Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2017, 01:37 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,979,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba_Wethu View Post
Man, we almost never get lightning, and never outside of June-August.

Waking up this morning, the April sun (well, more like a December-March sun for most of you guys) really makes the snow bright!

Snow's mostly melted around where my school is though.

At the school, I went out to bask in the sun in some balmy 8'C, and saw this centipede getting attacked by ants!

I even saw a butterfly!

As I head back home though, the water's starting to freeze at around 5'C. Not exactly what you want when there's still snow around in April...
Seriously? It's the 7th April.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2017, 01:44 PM

2,155 posts, read 1,541,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
Well, I do happen to live in the snowiest part of town right now. Had I lived more inland, there would be a lot less pictures and rants about snow these last couple of weeks. Which is odd since the snow generally clears first closer to the sea. I guess there might have been a lot of ocean effect snow by the end of the winter meaning places closer to the sea had more snow to melt? I don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellanmjolk View Post
nice pics. wished i lived in umeå.
I'd happily switch places... Umeå seriously is an amazing city, but its geographical location sucks.

Old 04-07-2017, 01:50 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,979,118 times
But to have snow at the second week in April, even with sunshine? The sun reached a peak of 43 degrees here today and we have had sunshine all day, it's been great.. I couldn't think of the thought of having full snowcover at this stage.

I am firmly in spring mode!

Old 04-07-2017, 01:51 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
We had snow a week ago; angle was higher than 43. Lots of Vermont still has snow, though may have changed

Old 04-07-2017, 02:35 PM

83,516 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Ski trip this past Wednesday to today at Killington, VT. Fantastic powder conditions after the big storm. Was like a winter wonderland.

It really was like a marshmallow world lol. Snow in winter in rural areas is beautiful!

Surprised to see this. Glad you got to enjoy the rural type snow. Wish you post more from inside the city more since many don't get a chance to see Philly in snow. That would of been nice but you usually stop posting in Winter and return in Spring. Also, only 15 inches of snow in Philly this season wasn't much opportunity for nice snowy photos I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
tried to take this dirt road instead but it led into a swamp

house sign says from circa 1750; hard to guess the age otherwise

sunset
Nice dirt road. That swamp probably wasn't swampy last fall. Recent rains made it more swampy?
Nice sunset color highlighting the hill tops there.
There you go again finding those old homes. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba_Wethu View Post
As I head back home though, the water's starting to freeze at around 5'C. Not exactly what you want when there's still snow around in April...

Anyone want to comment on this? lol. 5C (41F) doesn't freeze water. So was the air temp 5C but the ground freezing? Maybe the snow was making that spot 0C? I am willing to bet 100% that was frozen already and just thinning out looking like its freezing. What was the low temp this morning?

Old 04-07-2017, 02:37 PM

83,516 posts, read 75,294,816 times
April 7, 2017. It's about time I can drive around and see rivers flowing and high up. Been a while.

I haven't seen that side brook full and flowing off the river in a long time.

Old 04-07-2017, 03:28 PM

2,155 posts, read 1,541,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Anyone want to comment on this? lol. 5C (41F) doesn't freeze water. So was the air temp 5C but the ground freezing? Maybe the snow was making that spot 0C? I am willing to bet 100% that was frozen already and just thinning out looking like its freezing. What was the low temp this morning?
That's the thing, the last few weeks, on sunny warm days, the water has consistently started to freeze in the evening when the temperature still has been a couple of degrees above freezing.
Here's the last 24h. The picture of the freezing water was taken at 17:16, and at that point it was about 7'C at the university station

Umeå airport had about 6'C at that point.

Thing is, the relative humidity was only 25%, and so what my theory is (apart from the air being colder closer to the ground), is that as the water evaporates in the dry air it cools down, and because the air is so dry, the wet bulb temperature gets below freezing which means the water will keep evaporating and cooling down until it freezes, even though the surrounding air is above freezing.

Old 04-08-2017, 01:35 AM

341 posts, read 341,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter2 View Post
Ok, so as we had like almost a week of highs around 20 degrees Celsius in ŁÃ³dź, evrything exploded. Even plum trees are flowering. Of course, leafing is not yet advanced, but maples, horse chestnuts, willows, birches and many other early big trees are getting green.

Entering my apartment, pretty green already:

2 days later (means yesterday). Drizzly and cold weather now, but it seems things are moving forward anyway.

Old 04-08-2017, 02:37 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post

And you have been yapping about how north you are since you joined this forum, and saying that your weather comes from Greenland. Now when someone is at 64N, you act all surprised. You clown.

Old 04-08-2017, 06:24 AM

341 posts, read 341,347 times
Things might look even better in Poznań, than in ŁÃ³dź:

https://twitter.com/?lang=pl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather