Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2017, 03:06 PM

2,850 posts, read 1,969,542 times

Advertisements

It's pretty green here. I'm pretty sure we'd be another week or so ahead if it was wetter, but we haven't had appreciable rain for almost six weeks, just a few showers dropping a tenth of an inch or two. I think we're about a week ahead of normal for North Carolina; I haven't lived in Oklahoma long enough to know what is normal for here, but I imagine it's similar.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 03:55 PM

83,502 posts, read 75,260,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
At the hospital, took tons of pics on the way. Went up to 6th floor to snap these.

Someone tell me what these are, saw them back in feb. They are growing in a swampy/quicksand area. I actually got stuck in this area, every step you take you sink and one point I sunk 3 feet and had my shoe ripped off. Took a ton of effort on get it out.
Nice leaf out on those trees there. Early variety? I know exactly what you mean by "brown/green" mix with the frozen blooms.

Not sure what that growth is. I think we had figured it out last year when I had posted a photo and someone mentioned what it was? Not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srfoskey View Post
It's pretty green here. I'm pretty sure we'd be another week or so ahead if it was wetter, but we haven't had appreciable rain for almost six weeks, just a few showers dropping a tenth of an inch or two. I think we're about a week ahead of normal for North Carolina; I haven't lived in Oklahoma long enough to know what is normal for here, but I imagine it's similar.

The "green" looks like just blooms, not leaves. Kinda finding this surprising you guys don't have more leaves by now. Kinda. Cold March slowed everything down big time.

Old 03-28-2017, 03:59 PM

Just took these. When its sunny I'll post more close ups in the Photo Thread.

BTW, 96 straight hours without seeing the sun here and now nighttime coming so will be 108 hours+.

A bare looking tree but when looking closer....little buds. I see them in February sometimes so this isn't anything special.

My other Maple.. notice the buds are a different style. Interesting.

Old 03-28-2017, 04:07 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,916,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Just took these. When its sunny I'll post more close ups in the Photo Thread.

BTW, 96 straight hours without seeing the sun here and now nighttime coming so will be 108 hours+.

A bare looking tree but when looking closer....little buds. I see them in February sometimes so this isn't anything special.

My other Maple.. notice the buds are a different style. Interesting.

That's what it looks like here in Western PA. Buds are on a fair amount of the trees now, but nothing remotely ready to open up. Might happen in a few weeks, the extreme cold looks to be over.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:51 PM

855 posts, read 771,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Someone tell me what these are, saw them back in feb. They are growing in a swampy/quicksand area. I actually got stuck in this area, every step you take you sink and one point I sunk 3 feet and had my shoe ripped off. Took a ton of effort on get it out.
That is skunk cabbage, I believe. Do they smell bad?

Old 03-28-2017, 06:52 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,404,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unobtainium View Post
That is skunk cabbage, I believe. Do they smell bad?
No, I smelled it too. Definitely skunk cabbage actually. Just looked it up. What do you know! We are the southern edge of the range and they are very rare, I live on the fall line! I stumbled upon some very rare plants out here! Never seen them before.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:55 PM

855 posts, read 771,482 times
Quote:
But Magnolias here don't bloom till end of April at least so I find it hard to believe Ontario is that far ahead up there.

Proof of what people are claiming would be some webcams. I don't even trust pictures anymore since people on this forum use any source to post them lately. lol

Here's Northern side of Long Island, NY. Still brown and bare.

I think he mentioned star magnolias, which are early bloomers. Quite different from, say, southern magnolias.

I remember Vancouver having tons of magnolias in March or in a warm year even late February, not sure what kind they were. Street trees. They didn't seem to require warmth at all, just lengthening days and a lack of frost.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unobtainium View Post
I think he mentioned star magnolias, which are early bloomers. Quite different from, say, southern magnolias.

I remember Vancouver having tons of magnolias in March or in a warm year even late February, not sure what kind they were. Street trees. They didn't seem to require warmth at all, just lengthening days and a lack of frost.
Lol. A landscape that doesnt require warmth to grow??

Here are the temps from this month in Sault Ste Marie in Ontario just north of Michigan. Lack of frost?

IEM :: Site Info: CYAM SAULT STE MARIE

Old 03-28-2017, 07:22 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,590,333 times
We have a couple mushrooms that sprouted up at our apartment complex. Back in NY, you wouldn't see mushrooms until mid June

Old 03-28-2017, 07:42 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,359,970 times
Quote:
Lol. A landscape that doesnt require warmth to grow??

Here are the temps from this month in Sault Ste Marie in Ontario just north of Michigan. Lack of frost?

IEM :: Site Info: CYAM SAULT STE MARIE
He lives in SE Michigan, which is like 400 miles south of Sault Ste. Marie, which a climate that's good deal warmer.

Anyways, when he was talking of lack of frost he was speaking of Vancouver. And frost has been somewhat lacking in SE Michigan as of late. They haven't dropped below 32 F since last Thursday (I checked Ann Arbor).

Last edited by nei; 03-31-2017 at 06:33 PM.. Reason: rude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather