Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Kansas City, MO or Istanbul, Turkey?
Kansas City 15 35.71%
Istanbul 27 64.29%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 02:54 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
How do you like winters in Austin?
This winter was great, most of it was in the 60's and 70's with some abnormal spells of cold weather (one day was 85 then the next day didn't get above 22 then it was 78 several days later, didn't like that roller coaster)and a few days of warm weather in the 80's. However, last winter and the winter before sucked, it was too cold.

Overall I'm not a super big fan of the winters here but they beat around 90% of the East Coast in my opinion and most of the West. Only South Florida, South Texas, S. Arizona, and Southern California have better winters. I'm not a "winter person" so I just try to live in a place where that season is minimized.

I rate the Austin climate a solid B.

Old 04-11-2017, 03:07 PM

2,155 posts, read 1,541,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
KC is hotter in the summer, but Istanbul is still really humid. So you're right.

Kansas City is prone to dry heat too, btw. So it isn't always humid.
Old quote, but from mid-June to mid-August last summer, the DP high was never below 19'C in KC... Istanbul on the other hand had plenty of days with DP highs around 15'C in that time period. Average DP high in KC is about 2-3'C higher, in July and August, than in Istanbul. That, couple with the fact that the days have higher temperatures as well really makes for a significant difference in hotness.

Either way, I'll obviously take Istanbul for the significantly milder temperatures year round.

Old 04-11-2017, 03:52 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
This winter was great, most of it was in the 60's and 70's with some abnormal spells of cold weather (one day was 85 then the next day didn't get above 22 then it was 78 several days later, didn't like that roller coaster)and a few days of warm weather in the 80's. However, last winter and the winter before sucked, it was too cold.

Overall I'm not a super big fan of the winters here but they beat around 90% of the East Coast in my opinion and most of the West. Only South Florida, South Texas, S. Arizona, and Southern California have better winters. I'm not a "winter person" so I just try to live in a place where that season is minimized.

I've always wanted to visit Austin in winter. I want to go to the LBJ library.

Old 04-11-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I've always wanted to visit Austin in winter. I want to go to the LBJ library.
LBJ Library is definitely a good place to visit. They have an animatronic LBJ that quotes his famous phrases...

Old 04-11-2017, 06:01 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:

I'm a winter person, the Twin Cities climate is mild compared to what I would prefer such as the Northwoods of MN, WI, or MI- or a mountain valley in the Northern Rockies. Northern New England would work as well. Anywhere south of 40 degrees latitude is well too far south of what I prefer.

Old 04-11-2017, 06:03 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,953,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba_Wethu View Post
Old quote, but from mid-June to mid-August last summer, the DP high was never below 19'C in KC... Istanbul on the other hand had plenty of days with DP highs around 15'C in that time period. Average DP high in KC is about 2-3'C higher, in July and August, than in Istanbul. That, couple with the fact that the days have higher temperatures as well really makes for a significant difference in hotness.

Either way, I'll obviously take Istanbul for the significantly milder temperatures year round.
Ah, I see.

I'll still take Kansas City. I hate gloomy, moist winters. Yeah, their summers would be killers. I guess in the summer I'd prefer Istanbul and in the winter KC.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I'm a winter person, the Twin Cities climate is mild compared to what I would prefer such as the Northwoods of MN, WI, or MI- or a mountain valley in the Northern Rockies. Northern New England would work as well. Anywhere south of 40 degrees latitude is well too far south of what I prefer.
I'm beginning to like hot deserts more and more. I can't live north of the 30 parallel, too little sunlight in winter and I'll get SAD. My skin also doesn't take well to artificially heated environments.

I'm also getting into gardening and realizing that a Zone 10 or 11 would be much better than the 8b or 9a that I'm used to. I just planted two Australian bottlebrush trees and hoping they will live through the Austin winters. They can go down to 30, but Austin usually gets below that each year. I'm hoping to cover them on those cold nights. Fortunately I placed it in a sunny spot facing south and west and protected by a fence from winds so they should get max sun exposure. We'll see.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
I'm beginning to like hot deserts more and more. I can't live north of the 30 parallel, too little sunlight in winter and I'll get SAD. My skin also doesn't take well to artificially heated environments.

I'm also getting into gardening and realizing that a Zone 10 or 11 would be much better than the 8b or 9a that I'm used to. I just planted two Australian bottlebrush trees and hoping they will live through the Austin winters. They can go down to 30, but Austin usually gets below that each year. I'm hoping to cover them on those cold nights. Fortunately I placed it in a sunny spot facing south and west and protected by a fence from winds so they should get max sun exposure. We'll see.

I was in the Savannah, GA area this past Jan and def noticed the sun being higher in the sky and very bright and felt stronger.

Even though the Southeast US gets colder fronts in winter than places like Nice, FR, the sun is stronger and brighter in winter. I know their sun in a place like Nice is weaker in winter cause I'm at a lower latitude, and it was very apparent the diff in how the sun felt on my skin in Savannah in Jan vs here. Sun angle makes a big diff in how a winter day feels.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:

Consider Yuma or Phoenix or Palm Springs. Palm Springs has a winter lowest mean temp of 34F. Seems pretty solid 10a except for maybe once every 20 years or so.

Old 04-12-2017, 02:02 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,042,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Kansas City is prone to dry heat too, btw. So it isn't always humid.
Lol, I wish. We get maybe a week and a half of non-humid days if you add them all up over the entire summer (June-September). You're correct that it isn't always humid, but only barely.

(Yes, September. Short shoulder seasons here.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather