Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 01:48 PM

1 posts, read 11,706 times

Advertisements

I would like to know what are the typical first and last snowfall dates in Iowa and the average number of day it snows as well as total amount of snow in Iowa. I would really appreciate your reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 09:36 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,534,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
Exactly

I wish! Winters here are aaaaaagonisingly long and gloomy.
hey at least you don't have to deal with short days in Melbourne.

Looking at weather.com's forecast for the next five days, it's sunny every day and 62 for a high every day and about 42 for a low every day. That's what you call winter?

For Portland (closest area with records to me), March 28th 2008 is officially the latest snowfall of a trace or more but it snowed on April 19th 2008 too at my house.

October 31st 1955 is earliest for Portland.

Last edited by Candle; 06-14-2009 at 09:53 PM..

Old 06-15-2009, 12:01 AM

7,305 posts, read 28,107,243 times
I dont see any official data, but I remember several times when we dont get any snow in December and have to wait until January... I have seen snow flakes in the air here in April, but its rare and its a wet snow and melts as soon as it hits the ground. I have NEVER seen a snow here in May, but my grandmother told me that back in the 50s she saw some snow flakes where she used to live back then.... 50 miles north of here.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:47 AM

26,375 posts, read 46,246,933 times
I believe it is September for the earliest flake and May for the latest.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:15 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,873,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post
hey at least you don't have to deal with short days in Melbourne.
sun sets at 5.10pm during the depth of winter. That's annoying.

Quote:
Looking at weather.com's forecast for the next five days, it's sunny every day and 62 for a high every day and about 42 for a low every day. That's what you call winter?
Yes.

Except days are more like 58-60 in the latest forecast, and some 50F lows are forecast...better than the 40F crap we've been suffering over the last week or two. However, it is certainly NOT SUNNY, andt the forecast has NO SUN in it at all. We've been averaging 1.9 hours of sun per day so far this June. There is no sun to speak of Melbourne is not sunny during the winter, and it is VERY, VERY RARE to see even ONE DAY in the forecast labelled as sunny. The last week has seen highs of 52-55F with cloud and rain The windchill here is terrible. The last few days, my afternoon dog walks have been terribly uncomfortable even in a thick woolen jumper

Old 06-15-2009, 06:01 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,677,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
I dont see any official data, but I remember several times when we dont get any snow in December and have to wait until January... I have seen snow flakes in the air here in April, but its rare and its a wet snow and melts as soon as it hits the ground. I have NEVER seen a snow here in May, but my grandmother told me that back in the 50s she saw some snow flakes where she used to live back then.... 50 miles north of here.
I live in middle TN and the latest snowfall I can remember in my lifetime (that actually accumulated) was sometime in April back in the '80s I think. I have no idea what the earliest snowfall would be, but I can't recall ever seeing snow before November. Here in Murfreesboro we very, very rarely get any accumulation at all. Sometimes 1 or 2 inches per winter, if even that. Most of the time when it snows, it melts as soon as it touches the ground because it ALWAYS snows after it's been 55+ for a few days. When it's actually cold enough to snow, it's almost always incredibly bright and sunny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
Except days are more like 58-60 in the latest forecast, and some 50F lows are forecast...better than the 40F crap we've been suffering over the last week or two. However, it is certainly NOT SUNNY, andt the forecast has NO SUN in it at all. We've been averaging 1.9 hours of sun per day so far this June. There is no sun to speak of Melbourne is not sunny during the winter, and it is VERY, VERY RARE to see even ONE DAY in the forecast labelled as sunny. The last week has seen highs of 52-55F with cloud and rain The windchill here is terrible. The last few days, my afternoon dog walks have been terribly uncomfortable even in a thick woolen jumper
You need to move here. Our winters are probably slightly colder than yours, but most days are sunny. And half the time in the winter it's in the 50s or 60s. And then there's summer *shudder* Today it was 85 but the humidity was so high that being outside felt like sitting in a hot shower with your clothes on. And August is considerably worse, but if you like 100+ degrees with humidity, you'd like it.

I just had a brilliant idea. Our summer is your winter, you hate winter but like summer, and I hate summer but like winter. You and I could switch homes twice a year so that neither of us would ever have to experience the seasons we dislike.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:41 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,927,032 times
^^

Winter in Murfreesboro, TN "slightly" colder than Melbourne? I don't think so. Murfreesboro averages mid-40s for highs in January and 20s for lows. Melbourne is close to 60 for a high in July and lows in the 40s.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsheth View Post
I would like to know what are the typical first and last snowfall dates in Iowa and the average number of day it snows as well as total amount of snow in Iowa. I would really appreciate your reply.
Iowa....well it depends. In 2006 an Albert Clipper affected most of the Midwest and snow fell on October 12th in across most of Iowa. But in 2007 there first snow didn't come until November 21st. So I'd have to say that in northern sections of IA the first snows on average would be around Early November and in southern IA around mid-November. And last snows usually late March or Early April I would guess.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:29 PM

17,997 posts, read 9,008,604 times
Plainfield,Indiana 2 inches on October 9th, 1995

Plainfield,Indiana 2 inches on April 26th, 2006

Old 06-19-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
Here:

earliest: October, 31, 1993

latest: April, 3, 1987
Actually....don't know if I updated....but the lastest snowfall ever in Atlanta was actually on April 25, 1910.....can't believe it's snowed that late that far south!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather