Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 07:44 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,178,032 times

Advertisements

Bowling Green, KY / White House, TN (they're very similar)

Spring. 91% / A-. Springs here are very good, nice, mild weather (most days high 60-80 F / 16-27 C) and plenty of rain and thunderstorms. Don't like the cold spells in March.

Summer. 90% / A-. Summer is reliably hot (most days high 85-95 F / 29-35 C) and has plenty of precipitation. I would enjoy more of a variation in temperatures (a few days with <80 F / 27 C highs each summer, and a few days with >100 F / 38 C highs as well)

Fall. 77% / C+. Good temperatures (65-85 F / 18-29 C highs), but slightly warmer than spring, especially comparing September to May. Also too dry.

Winter. 67% / D+. Too mild, with far too many days in that pointless 40-50 F / 4-10 C high range. Not nearly snowy enough and doesn't get nearly enough cold days.

Overall: 81% / B-. Not a bad climate.

A worst-case year (warm winter, cool summer, below average precip) would probably get a D+.
A best-case year (cold winter, average or warm summer, slightly above average precip) could manage an A-.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 09:20 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,556,473 times
London

Winter...........D - cool, damp, dark with early sunsets. It rarely every snows. On the plus side, it's quite mild especially for the latitude and it gets sunnier when it's colder. Generally gloomy but inoffensive in terms of discomfort. Some surprisingly extremely mild 10+°C lows.

Spring.......C - blossoming trees can get really beautiful, days are long and there are some lovely warm days around May. Still wish it were reliably warmer.

Summer......C - meh. Generally warm with some sunshine. A few unacceptably cool or too overcast days.

Autumn........D+ - mild but too cloudy.

Nice

Winter........B- Stellar for the latitude, lots of sunshine and crisp blue skies, very mild 15C+ days not uncommon. Nights are nevertheless markedly cool, daylight is quite short at 43°N and there are some unpleasant rainy stretches.

Spring.........C+ Probably my least favorite season in Nice, in particular around April. It is good in absolute terms but disappointingly similar to winter in terms of temps and cloudiness (IIRC April is even cloudier than Jan-Feb in %); very stable so 20°C+ days are rare even well into April due to the cold sea; and when a warm spell hits France, it is not uncommon to see the whole country rise above 25°C while Nice stays stuck in upper-teens limbo.

Summer...........A Reliably hot, abundance of sunshine, long days: near perfect. Downsides - there could be a couple more thunderstorms; some nights are incredibly sticky - we've had lows as high as 28°C recorded at the "cool" airport station.

Autumn.............B September is basically an extension of summer; October is mild and sometimes warm with some spectacular storms, November is still mild though there could be some annoying rainy stretches.

Old 03-13-2017, 09:22 AM

1,363 posts, read 790,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Spring (Mar 11th to May 31st): A-

Our best season of the year. Sunniest time of year, dry season, high temps between 77°F/25°C and 99°F/37.2°C, low temps between 53°F/11.7°C and 74°F/23.3°C, with low humidity

Summer (Jun 1st to Sept 30th): C-

Our worst season, too rainy and humid in August and September, and too hot outright in July and August. June is usually ok though, at least the first half of June. Normal highs from 99°F/37.2°C up to 108°F/42.2°C falling to 96°F/35.6°C, normal lows from 74°F/23.3°C up to 86°F/30°C falling to 72°F/22.2°C.

Fall (Oct 1st to Nov 20th): B

Slightly cloudier and wetter than Spring, and real early sunsets don't allow the later half to be enjoyed as much as the early half of Spring. Normal highs 95°F/35°C down to 77°F/25°C, normal lows 72°F/22.2°C down to 53°F/11.7°C

Winter (Nov 21st to Mar 10th): B-

Cloudiest time of the year, and our main wet season (more rain than the summer monsoon coupled with lower evapotranspiration). Though December still gets 70% possible sunshine as our cloudiest month of the year. Temps better than 95% of the country. Normal highs 76°F/24.4°C down to 65°F/18.3°C rebounding to 77°F/25°C, normal lows 52°F/11.1°C down to 43°F/6.1°C rebounding to 53°F/11.7°C
I'm surprised you rated your summer as the worst season with only a C- and complaining it's too hot, considering how much you like to pimp and foam over Phoenix's heat at every available opportunity and how enamoured you are with its heat and your own love of heat.

Like today in the temperature thread you had an almost up to the minute update on Phoenix's temps as it exceeded 30C, pimping it big time just to make sure everyone knows about it. Weird

Old 03-13-2017, 11:01 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerParty View Post
I'm surprised you rated your summer as the worst season with only a C- and complaining it's too hot, considering how much you like to pimp and foam over Phoenix's heat at every available opportunity and how enamoured you are with its heat and your own love of heat.

Like today in the temperature thread you had an almost up to the minute update on Phoenix's temps as it exceeded 30C, pimping it big time just to make sure everyone knows about it. Weird
40°C is my breaking point. My ideal temps are in the 25° to 35° range for afternoons

That is why Spring is my favorite season here

Old 03-13-2017, 04:30 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,533,680 times

Spring: B-

Usually starts kicking in around mid/late February when the daffodils start blooming and lasts until about the summer solstice. Excellent for cool season gardening and winter rains taper off from unrelenting to pleasant showers. Sunshine exposure increases rapidly following the end of February and by early to mid June it stops raining altogether. Very good season overall that can be somewhat spoiled by windy and chilly conditions.

Summer: B+

Long days, dry weather, and comfortable temperatures dominate the weather from late June through August. Morning and evening fog is a near daily occurrence but most days see at least several hours of sunshine and typically between 6 and 8 hours. While rain won't spoil your picnic a sudden onset of fog and accompanying drop in temperatures could.

Fall: B+

September is the warmest and sunniest month by far, with temperatures climbing to the high 60s to low 70s regularly. The rain starts showing up usually by mid to late October and a rainy Halloween is not uncommon. Both October and November can still be pleasantly warm though, and the rain can bring some sorely needed moisture after 4-5 months of dryness. Excellent season overall.

Winter: C-

Winter is completely dominated by clouds and rain, but in terms of interesting weather it's the top season. Fronts come blasting in off the ocean from either the north (cold) or south (warm) and will bring varying types of weather with them. Cold fronts tend to be more unstable with high winds, heavy rains, and sometimes hail and lightning/thunder whereas the warm fronts are larger, slower, and last longer. Sometimes a cold front will immediately precede a warm front or vice versa which can lead to wild temperature swings. Clear days are rare in winter and when we do get them they tend to be cold. The weather isn't what gets me in winter, but the dark and cold can be unpleasant. It's important to stay physically and mentally active in winter or you'll go nuts.

Overall I'd give the climate here a solid B. Summers could be a bit warmer and sunnier but that's really all I'd change about it, and I'd take summer here over an inland or southern summer any time.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:48 PM

4,315 posts, read 6,277,731 times
Outer East Bay California (tri-valley):

-Spring - B+ - Mild to warm days, cool nights. A little rain periodically early in the spring, but very dry towards the end. Occasional heat wave, but pretty rare. Days will start out in the 60s and ramp up to the 80s towards late spring. Nights will start out in the 40s and will ramp up to the 50s.
-Summer - B+ - Most days are warm to very warm in the day and cool to mild at night. Generally the sea breeze will kick in during the late afternoon to cool things down at night. Many times fog will come in at night and last through the early morning, but no rain all summer. Heat waves can be more off and on and can sometimes be intense (100+), but not humid. At night, it will drop down to the high 50s, maybe low 60s during a heat wave.
-Fall - A - Probably my favorite time of the year. In the early fall, you can have a few remnants of heat (into early Oct), but days are generally mild and mainly dry early. You'll start to see a few storms as early as October (some years) but more frequent in Nov, before they really kick in during December. Nights will drop from the 50s (Oct) to the upper 30s (Dec)
-Winter - B - Can be very rainy, especially this year. Highs generally in the 50s, sometimes low 60s. Lows in the 30s to low 40s. Occasionally can get into the 20s for a short stretch, but that doesn't last more than a week or so.

Overall B+/A-. Tough to complain, unless you like more severe weather or extreme temperature fluctuation.

Old 03-13-2017, 05:00 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,727,553 times
Paris

Winter: D+
Far too mild and stable. The gloom and shortish days partly make up for the lack of real cold in the sense that there is still a "dead" season. Bare trees add to the feeling. Still, any cold is fleeting and looking at European temp maps with -10s and -20s sitting a few hundred kilometers to the east is frustrating.

Spring: D
Early spring is too dry, there should be more thunderstorms. Could do with more variation. Also, screw pollen.

Summer: C
It's somewhat warm, but cool enough for a below average summer month to feel fall-like. Disastrously dull months aren't unheard of (June 2012 anyone?). On the plus side it's pretty variable so you're guaranteed true sumery conditions at some point in the season. You just better make the most out of them. Some nice storms from time to time, though most of the predicted armageddons turn out to be duds. Northeastern France and even flipping Normandy seem to get better ones. The worst: a scorching airmass gives way to oceanic crap without any rumble of thunder.

Fall: D
It's quite bland really and generally not as variable as spring or summer. On the plus side, the change in seasons is pretty quick for an oceanic climate. You get that half-assed punch in the guts on the first coldish November day.

In summary, a pretty lackluster climate year-round even though can be enjoyable at times.

Nice

Winter: F
I hate it. It's at the latitude of Portland, Maine and doesn't even get a freeze most years. The only positive is that it allows to grow all sorts of exotic plants that look appropriate on muggy summer evenings. While most people's "limbo range" seems to be the single digits °C, mine straddles the 10°C mark. Nice's winters are precisely that, and only that. Too chilly to enjoy oneself outdoors, far too warm for it to be Winter with a capital W.

Spring: E-
As dhdh said, it takes way too long to warm up, not there's much of a winter to warm up from. Nice feels like a real-life version of Frühlingsdorf. And yes, April is the cloudiest month of the year. It's also mind-numbingly stable, though every season is.

Summer: B
Before moving there, I didn't think I'd enjoy mediterranean summers all that much given the lack of rain. In fact it's the only flaw of this season, albeit a major one. It might be the sun-starved Parisian talking here, but everything else is bliss, from the abundant sunshine to the muggy evenings. And when you get tired of 20°C+ dew points, a foehn wind comes out of nowhere and rises the temp to the mid-30s with a bone dry relative humidity. Or else a cool change brings highs in the mid-20s and lows in the teens. I guess it's pure chance, but both Junes I've experienced there featured dramatic cloudscapes almost daily. Definitely not a "blue dome afternoon following morning marine layer"-type med climate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
Downsides [...] some nights are incredibly sticky - we've had lows as high as 28°C recorded at the "cool" airport station.
That's a plus imo. I hope the airport station will record a 30°C+ low next summer. Highly unlikely, but hell it has happened in Menton, so why not.

Fall: C-
The interest factor is definitely here. Since I've moved there I've seen a 500 mm+ month and a 150 mm+ thunderstorm. Another plus, September, or at least its first half, is still pretty summery. Case in point: last September. But let's not forget the fact that it's the season leading to "winter". And did I mention that the day-to-day variability was nigh zero year long, including fall?

All in all, a terrible climate in the colder half of the year, but quite a decent warm season.

Old 03-13-2017, 05:27 PM

65 posts, read 40,924 times
The closest city to my town, which is a long time measured temperature is Novi Sad. Novi Sad is 54km away from my town. Climate of Novi Sad 1961-1990 https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/&#1053...BC.D0.B0.D1.82 Climate of Novi Sad 1981-2010 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novi_Sad#Climate

Old 03-16-2017, 02:51 PM

2,850 posts, read 1,969,179 times
Spring: B
Gradual warming trend, plants green up, solid rainfall, only problems are potential for extremely violent tornadoes, potential extreme variation in March, and a bit fast on the warmup.

Way too hot, July and August are too dry, only good things are thunderstorms and it not being too cold.

Can take too long to get here, fall foliage is meh after dry summer, no other complaints.

Winter: B-
Too mild, dry, and windy, not enough snow. Also too much variation. But at least not usually warm or extremely cold.

Overall: B/B-

Old 03-16-2017, 02:54 PM

2,850 posts, read 1,969,179 times
Spring: B
Gradual warming trend, plants green up, solid rainfall, only problems are potential for extremely violent tornadoes, potential extreme variation in March, and a bit fast on the warmup.

Way too hot, July and August are too dry, only good things are thunderstorms and it not being too cold.

Can take too long to get here, fall foliage is meh after dry summer, no other complaints.

Winter: B-
Too mild, dry, and windy, not enough snow. Also too much variation. But at least not usually warm or extremely cold.

Overall: B/B-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
I can't see the weather box at the link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather