Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 03:56 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
People hoping for a bitter start to march, this really pisses me off.. after this warm winter lots of things are leafing and blooming. Peaches are about to be destroyed for sure, the cold loving variety will not set fruit regardless of the freeze because they haven't had enough cooling hours. Meanwhile the less cold desiring peaches are blooming and are about to get zapped...

Strawberries are about to get zapped...

Apples....

And countless other fruits/veggies

Every tree will defoliate and it's reset to mid winter... won't be blooming till may. Ironically people hoping for the cold all live in the north so they don't understand the implications the cold will have as nothing is blooming or growing there yet.... meanwhile 100% of southerners I have seen regardless of weather preference are hoping for an avoidance of a freeze. Now it was the warmup that put us here but it's the freeze that will end us.
There will be an equalization at some point, I doubt everywhere east of the Rockies would finish the year 10°F/5.6°C+ above normal

Old 02-23-2017, 04:00 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,403,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
There will be an equalization at some point, I doubt everywhere east of the Rockies would finish the year 10°F/5.6°C+ above normal
Well yeah but equalization equals crop failures if in March, wait till November or something.

Old 02-23-2017, 04:04 PM

149 posts, read 89,387 times
Quote:
People hoping for a bitter start to march, this really pisses me off.. after this warm winter lots of things are leafing and blooming. Peaches are about to be destroyed for sure, the cold loving variety will not set fruit regardless of the freeze because they haven't had enough cooling hours. Meanwhile the less cold desiring peaches are blooming and are about to get zapped...

Strawberries are about to get zapped...

Apples....

And countless other fruits/veggies

Every tree will defoliate and it's reset to mid winter... won't be blooming till may. Ironically people hoping for the cold all live in the north so they don't understand the implications the cold will have as nothing is blooming or growing there yet.... meanwhile 100% of southerners I have seen regardless of weather preference are hoping for an avoidance of a freeze. Now it was the warmup that put us here but it's the freeze that will end us.
I live in the south and I'm hoping for a bitterly cold spring. The reason is bugs. I don't care about plants. I hate bugs more than virtually anything. They make life a living hell for me. After this miserable excuse for a winter I feel like I'm owed a midsummer freeze.

I hate bugs. They spread disease and inflict pain more easily than anything else you'll commonly encounter outside. A flea infestation in my house, a maggot infestation in my room, and four out-of-nowhere, unprovoked wasp stings are more than enough to make me hate bugs far more than I could ever care about plants. Is that greedy? Yes. Yes it is. But I hate bugs, and nothing is going to change that.

If winter had been cold like it should have then I wouldn't be hoping for springtime freezes. But it was hellishly warm, so I am.

Have I mentioned that I hate bugs?

Old 02-23-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Kelvin View Post
I live in the south and I'm hoping for a bitterly cold spring. The reason is bugs. I don't care about plants. I hate bugs more than virtually anything. They make life a living hell for me. After this miserable excuse for a winter I feel like I'm owed a midsummer freeze.

I hate bugs. They spread disease and inflict pain more easily than anything else you'll commonly encounter outside. A flea infestation in my house, a maggot infestation in my room, and four out-of-nowhere, unprovoked wasp stings are more than enough to make me hate bugs far more than I could ever care about plants. Is that greedy? Yes. Yes it is. But I hate bugs, and nothing is going to change that.

If winter had been cold like it should have then I wouldn't be hoping for springtime freezes. But it was hellishly warm, so I am.

Have I mentioned that I hate bugs?
Maybe, bugs suck but that's the reality of where we live. You have bad luck with bugs.

Old 02-23-2017, 04:14 PM

149 posts, read 89,387 times
Quote:
Maybe, bugs suck but that's the reality of where we live. You have bad luck with bugs.
You're right. In all honesty I should really just move to a colder climate rather than wish for abnormal spring freezes here, but I won't be able to move for at least another year, so all I can do right now is complain.

Old 02-23-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Kelvin View Post
You're right. In all honesty I should really just move to a colder climate rather than wish for abnormal spring freezes here, but I won't be able to move for at least another year, so all I can do right now is complain.
I feel you, only going to get warmer regardless of what pattern we are in from here on out; you should try to find some solutions to avoid bugs at least to make living more bearable. Unfortunately a deep spring freeze will surely happen, its bound to so I cant change anything. if its 1 night in the upper 20s we can handle it though it will be very stressful and will do damage but if its multiple nights with even lower temps we are screwed.

Old 02-23-2017, 04:30 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,930,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
I was speaking of morning temperatures and (to a lesser extent) morning lows rather than daily minima; it's my impression that >60F as a daily minimum usually doesn't occur in days where the morning is >60F (either a morning high or a morning low where it creeps up a bit warmer later in the day) because it's uncommon for the temperature not to drop below 60F late in the following evening.

An excellent example of what I'm talking about was on February 12 of this year; at Fulton County Airport-Brown Field it only dropped to 64F that morning before warming up to 73F later in the day, but because it dropped to 58F before midnight on the following evening the daily minimum was recorded as 58F rather than 64F, which was the morning low (but not the daily minimum) that day. Another good example is January 18 at the same station, where the morning low was 61F, it warmed up to 70F later in the day, but dropped to 54F the following evening by midnight; again, the daily minimum was 54F but the morning low was 61F.

Of course that's two examples in a warmer-than-average two months, so of course it's not fair to say that 60F nights occur all the time, but it is fair to point out that they do usually occur in any given winter in your region. The furthest north that happens all the time (as opposed to just occasionally) in midwinter is the Gulf Coast's climates. Mobile, for example, has set daily minima above 60F 5 times in the last 23 days.
I figured that's what you meant. Truth be told the data I pulled was minimum temps. I can't think of a way to find that actual data without going day by day.

Quote:
Higher latitude does provide long summer days and long winter nights which is significant for a lot of people; many may derive greater enjoyment of 80F summers at a higher latitude where there's more daylight than at a lower latitude where there's less. I agree that judging climates by latitude has gotten out of hand, though.
I mainly meant winters which are generally cloudy anyway. Summers in a lot of those places are nice but 40s and overcast just isn't warm.

Old 02-23-2017, 04:36 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,589,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
If you actually visit NetWeather during the summer you'll find that nearly all of the 'coldies' have left and people start searching for heat and thunderstorms instead. People who want cool, cloudy weather in July or August are usually hounded off the forum.
I joined last summer, and in May there were people still hoping for a freak late cold spell. Then in June, which was a total disgrace of a month, there were people wishing for it to be even cooler and wetter! In September, which made up for the non-showing of June, those same people were complaining that it was too warm.

Old 02-23-2017, 05:07 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,964 times
How 70f is considered the "default" mild temperature

Old 02-23-2017, 05:17 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
How 70f is considered the "default" mild temperature
Humans thermal exchange with the air is optimized at 22°C/71.6°F, it was scientifically derived
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather