Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2017, 03:36 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times

Advertisements

can you identify what peaks they are? I'm guessing over 10,000 feet from the snow and ice cover.

Last edited by nei; 05-22-2017 at 08:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 04:09 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,731,109 times
Yea, peak on the left on the first shot is the Argentera (10817 ft) and the one to the right on the last shot is the Gelas (10312 ft).

Old 05-22-2017, 04:33 PM

83,516 posts, read 75,294,816 times
May 22, 2017.

57°F (14C), pretty much the max as well.

Guys working in the rain putting down sod.

Wet Wet Wet. Over 15 inches of rain in last 11 weeks. Lush Lush but Cold Cold today

Old 05-22-2017, 04:36 PM

5,734 posts, read 3,511,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
May 22, 2017.

57°F (14C), pretty much the max as well.

Guys working in the rain putting down sod.

Wet Wet Wet. Over 15 inches of rain in last 11 weeks. Lush Lush but Cold Cold today

That's great weather for new sod though! Hate it when they put down new sod, don't water it enough, and it's dead within a couple of days.

Old 05-22-2017, 05:18 PM

83,516 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
That's great weather for new sod though! Hate it when they put down new sod, don't water it enough, and it's dead within a couple of days.
I was thinking that same thing. Sod is established, easy to put down, no waiting for growth, but needs a ton of water each day so the rain was perfect for it. But, the guys were drenched. I got drenched checking my rain gauge just now. LMAO. Cant imagine all day of rain and being outside...and in the 50s. Poor guys were probably cursing the weather.

Old 05-22-2017, 06:04 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Yea, peak on the left on the first shot is the Argentera (10817 ft) and the one to the right on the last shot is the Gelas (10312 ft).
I was close on the height!

Old 05-22-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba_Wethu View Post
As I expected, the day after (Saturday) the pictures I took of the frozen lake in Tavelsjö, it melted pretty much all away. A little ice drifted ashore though. Nothing was left yesterday morning though.

Just a slush left along the shore.

Yesterday there was still snow left in the woods! Even after 24'C, and I think 3 or 4 days with 20'C temps there in Tavelsjö.

Creek was busy flowing.

I normally prefer broad-leaf forests over conifer forests, but it looked really cozy yesterday. Almost getting a little temperate rainforesty feeling after it rained like 20-30mm on Friday. Mosquitoes also not at full force, but there were a few!

After the heat, things finally started greening up. Most birches had started getting a green tint by the end of yesterday and this morning. Even a few wild birches had become quite green.

Today it was back to Umeå though, and there was a pretty substantial difference in greenery!
Entering the outskirts of the city by bus, and the goat willow shrubbery has started to become quite green. These birches in particular were not though.

Finally quite green in the city. These weren't green on Friday, maybe some of them had tiny leaves that were visible from a small distance away, but they weren't exactly green. So in two days they got to this point.

Some of them are really really green, although especially in the sunlight, they've got a really yellow tone, moreso than perhaps usually? I don't know. Perhaps because of the -7'C frosts a week ago?

I took a walk along our "shoreline promenade" that stretches across and around the river. Very very green there, Tavelsjö wasn't even on the same map.

The other side of the river is starting to green up quite neatly as well!

And then a scene I'm not used to in Umeå! Normally this is what you see around the beginning of April about 5-10 latitudes south. We don't have a lot of wild flowers except dandelions normally. But look at this! I'm in love!

Doggy seemed to enjoy the flowers as well!

All birches in the city are green or has tiny green leaves. Aspen and oaks aren't green at all, one species of poplar seems to have leafed and the other hasn't. Everything else is leafed (well maples are fully in bloom, but I guess they aren't exactly leafed yet, but at least they're green). It's really interesting, because normally bird cherry is the first to leaf, followed by birch and rowan typically a day or two after. Then it takes maybe a week before goat willow, maple and alder leaf. This year though, the birch cherries leafed on the fifth, and then it took like 2 weeks until wild birches started leafing, but at the same time as the birches leafed, goat willows and alders, as well as a few other trees, leafed as well. I guess everything has just been aching to pop for the last two cold weeks that once they got a window, they all went for it.
nice photos, like the temperate rainforest-y shot and that river path. Your area looks a lot better with leaves

Old 05-22-2017, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobsli View Post
^^Yes, very green and almost fully leafed out.
If the river dries out completely, is there any fish there? Maybe some water left in some deep pools?
I used to fish salmon in a local river...
huh, dunno. That river is very shallow. I think I've seen people fish there; just checked. Yes, the river has fish in deeper pools: "Mostly pocket water and riffles, the Green River has occasional pools that hold surprisingly large trout"

Read more: Massachusetts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost-likin View Post
The river there photos is completely different from the rivers here, it is so clean when you live Nei, here the water is so poluted ):
not many people along the banks, a bit dirtier downstream:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_...nmental_issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post

Maybe it's me, but you seem to take less leisure bike rides.

You mean, I'm posting less bike ride photos than I used to? Yea, I haven't been biking much this spring; started to more the last couple weeks.

Old 05-23-2017, 11:51 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,325,947 times
These jacarandas are very nice, they look so cute when they are just babies lol

Old 05-23-2017, 06:17 PM

13,484 posts, read 9,025,623 times
Some photos taken Tuesday afternoon at a little square by a local church...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather