Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 05:17 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,234,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelernation71 View Post
I never said barren and rocky. As for no storms, the West coast averages fewer than 5 thunderstorms a year, so many years will have none. The Mediterranean probably gets more, but a significant amount of Mediterranean climates get hardly any. And most places with these climates average no snow in year or maybe 1-2 days. Sure, snows can happen, but it is rare in most places with med climates.
The U.S. west coast looks like a whole different beast despite being labelled as "mediterranean". Seriously the mediterranean zones have no shortage of violent events, but like I said before heavy rain / storms happen more during transitional periods like september / october. Although I remember an intense storm and a flashflood in Montpellier, France, in August 2015 which caused several deaths.

If people in the US prefer seeing their summer vacations ruined by constant thunderstorms that's their problem. For snow, sure, it's not very common or extremely rare depending on where you are. Cold rain ? Well yes, winters can see rain, but it's not like a winter in the Shetlands. There are many sunny days in winter actually, at least compared to where I live.

People from the mediterranean zone in France usually complain about the overcast rainless days in the more northern, non-mediterranean zones in the country. They associate overcast skies with imminent rain. I see the mediterranean zones as pretty lively climates, with interesting flora and nature smells.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 05:38 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,433,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Med climates might grow a good range of plants, but they pale in comparison compared to Oceanic climates at comparable latitudes. I doubt there is a Med climate that can grow as many species as my climates, simply due to my area getting more precipitation.

Dry tolerant species handle wet conditions better than moisture loving species handle dry conditions.
I doubt it is that easy For example, in wet conditions "moisture loving species" often grow faster than the dry tolerant ones, and so they tend to win. At least this is what I observe in here.

Here in Italy we have Mediterranean flora along the coasts, but in the inland areas the broad-leaves forest predominates (in particular on the Apennines and at the base of the Alpine range). So we can compare quite different vegetation pattern from locations which are really close one to each other.
First of all, I would say that broadleaves forest has more trees, tall trees in particular, but I'm not sure at all that it has a larger number of plant species overall.

This is what I see in here, probably forests in New Zealand are different from ours under many aspects.

Old 01-25-2017, 05:52 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,544,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Med climates might grow a good range of plants, but they pale in comparison compared to Oceanic climates at comparable latitudes. I doubt there is a Med climate that can grow as many species as my climate, simply due to my area getting more precipitation.

Dry tolerant species handle wet conditions better than moisture loving species handle dry conditions.

A good deal of the plants that grow here are native to the Mediterranean. There are also a lot of plants native to the Balkans, China, and the eastern US.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:07 AM

808 posts, read 702,647 times
I'm okay with Med climates, but I don't see the hype either. My favorites would be the ones with warmer winters and a slightly more even distribution of precipitation; it's just a bit weird to me to average 200 mm of rainfall one month and none in another, regardless of the time of year (though I have experienced one-year anomalies even more extreme than that: where I live we saw 13 inches of rain in July 2010 alone but next to nothing in March just four months prior).

What surprises me is that there are some dry Med climates like Athens that are close to the semi-arid border but still have iffy summer dew points. You'd kind of expect that low rainfall means low humidity and vice versa, but that's not always the case.

My ideal climate, however, remains unchanged: a sunny, warm tropical climate with highs in the 80s year round, pretty consistent 3.5-4" of rain each month, constant trade winds to avoid excessive perception of heat/humidity, and average relative humidity of about 40%

Old 01-25-2017, 10:24 AM

1,978 posts, read 4,390,942 times
You will never be able to touch this with your Mediterranean climates

Old 01-25-2017, 10:25 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,314,517 times
^ No one really cares.

Old 01-25-2017, 10:40 AM

3,326 posts, read 2,600,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptoid Humidian View Post

How about the hurricanes and stuff? We won't also touch them with Mediterranean climates...

Last edited by ase42dv; 01-25-2017 at 11:20 AM..

Old 01-25-2017, 10:53 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,234,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptoid Humidian View Post

and that's a good thing

Old 01-25-2017, 10:58 AM

24,144 posts, read 24,671,124 times

You will never see these in cool climates. And that's a good thing.

Frost is good. Frost is beneficial. Frost kill all the hideous things.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:30 AM

5,271 posts, read 4,648,592 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Daaamn, even Ireland would be too warm for you
Not at all, I love Ireland's climate Even a 8/20 rule is good as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiree#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_Isle#Climate
I prefer Lerwick, it has more people living in it I don't like places with less than 1,000 inhabitants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Tropics. Maui. Daytime temps are 75-82 year around. Ocean temp is 78-79 year around. Trade winds keep the humidity in a comfortable range.
I've looked the data for Kahului. I understand why people like that: beach and surf everyday. It's exciting to them, okay. I don't like it because it's too hot and sunny, I like having average highs below 10 °C (50 °F) in winter, because it feels good to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
I prefer a 20/33 rule, med climates sound great to live in but terrible for a weather enthusiast unless sunshine and cold rain make you enthusiastic.
Like Pomona, California
Daytona Beach, Florida
Haikou, China
Taipei, Taiwan
Ishigaki, Japan
Resistencia, Argentina
Keetmanshoop, Namibia
Geraldton, Australia
Roma, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
I will never be able to understand why people like rain/snow/cold. Why change perfection.
It's like saying: "I will never be able to understand why people like apples/bananas/tomatoes. Why change perfection (oranges)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post
My rule is 33/10

I still like the mediterranean rainfall pattern though.
Medford, Oregon
Raleigh, North Carolina
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Decatur, Alabama
Tupelo, Mississippi (the box matches 33/10 perfectly!)
Little Rock, Arkansas
Amarillo, Texas (extremely good match)
Shkodër, Albania
Quzhou, China

The Southern Hemisphere doesn't have them, but the closest things are probably Choele Choel, Argentina and Wagga Wagga, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Frost is good. Frost is beneficial. Frost kill all the hideous things.
True
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather