Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 08:45 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,964 times

Advertisements

I think Mediterranean climates are the best of both worlds, with dry warm summers and then cool winters. I love them. My rule of thumb for an "A" climate is the 15/30 rule, where the average winter highs have to be as close to 15c as possible, and the summer highs have to be as close to 30c as possible. Most Mediterranean climates are just that

Only downside is the precipitation and sunshine patterns. The best sort of climate I think are those that have Mediterranean temperatures but an East Coast rainfall and sunshine pattern, like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buenos_Aires#Climate https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney#Climate https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montevideo#Climate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 08:57 AM

5,271 posts, read 4,676,644 times
I have a 5/15 rule

Old 01-24-2017, 09:23 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Mediterranean climates are boring for weather nerds who crave constant change, temperature extremes, and precipitation. For the average person to live in, they're magnificent. Give me the maximum number of sunny, dry days with temps in the 70s, NO snow in the winter (except in the mountains), and NO hot, sticky summer nights, please.

The most ignorant thing the OP said is "The natural landscape is barren and rocky with plants that look like weeds growing everywhere instead of trees." Here's a photo of natural vegetation taken within walking distance of my house in Orange County, CA.
Attached Thumbnails
Mediteranean climates are overrated-live-oaks.jpg  

Old 01-24-2017, 09:42 AM

997 posts, read 936,291 times
I live in California in a Mediterranean climate and there is a great variety of plants and trees that are not irrigated by humans.

I like it. What I like is for every day to be a nice day. Sometimes it rains but that is to be expected. When it does rain, it warms things up usually.

I think it is perfect weather but that's just me. We aren't all the same with the same taste.

Old 01-24-2017, 09:50 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
I have a 5/15 rule
Daaamn, even Ireland would be too warm for you

Old 01-24-2017, 12:13 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,331,019 times
well, "Mediterranean" climate areas like California (to be more precise the "California floristic province" which includes parts of s.w. Oregon and n.w. Baja California), Chile, South Africa and parts of southern Australia have in fact very diverse native floras of not only tough but beautiful plants like the south African heathers and proteas, the Australian banksias and grevillias, or the various plants from California (everything from poppies to redwoods). the "original" Mediterranean area is likely the source of most of our traditional medicinal and culinary herbs ("parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme" for example) so despite how brown and barren it may look in some places at some time) plants seem to be o.k. with it.

as for people some may love it for some reasons and some may not for some reasons---there is no OBJECTIVE standard for a "perfect climate" and in point of fact many folks regard parts of Hawaii and Florida (among other nice places) as perfect and they are in fact not "Mediterranean" at all.

from a gardeners point of view the variant of the "Mediterranean" climate that i live in here is very nice (not perfect) for me---because i can indeed grow a bunch of plants from all over the world (Australian eucalyptus, California redwoods, evergreen oaks and long-leaf pines from Mexico) pretty well with minimum care despite (or maybe because of) our WET winters and DRY summers especially those really cool but ALSO very "picky" plants like certain "tree rhododendrons" from the Himalayas that can't have it too cold OR too hot. OTOH, the same perfect climate for plants like them is very imperfect for stuff like corn or tomatoes, or watermelons which often need very special coddling and care to satisfy their need for consistently warm to hot summers which many coastal areas really don't get enough of.

the fact that i rarely need a heavy jacket outside in winter is great, the fact that I may need a long-sleeve shirt in summer not always so much, LOL. i accept the drawbacks because the benefits are good enough for me to be generally (but not always) o.k. with the ambient climate---and i assume for practical purposes that's how most people regard their real as opposed to an ideal climate to live in.

just my poor thoughts on the subject.

Old 01-24-2017, 12:25 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,589,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
I have a 5/15 rule
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiree#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_Isle#Climate

Old 01-24-2017, 02:09 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,764,363 times
Tropics. Maui. Daytime temps are 75-82 year around. Ocean temp is 78-79 year around. Trade winds keep the humidity in a comfortable range.

Old 01-24-2017, 04:26 PM

7,503 posts, read 6,285,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelernation71 View Post
I can see why people would like them, but personally I dont like them. No snow in winter, just days of cold rain. We may get 1-2 in a winter month, those places get 8-12 at least. No variability or anything of interest. Then summers are close to rainless with no storms and stable conditions and often hot nights. Boring, unpleasant winters and meh summers. They would beat any tropical or oceanic climates or other very rainy climates.
barren and rocky ? We're not talking about desert climates here. No Storms ? you mean
like this ? or
that ?

No snow ? Not very common but
it can happen

Old 01-24-2017, 04:51 PM

13,479 posts, read 9,020,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Tropics. Maui. Daytime temps are 75-82 year around. Ocean temp is 78-79 year around. Trade winds keep the humidity in a comfortable range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather