U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-01-2006, 11:48 PM

1,317 posts, read 3,433,904 times

Advertisements

Holy cow! Up here in NE PA we had a TORNADO WARNING for like 20 minutes tonight..

Having been too close to a few of those monstrosities on a few unfortunate occasions while living in TX and NM..I can say that tonight was the most terrified I have been so far. We were huddled in the basement with the two little ones because they said on TV that the path was coming right to the south of our house and when I ran upstairs to try to listen to the wind (kids were screaming) my ears popped! Then I got back downstairs and the lights started going on and off like a horror movie - then complete silence..which was the part that terrified me the most because everytime I have been within a mile of one of those devils it has been completely quiet then all hell breaks loose. But thankfully we came out of it OK, shaken up a bit though.

God it was awful. Isn't this supposed to be Dec 1st???? We hit 70 degrees today!

So did you get snow where you live or a did you get the nasty stormy stuff??
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2006, 11:51 PM

19,646 posts, read 51,198,428 times
Same here, no tornado warnings though, its far past season. We hit 65 degrees on Wednesday, and today got 8" of snow. Its a balmy 15 degrees outside right now. But hey, I love it. I yearn for this kind of weather, its so refreshing.

Old 12-01-2006, 11:57 PM

26,551 posts, read 47,213,684 times
Winnie, I was working outside at Lowe's during that mess; the tornado touched down in Mountain Top, about seven miles south of our store! In Mountain Top, a half-dozen people were injured when the tornado blew in the windows at the Mr. Z's Supermarket! At Lowe's, I watched in awe as the daytime sky turned to black, and the lightning became so vivid that people were just stopping and staring at it; I've quite honestly never seen anything like it before! Then the torrential rains came, and the wind gusts of around 60miles per hour did some minor damage to the store! I honestly saw some of the rain bands literally "swirling" around as they neared the pavement, and the framing of the sliding entry doors to our store blew open, sending water rushing inside! The lights flickered inside, yet we didn't lose power. I was quite honestly soaked from head to toe and awe-inspired by the fury of nature this evening; believe it or not I actually had customers who wanted assistance outside loading their purchases as a tornado loomed several miles away (not visible from the store)! Apparently, the contractors in NEPA are idiots who can't wait for a TORNADO to blow over before asking me to load up their trucks! LOL! This weather was WILD!!! 71 degrees this morning shattered the former all-time high for the entire month of December, which was previously 64! Now, snow showers are in the forecast; what an odd weather system!

Old 12-02-2006, 02:33 PM

1,317 posts, read 3,433,904 times
We got the same system you did SWB..I just ventured out on rte 6 and it was closed right before milford. Large trees down and a few on the power lines..

Right before the storm hit we had heard on the news that some people got hurt up your way glad that seems to be the only bad news out of this weather.

I can't believe people would want to get into their cars when weather like that is close. We once made the STUPID mistake of running in our car with not 1 but 2 tornadoes coming towards us in NM. One was a F-2!

We were lucky that day and learned a good lesson!

Old 12-02-2006, 02:53 PM

1,408 posts, read 3,572,207 times
Oh, I feel so bad for all you guys (ok, if you were here, I'd say y'all!). We saw a lot of the reports on the news and weather channel and the Orlando Sentinel reported today that there have been several deaths because of that storm system. Hope all of you & your families make it safely through and have a wonderful Christmas!

Old 12-02-2006, 03:30 PM

5,933 posts, read 14,941,926 times
The weather is so weird! But it's been so warm the past few days, I can't complain.

Old 12-02-2006, 03:45 PM

20,049 posts, read 21,026,858 times
We finally got some cool weather in Houston!!! I Love it!! I just wish it would stay cold for a while.

Old 12-02-2006, 03:46 PM

2,813 posts, read 9,432,915 times
Well, it was 73F in Springfield, Missouri on Wednesday afternoon and I sat on my deck and absorbed the sun. By evening the cold front had come through and it was 42F. Then we had terrific thunderstorms with torrential rain. We got 3" of rain overnight, so much rain that my front acreage flooded into ponds for the first time since we had flooding rains in May. Then the temps dropped and dropped and fell into the 20's by Thursday morning. Those new ponds froze over and freezing rain started around 7am and that went on until about 9am.
Then we got sleet...not just a little sleet, but buckets of sleet from about 9am through 11pm, so much sleet that it covered the ground, piled into drifts, etc. on top of the ice from the freezing rain. Snow didn't start until about midnight and so it covered the ice. It's deceptive looking. I tried to shovel the snow in front of my garage where there's a wall of "snow/ice" when I lift the door. See the photo below:
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r199/MoMark/Dec1snowGarageDepth.jpg (broken link)
I can't shovel it with a snow shovel..it's as hard as concrete and there must be about two inches of solid ice under the softer snow. I have to wait for a thaw. I think this sucks personally. Yeah, makes great pictures...but even the snowplows can't cut through the ice. And the trees are still encased in solid ice, it hasn't melted. I like real snow...about two inches max, but not a layer of thick ice under it. That makes it miserable and I'm afraid to drive anywhere.
As for tornadoes...I know...I spent time in March of this year in an inner closet wrapped in a sleeping bag with a pillow around my head because a tornado was headed straight for my area. The wind was terrible, pounding sheets of rain, lightning blitzing everywhere, and I thought my a$$ was gra$$. That is scary. I agree.

Old 12-02-2006, 03:51 PM

421 posts, read 36,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
Holy cow! Up here in NE PA we had a TORNADO WARNING for like 20 minutes tonight..

Having been too close to a few of those monstrosities on a few unfortunate occasions while living in TX and NM..I can say that tonight was the most terrified I have been so far. We were huddled in the basement with the two little ones because they said on TV that the path was coming right to the south of our house and when I ran upstairs to try to listen to the wind (kids were screaming) my ears popped! Then I got back downstairs and the lights started going on and off like a horror movie - then complete silence..which was the part that terrified me the most because everytime I have been within a mile of one of those devils it has been completely quiet then all hell breaks loose. But thankfully we came out of it OK, shaken up a bit though.

God it was awful. Isn't this supposed to be Dec 1st???? We hit 70 degrees today!

So did you get snow where you live or a did you get the nasty stormy stuff??

OMG that's scary. I'm glad you have a basement. Isn't that suppose to be a safe place? I'm scared to death of stuff like that.

Old 12-02-2006, 03:53 PM

421 posts, read 36,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Winnie, I was working outside at Lowe's during that mess; the tornado touched down in Mountain Top, about seven miles south of our store! In Mountain Top, a half-dozen people were injured when the tornado blew in the windows at the Mr. Z's Supermarket! At Lowe's, I watched in awe as the daytime sky turned to black, and the lightning became so vivid that people were just stopping and staring at it; I've quite honestly never seen anything like it before! Then the torrential rains came, and the wind gusts of around 60miles per hour did some minor damage to the store! I honestly saw some of the rain bands literally "swirling" around as they neared the pavement, and the framing of the sliding entry doors to our store blew open, sending water rushing inside! The lights flickered inside, yet we didn't lose power. I was quite honestly soaked from head to toe and awe-inspired by the fury of nature this evening; believe it or not I actually had customers who wanted assistance outside loading their purchases as a tornado loomed several miles away (not visible from the store)! Apparently, the contractors in NEPA are idiots who can't wait for a TORNADO to blow over before asking me to load up their trucks! LOL! This weather was WILD!!! 71 degrees this morning shattered the former all-time high for the entire month of December, which was previously 64! Now, snow showers are in the forecast; what an odd weather system!

What the heck is the matter with people? They expect help to the car while a tornado lurking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather