Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2017, 09:15 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,865,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
May 3, 2017

So at 8am Skies were like this. Cloudy inland and clear to the left over the Ocean.

Temp: 58°F (14C)

11am: Sun was able to peak through here and there between the clouds. Beautiful day!

65°F (18C)
Wind gusts 20mph from the West

5pm. BLUE Dome.

Temp 62°F (17C)
Dewpoint 32°F (0C)
Winds Gusting 25mph from NW

And that sets the stage tonight... 30s for me!

Isn't canola rapeseed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Given the nice weather lately I went over to Government House last evening. They have some nice gardens there and I thought they would be freshly planted but unfortunately nothing's in the ground yet.

The building itself was built in 1913. It's quite nice.

As you can see though the gardens were completely empty.

Just a few perennials pushing up.

The only flowers were these potted ones by the main entrance.

Even the grass itself was still rather brown.

There was however a lawn on the west side of the complex that was fully green and springlike complete with dandelions.

There are also some nice views of the river valley from up there.

Overall rather disappointing, other parts of the city are further ahead. However, with the forecast for 30°C for Friday we should start to see green all over the place.

Good photos Ed. I like the govt building it has a very stately look to it.

Maybe that grass is watered regularly vs other grass areas. Are you guys in a sort of drought? If you have dandelions the grass shouldn't be brown I would think unless dry conditions maybe.

Old 05-04-2017, 03:06 AM

24,144 posts, read 24,690,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba_Wethu View Post
Btw, Ariete, surely your Tuomi must be leafed out by now? At least the first few?
How about you Jakobsli? How are your bird cherries doing?

Some small leaves. We are way behind schedule.

Lol, soon the bird cherries will lose their leaves and look like those in Rozenn's photos.

Old 05-04-2017, 11:30 AM

8,161 posts, read 8,700,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobsli View Post
Thanks, seems Pinus sylvestris makes up 29% of that forest if I got that right. Very impressive range for Scots pine, from central France to the mountains in Norway even making up the treeline in some continental valleys, and also growing north of the Arctic Circle up to 70 N like in Alta https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alta,_Norway
You'll find them on sandy soils here, and there are many around Paris. Otherwise they're confined to colder areas like mountains. It's an impressively tough species, that's for sure (and it's a shame as I don't like them ).

Quote:
Given the nice weather lately I went over to Government House last evening. They have some nice gardens there and I thought they would be freshly planted but unfortunately nothing's in the ground yet.
Beautiful pics, were you using the same camera? Must be unreal to get a 30°C high together with brown grass and bare trees. Must happen rather regularly in places like Oklahoma though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Havent had time to compare but I think we are about the same. Maybe couple days behind? Nothing too drastic so hard to tell. About normal.
Yeah I remember it looking at bit like this, a tad more advanced on Long Island this time last year. I assume suburban LI is usually a few days ahead of your neck of the woods?

Quote:
Also, is that a Catepillar Web? Gross is right. I thought was a spider at first but web looks thick as heck. Do Catepillars do that?
Yeah caterpillar web. Probably tent caterpillars? Honestly I haven't seen as many in one place before, it was a continuous, 30-meter long "development". Yuck. There are many webs on pines in southeastern France. Those are worse as they cause itching:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_processionary

Quote:
That one is my favorite road pic. Would love views like that around here. Pretty cool to hear "canola" fields. No idea about the crop as far as harvesting ect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Isn't canola rapeseed?
Yeah I meant rapeseed. I've seen a Canadian mentioning canola fields before, thought it was called canola in the US, it's only the oil that's called so, right?

While I'm at it, I'm going to post the rest of the photos. South of Lyon:

Spoiler

Full overcast

Spoiler

Old snow on the Massif Central side (west):

Fresher snow on the Alps (east):

Lots of orchards in the lower Rhône valley. There were fire buckets to prevent frost.

I hadn't seen the landslip!

The first roadside cypresses! The Med isn't far.

Spoiler

The first olive trees!

Spoiler

Nice to the left, Marseille to the right:

Camouflage tank truck!

Not scots pines

Spoiler

Around Le Luc

Drier looking

Stone pines in the wild

First palms. Cloudless skies of course.

Cocos nucifera

Spoiler

Spoiler

Snow again!

Spoiler

Old 05-04-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post

Spoiler

Love love the photos with the coast and the snowcapped mountains. It is stunning. Also love all the palmy photos. Great shots. How long of a drive is it?

Old 05-04-2017, 11:59 AM

It's about 580 miles. Feels weird to see palms again (well, palms that aren't trachys ). Some queen palms look terrible, might have to do with this winter's chilly lows.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:20 PM

5,626 posts, read 3,449,218 times
Quote:
Beautiful pics, were you using the same camera? Must be unreal to get a 30°C high together with brown grass and bare trees. Must happen rather regularly in places like Oklahoma though.
Yeah, was using the same camera. Most of the other grass in town is green like the green photo. No lack of​ moisture here either, think that lawn is just taking extra time to wake up. Like you said though, bare trees and hot weather: strange combo but it happens from time to time in most parts of North America I would say.

Quote:
First palms. Cloudless skies of course.

Where was this? Where's the "palm line" in France?

Old 05-04-2017, 02:27 PM

2,155 posts, read 1,532,037 times
Ice floats today!

Raspberry bush!

Some other bush!

No clue what it is, but it's green. That's all that matters!

Hmmm... This larch tree looks like it has a green tint... I wonder why!

Oh that's why!

Some bird cherries are so close to popping now! If only next week wouldn't have like all 5'C days... Hopefully 19'C tomorrow will do something at least!

Spoiler

Of course I'm cherry picking the bird cherries. Most only look like this:

Either way, the buds are very very obviously green and can be seen from like a hundred meters away. Doesn't really show on my phone camera though as it doesn't do very well after 9pm...

This one is completely wild though in a grove, and is doing rather well.

This one's the clear winner though!

Although most leaves are still red for some reason...

It's annoying, because if it weren't for the fact that the leaves themselves aren't really very green, the tree would look a lot greener. Now it doesn't though.

This birch also doesn't seem too far away from popping...

That is if the upcoming week would have normal temperatures. As it stands now, it won't pop within this "heat window", and will probably have to wait over a week until temps turn normal.
Spoiler
(I mean, just look at this forecast:

Old 05-04-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Where was this? Where's the "palm line" in France?
This was near Fréjus, a few kilometers from the sea. As for the "palm line", there isn't really one. You see Chinese fan palms here and there in cities like Paris and Lyon (and in much more northerly places in Europe as well), and even Canary island date palms in the milder parts of Brittany:
https://www.google.fr/maps/@48.65085...8i6656!6m1!1e1

That being said, the only area where palms are ubiquitous would be a 10-km wide strip along the Mediterranean shores. It's also the only spot where you'd see less hardy types like, for example, queen palms or king palms (and the latter can only be seen on the Riviera as it's milder than, say, the Languedoc coast, even flipping Marseille has seen a -10°C high before!). You don't see washingtonias outside this strip either.

Old 05-04-2017, 04:46 PM

83,334 posts, read 74,699,145 times
May 4, 2017.

Merritt Parkway. Beautiful day with temps in the low 60s and dew points in the 30s. And now we wait for the rain tomorrow.

Speaking of rain... Might as well throw this down right before it. Ironite.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather