.
There is an old Grapefruit growing in a back garden in Portsmouth that fruits, it was on the local news a few years back, it was grown from a seed that the elderly owner planted about 30 years before...

Other citrus fruits grow in Portsmouth too, I had a lemon in my back garden & this lady has a fruiting orange tree in her garden, which again made the local news a couple of years ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junter View Post
... Anyways, warmest spots on Malta should be also able to grow it (as our maltese mate said on the 1st page).
Mangos & Papayas grow all over Malta, I have seen them inland as well as at the coast. Neither are grown commercially, just in private gardens...

Old 12-26-2016, 06:02 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,407,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
There is an old Grapefruit growing in a back garden in Portsmouth that fruits, it was on the local news a few years back, it was grown from a seed that the elderly owner planted about 30 years before...

Other citrus fruits grow in Portsmouth too, I had a lemon in my back garden & this lady has a fruiting orange tree in her garden, which again made the local news a couple of years ago...

Mangos & Papayas grow all over Malta, I have seen them inland as well as at the coast. Neither are grown commercially, just in private gardens...
Very cool, in Palestine both papayas and mangoes grow. Mangoes more so though. As for the citrus there is a guy in Winston Salem NC which is a couple degrees colder than here that has a fruiting citrumelo. I also read about a guy here in NC who is trying his hands with an olive orchard. Nice to see some less hardy fruits grown in the area or tried with.

Old 12-26-2016, 08:26 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
I wonder if the hardiest cultivars of lemons could grow in microclimates in this area that are hardiness zone 9A (Victoria, Downtown Vancouver, Tofino)

Old 12-26-2016, 10:29 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I wonder if the hardiest cultivars of lemons could grow in microclimates in this area that are hardiness zone 9A (Victoria, Downtown Vancouver, Tofino)
Yep, judging by the UK, a sheltered yard and up against a wall would probably be enough in Victoria.

Old 12-27-2016, 05:36 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,732,125 times
Fruiting citrus are all over the place on the French Riviera in private gardens. They're not commercially grown though apart from the a small area around Menton.

Old 12-28-2016, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Very cool, in Palestine both papayas and mangoes grow. Mangoes more so though. As for the citrus there is a guy in Winston Salem NC which is a couple degrees colder than here that has a fruiting citrumelo. I also read about a guy here in NC who is trying his hands with an olive orchard. Nice to see some less hardy fruits grown in the area or tried with.
Where in Palestine?

Jerusalem, Bethlehem and Ramallah seem too cold in winters for mangos and papayas, but the Gaza Strip have a good climate for them. Near the Dead Sea also they can be grow in the southern zones as I see on the charts the winters are quite warm.

The city of Gaza is slightly warmer than Almeria, although is normal as it's at 31N latitude.

Old 12-28-2016, 11:00 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,407,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junter View Post
Where in Palestine?

Jerusalem, Bethlehem and Ramallah seem too cold in winters for mangos and papayas, but the Gaza Strip have a good climate for them. Near the Dead Sea also they can be grow in the southern zones as I see on the charts the winters are quite warm.

The city of Gaza is slightly warmer than Almeria, although is normal as it's at 31N latitude.
They grow inland, maybe not papayas inland but mangoes do. The climate there is zone 11 on coast and 10 inland. All the coast and low land is really warm. Places like Tiberias, Nazareth, haifa,etc. The averages on wiki for Bethlehem are wrong, it's a few degrees warmer than that. I checked official data from the Palestinian meteo and it averaged 15c in January but the time period was too short so I didn't put that data in.

Old 12-28-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
They grow inland, maybe not papayas inland but mangoes do. The climate there is zone 11 on coast and 10 inland. All the coast and low land is really warm. Places like Tiberias, Nazareth, haifa,etc. The averages on wiki for Bethlehem are wrong, it's a few degrees warmer than that. I checked official data from the Palestinian meteo and it averaged 15c in January but the time period was too short so I didn't put that data in.
I thought that we were talking about the Palestine of West Bank & Gaza Strip.

Yes near the Dead Sea the winters are mild and the summers are hot asf. Maybe too hot for mangos near the Dead Sea? In the places you mentioned mangos should be OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather