Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 12:31 PM

3,600 posts, read 2,690,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Though I agree that MMGW has had an impact, I'm sure that Svalbard has seen many consecutive months and years above and below a base period before in the longterm record
Why does that curve stop at 2007, ten years ago?
75 consecutive months above normal, last month below or at normal was Nov 2010.
There is still weather up there, so a month colder than normal might occur, and will almost certainly be in the warm period May-Sep.

Here is annual average at Longyearbyen/Svalbard Airport - with the last ten years included. Rising sharply last decades.

Source: http://www.rimfrost.no/

Last edited by Jakobsli; 03-15-2017 at 01:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 12:38 PM

29,505 posts, read 19,602,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobsli View Post
Why does that curve stop at 2007, ten years ago?
that is the most recent one I could find with a long term trend.

Quote:
75 consecutive months above normal, last month below or at normal was Nov 2010.
There is still weather up there, so a month colder than normal might occur, and will almost certainly be in the warm period May-Sep.

Here is annual average at Longyearbyen/Svalbard Airport - with the last ten years included. Rising sharply last decades.
Thanks for sharing that

Old 03-15-2017, 01:58 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bruce View Post
Weather != climate.

I am curious. What would change your mind? What specific evidence would you need? I will give you an example, I am fairly sure that I can tell red from green. However, if my wife, several coworkers and some random stranger I asked on the street told me my green pants were red I would strongly consider my opinion wrong. I might start to look into it, going as far as taking a picture of my pants, opening it in a photo editor to see what the RGB value was. If it was FF0000 well that's the end of it, I would have accept that I had been wrong and start calling what I thought was green "red".

What's the human caused GW equivalent for you?
Nothing. It is a silly, but very profitable scam. Follow the money.

The climate always has and always will change. No stopping it. Now pollution is a different story.

Old 03-15-2017, 02:11 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Heat trapping gases don't trap heat sounds unlikely. Yes, [before chicagogeorge enters] the scale of their impact is uncertain and might be exaggerated. But if there a very fast warming observed, a large increase in heat-trapping gases having little to do with it seems unlikely.

Without a scale of how much / how often, "the climate always has and always will change" doesn't mean much. Can an increase in global temperatures of 5°F in one century happen naturally? Some of the natural climate changes involved a change in greenhouse gases, why should the impact this time of greenhouse gases be zero?

Old 03-15-2017, 02:11 PM

13,480 posts, read 9,020,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villages Guy View Post

The climate always has and always will change. No stopping it. Now pollution is a different story.
No one is debating that, but the speed at which the climate is currently changing is what is the problem, humans are speeding the process up...

Old 03-15-2017, 02:13 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Though I agree that MMGW has had an impact, I'm sure that Svalbard has seen many consecutive months and years above and below a base period before in the longterm record

that's a nice graph, but it's hard to make much sense of the blue graph since the annual seasonal cycle is much larger than any climate change of the same month [even the hottest February on record is a lot cooler than August]. Or perhaps just a graph for all Februarys, etc. would be better?

Old 03-15-2017, 02:45 PM
SFX

1,635 posts, read 889,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bruce View Post
What would change your mind? What specific evidence would you need?
Those are specific and important questions, and not just for one side.

Old 03-15-2017, 03:40 PM

149 posts, read 89,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villages Guy View Post

Ah, because there's no way that massive oil companies could benefit from global warming denial. None at all.

The government (previously) utilizing anthropogenic global warming and climate change as a means to push its agenda does nothing to invalidate the scientific evidence and reasoning for such concepts.

And would you please stop with all the "climate has always changed" nonsense? Unless you can specifically demonstrate how the Earth's previous climactic changes due to natural causes preclude the possibility that present climate change is due to artificial causes, you might want to find a better argument. It seems as though you're saying that one event could not conceivably have more than one possible cause, which is patently absurd.

Old 03-15-2017, 04:00 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Kelvin View Post
Ah, because there's no way that massive oil companies could benefit from global warming denial. None at all.
Oil companies will benefit plenty from global warming, provided that it actually gets warmer. Like new access to the oil deposits under the Arctic Ocean after the ice melts. Decreased shipping times by utilizing the Northwest Passage. Reduced heating costs for oil rigs and worker housing. And if global "warming" means it'll get colder---causing the Noah Webster, the dictionary publisher, to turn over in his grave---they can sell more heating oil. Win/win.

So if anything, oil companies have little or nothing to gain from denying global warming, considering how they'll benefit from it.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 03-15-2017 at 04:08 PM..

Old 03-15-2017, 04:40 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,370,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
So if anything, oil companies have little or nothing to gain from denying global warming, considering how they'll benefit from it.
How could anyone say such statement? I still get astonished when I read this kind of comments.

Of course they do! If the idea of an anthropogenic global warming that can cause severe trouble to the planet and people's quality of life gets almost universal among common people in the way it is within the scientific community, the politicians around the world would get pushed to implement policies in order to mitigate it. This is, to drastically reduce greenhouse emissions.

Oil companies may benefit as long as they are sure that no policies will be implemented, which is what is virtually happening nowadays as many people and politicians disregard the scientific consensus and arrogantly declare the opposite without having any clues on what they are talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather