Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which feels the hottest?
New York City 7 12.28%
Las Vegas 50 87.72%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 02:08 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Nope... check it out.. NYC highest dew point came in the evenings. I still think it's variable around this region and there's no real common theme but after seeing this, makes me think evenings are when we get the highest dews

I just looked over a couple different years for the month of July for here and seems pretty consistently to be very early morning like 5 to 7am with the highest humidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 02:14 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,361,458 times
Highest dew point in the summer here are almost always in the mornings. Not uncommon to have a dew point near 80 F in the morning and then drop to like 74-75 F in the afternoon (I know that's still really humid, but 80 F is a whole other level).

Old 04-21-2017, 02:29 PM

29,520 posts, read 19,612,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Fair enough. It is absolutely subjective, and I base my opinions on my experiences living here, and visiting other places. I find most summer days here to be "pleasantly" warm, not "uncomfortably" warm which is what I would call St Louis (and DC too in July/Aug).. Low to mid 80's is the norm here as it is in NYC.... MDW only sees 23 days at or above 90F a year. My town about 26.... For me 90 degrees is my threshold of hot weather (of course with typical eastern US dew points).

Btw, my wife called me yesterday from Houston and said it was very hot. Walking around in a one piece bathing suit. Mind you it's only April. Imagine Houston in the dead of summer (I've been there). The heat and humidity is relentless. Non stop. In NYC or Chicago we get only small tastes of that at a time with lots of cool breaks. St Louis, which I spent almost the entire summer of 1992 at was certainly hotter than it is here, but still no match for Houston.
Just to add to my point.... My wife just texted me this. LOL

Old 04-21-2017, 02:32 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,361,458 times
Your reply simply being "Lol" is what made me laugh.

Old 04-21-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Just to add to my point.... My wife just texted me this. LOL

Where is your wife right now?

Old 04-21-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Your reply simply being "Lol" is what made me laugh.
Can you tell that I'm so sympathetic

She's such a pool and beach type person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Where is your wife right now?
Was in Houston all week for business. Should be landing at MDW in a couple of hours...

Old 04-21-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Can you tell that I'm so sympathetic

She's such a pool and beach type person.

Was in Houston all week for business. Should be landing at MDW in a couple of hours...

I remember a Philly based local newspaper reporter years ago wrote about his move to Houston. He described being drenched by an afternoon thunderstorm then the sun coming out and temp rising to the 90's. He described it as feeling like a steamed clam. I was young then but never forgot that article or the description.

Old 04-21-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:

The sun is quite a bit higher in the sky down there. I got sunburned in Beaufort SC and Savannah in January this year just walking around in the afternoons at the Botanical Gardens in the area.

One time in South Beach years ago I got blisters from sunburn in February. Sun was def lower than our summer sky (I never blister here unless I don't use sunscreen), but still my skin was so pale from winter and the sunscreen I used was past its use by date. I learned never to use old sunscreen again.

Old 04-21-2017, 04:27 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,289,161 times
I already find the heat/humidity to be enough like this here.

Mind you we just had two julys in a row with a 28c average mean and a 22c average low, but I'd have a hard time going higher than that without any A/C.

Houston / the U.S. south seems unbearable. I love really hot weather in the summer, but not all the time. Variety in weather is always welcome (by me).

Old 04-21-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I remember a Philly based local newspaper reporter years ago wrote about his move to Houston. He described being drenched by an afternoon thunderstorm then the sun coming out and temp rising to the 90's. He described it as feeling like a steamed clam. I was young then but never forgot that article or the description.
I had a former student (originally from India) who moved to Houston over 10 years ago, once correspond with me saying it's as hot there as it is where he is from in India. I have been there a couple of times. Once in August. All I can say is that it was DAMN HOT, and I was dripping from the humidity without even moving. We get that way once and a while (as does NYC and Philly of course), but there are like that for months straight with zero relief at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather