Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2017, 08:49 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,425,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YITYNR View Post
Around here, our news media freak out about heat, just like they freak out about cold, precipitation, or anything else. If it were 120*F here, or even 105*F, they'd be freaking out, going "ZOMG WORST HEAT WAVE EVAR!!!!!!!1!" and issuing the stupid "heat index" nonsense, saying it'll be "ZOMG 140 DEGREES!!!!1!"

As I stated in my original post, people around here, meteorologists included, want it just to be 68/52 and sunny every single day of the year. No rain, not too many clouds, and no warmth or cold whatsoever.
Same here. It seems like our meteorologists root for cool snaps during summer.

Last edited by Wildcat15; 02-25-2017 at 09:03 AM..

Old 02-25-2017, 04:40 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,297,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelernation71 View Post
That makes since because the people are probably warm weather lovers who want warmth in fall and don't want cold in spring.

I haven't seen anyone say they don't like springtime cold because it's not in the right season, most people who don't like springtime cold just want warmth.
I am one of those people, sort of. To me, no matter what any weather expert says, the normals are in fact what is normal, not an "average" (meaning that if the normal is 70 then it's not good enough for it to be 80 then 80 which averages out to 70) and to me the calendar is GOD in terms of what the weather should be. I'm very very big on that things belong in their place, and cold weather in spring or hot weather in late fall is "out of place" and has no business being there whatsoever.

I said "sort of," here's why. Yes I'm a warm weather person, that's what I like. Now, when it's winter, since I'm not in Hawaii, I accept that it will not be warm then. It's winter it's not supposed to be, and I'm not in Hawaii, so there. I accept it, I typically don't complain. HOWEVER, once spring is here, to me that's "my time," I paid my dues during the winter but winter is OVER now and there should not be one single solitary day at all where it acts like it's still winter, because it's not winter anymore and that is what matters.

I DON'T CARE that it's a "period of transition," that transition should be a straight-up climb (and a straight-down descent in the fall) without any "roller coaster" tendencies at all. Now, seeing that it doesn't want to do that, what I TRY to do is enjoy any "Indian Summer" which comes along figuring it's a "trade-off" for the cold days in the spring, and besides I enjoy them anyway in terms of the warmth. What I can't get out of my head, though, is that you have to "pay the piper" and so those warm days in fall will result in cold days in the spring, and I'm like "why can't it just be cold when it's supposed to be cold and be warm when it's supposed to be warm and stop 'cross-contaminating' everything that way?"

The other thing is that as I am getting older I am finding that I don't like extreme heat anymore than I do extreme cold and it bothers me because the period when it's supposed to be 65-80 is the period that gets raped and molested the most, and thus you end up with it seeming like it's ALWAYS either hot or cold with no mild 65-80 days to enjoy, and if it would JUST BE NORMAL then you WOULD have such days.

Old 02-27-2017, 06:45 PM

21 posts, read 16,336 times
When people dis my love for heat and deny how hot our record highs are for every month. When people get annoyed at how I can enjoy 90s in winter while they shovel snow. When people can't accept that I actually enjoy our 100s in summer and how I badly want to see 120F here.

Old 02-27-2017, 06:57 PM

3,326 posts, read 2,606,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelingHotHotHOT View Post
When people dis my love for heat and deny how hot our record highs are for every month. When people get annoyed at how I can enjoy 90s in winter while they shovel snow. When people can't accept that I actually enjoy our 100s in summer and how I badly want to see 120F here.
lmao la-mex is back

how many winter days did have LA on January and February with highs under 68f? oh yes I know, the majority! and rainy or cloudy ones? many of those ones too!!

Old 02-27-2017, 07:23 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,496,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junter View Post
lmao la-mex is back

how many winter days did have LA on January and February with highs under 68f? oh yes I know, the majority! and rainy or cloudy ones? many of those ones too!!
To be fair, it was a cloudy wet winter for the whole SW this time around. Phoenix only hit 20° or higher 7 times in January (about 1/3 the normal occurances)

Old 02-27-2017, 07:26 PM

11,556 posts, read 9,285,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Was that directed towards me?
Lol don't worry, no one in specific. There are a few people in the Spring thread wishing for cold and snow this March to make up for the "lost" winter. I sort of understand them, after back to back mild winters, but then again even "mild" winters in the Northeast are still plenty cold. And while the Midwest has been snowless, Northeast has had average or even above average snowfall amounts. I figure that a mild winter+high snowfall satisfies everyone

Old 02-28-2017, 01:07 PM

7,726 posts, read 6,394,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesRamon View Post
a lot people like bad weather (i.e., cold, snowy, rainy) because they like having an excuse to laze about indoors snacking like fatties and watching TV. they're mentally weak and they absolutely disgust me.
I'm 5'8, weigh about 135, I'm no beefcake but I do male modelling. Fat is not something I've been since I was about 1 years old lol. When its cold, snowy, rainy or foggy I'm not inside snacking and watching TV. I'm outside. I'm walking in the rain, leaving footsteps in the snow, taking pictures in the fog, enjoying the little bit of cold weather we get. Way to make assumptions. I'm more inclined to stay inside when its 95+ outside and yet I STILL go outside.

Old 02-28-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I see it being said by heat lovers all the time though.

I agree most people probably prefer mildly warm weather.

I think a lot of people prefer four seasons in general, with nothing too extreme. Cold enough for snow in winter, hot enough to go swimming. But the people who love heat/hate cold or vice versa are the most vocal ones. I wouldn't wanna move back to Miami but I also have zero interest in living in Fairbanks, Alaska. I love seasons. I love winter but I also look forward to everything changing for spring. I just wish it'd follow the calendar for once and not come too early -_-

Old 02-28-2017, 01:33 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,387,462 times
When people lie about their climate.. eg LA-Mex and his 90F winter average highs.. but it was kinda funny.

Maybe he got deported back to Mexico?

Old 02-28-2017, 01:45 PM

I find it annoying when people complain about a handful of days only outside of their preference. Like people that complain about rainy days when we don't even have that many over here. Like dude its cloudless blue skies about 80% of the year, can't I enjoy something else for once? I also don't like the stigma of weather being "gloomy". And its not that people call a cloudy day gloomy that bothers me, its more like; why is gloomy always a bad thing? Why can't we celebrate other emotions? I love gloomy days, they're peaceful and beautiful. I hate when people call a day "ugly" just cuz its rainy. Maybe its because I had a goth period as a teenager, who knows But I find a lot of beauty in grey skies and dark rainy days.

I don't see whats so ugly about a scene like this? https://chrismartinphotography.files...her-martin.jpg I absolutely love those colours. I love that greyish blue colour. I think grey is one of the most underrated colours out there.

https://writingonmyheart.files.wordp...r-17512611.jpg That's beautiful. Yea its gloomy. So what? Still pretty!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather