Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 12:17 PM

5,706 posts, read 3,773,644 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I am doing a research paper. I would love to know your opinions if it is ethical or otherwise ok for scientists or weather stations to accelerate forecasts of climate change and sea level rise in order to push people to take action now. The data would otherwise be accurate, however, more aggressive in timing so as to influence behavior. Do you think this is happening? Is this ok and even encouraged and necessary or not. What are your thoughts and comments? All feedback welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 02:29 PM

2,197 posts, read 1,493,891 times
Nope. A science agency that is supposed to be respected should never ever publish anything that's not wholly truthful. Politicized science is a terrible idea, they should not publish not completely correct data to push their agendas. If it comes out that they are being over agressive on timing, it will only increase opposition. Now I'm all for stopping global warming, but this isn't the answer.

Old 04-01-2017, 02:33 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,375,514 times
I dont think its okay.

Old 04-01-2017, 03:21 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,503,677 times
Any false information sets a dangerous precedent so by default that's the wrong thing to do.

Old 04-01-2017, 09:20 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,463,557 times
No. You could present "this is the worst that could happen" but make it clear that you're using a deliberate exaggeration.

Old 04-02-2017, 02:47 AM

3,586 posts, read 4,972,216 times
No.
The liberal/establishment media has been doing this for quite some time since the early-mid 2000s, giving predictions of a 4-6 C rise in global temps by 2100 from ca 2005 levels when that is just the high end of the predictions with the median at 2.5-3 C or so. This caused a backlash from conservatives, conspiracy theorists and the mass populace who didn't care to read through the actual papers and just dismissed everything as a hoax. Just look at Donald Trump and his supporters if this wasn't obvious to you already.
In order words, all propaganda tends to produce the opposite of the author's intention once seen for what it is. This applies even if you have good intentions in mind.

Old 04-02-2017, 10:25 AM

808 posts, read 710,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelernation71 View Post
Nope. A science agency that is supposed to be respected should never ever publish anything that's not wholly truthful. Politicized science is a terrible idea, they should not publish not completely correct data to push their agendas. If it comes out that they are being over agressive on timing, it will only increase opposition. Now I'm all for stopping global warming, but this isn't the answer.
Exactly. I don't even know why this is a question. We don't falsify mathematics to prove a point, do we?

Old 04-02-2017, 10:37 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
Hi everyone, I am doing a research paper. I would love to know your opinions if it is ethical or otherwise ok for scientists or weather stations to accelerate forecasts of climate change and sea level rise in order to push people to take action now. The data would otherwise be accurate, however, more aggressive in timing so as to influence behavior. Do you think this is happening? Is this ok and even encouraged and necessary or not. What are your thoughts and comments? All feedback welcomed.
Are you crazy? That is NOT science. That is making a projection...that is not a fact...how do you know it is accurate unless you wait to see if that happens?

Too many people hold science in low regard as it is - why would you politicize it?

And no - I don't think "accelerated forecasts" are happening now.

BTW - at the most, your paper will be an opinion piece. Taking a convenience sample from the web is by no means "research". See what people say who frequent FoxNews.

Old 04-02-2017, 12:35 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,921,746 times
Bad idea. In order to win over the public, the tone of the message that is sent across has to be managed. If the predictions come across as too extreme, then the general public will start to believe that they're simply scaremongering. It's important to convey realistic predictions, that don;t seem too far-fetched, otherwise people will be alienated.

Old 04-18-2017, 03:32 PM

5,706 posts, read 3,773,644 times
thank you for all your replies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather