Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which feels the hottest?
New York City 7 12.28%
Las Vegas 50 87.72%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 12:58 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,344,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
Voted for Vegas.

(snipped) How does one quote just a line or 2 instead of the entire post?
Edit the text within the quote /quote. Considered proper to note you did it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 01:33 PM

29,513 posts, read 19,612,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I have to disagree with you. If I can sweat by simply standing outside it's more than just "warm".

I can sweat outside standing in the sun in May on an average day. I don't think 80's which is common in NYC/Chicago is very warm or hot by any means.

Quote:
And the summers in places like D.C. and STL aren't really different from the summers in Atlanta and Charlotte.

No, not much you are right

90F+

Atlanta 46
St Louis 45
DC 38

Just seems that the heat would be more consistent in Atlanta than in St Louis or DC which are further north...

Maybe "hot" would be more like Montgomery, Birmingham and New Orleans then.

Old 04-20-2017, 03:31 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,407,199 times
LV is a world away from NYC, NYC has very pleasant summers, not hot. Doesn't even average 30C highs..

Old 04-20-2017, 03:47 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,815,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
LV is a world away from NYC, NYC has very pleasant summers, not hot. Doesn't even average 30C highs..
Indeed. Vegas is much hotter, simple as that.

Whether somebody finds NYC hot is open for debate. I'd say that most English people would struggle with an NYC summer, as it's simply much hotter than they're used to. Somebody from Houston or Miami is probably wondering what the fuss is all about with NYC's pleasant spring-like summers

Without hijacking the thread too much, which city would people choose if it was Last Vegas Vs Houston?

Old 04-20-2017, 03:50 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,361,458 times
^ Houston, as it's wetter. I hate dryness in summer more than probably anything related to weather.

Old 04-20-2017, 03:53 PM

1,916 posts, read 1,458,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
Indeed. Vegas is much hotter, simple as that.

Whether somebody finds NYC hot is open for debate. I'd say that most English people would struggle with an NYC summer, as it's simply much hotter than they're used to. Somebody from Houston or Miami is probably wondering what the fuss is all about with NYC's pleasant spring-like summers

Without hijacking the thread too much, which city would people choose if it was Last Vegas Vs Houston?
Houston. The high dew points and temperatures in Houston put it over Las Vegas even though Las Vegas has higher temperatures. Plus Houston has the stronger sun.

Old 04-20-2017, 04:14 PM

29,513 posts, read 19,612,482 times
My wife is in Houston all week on business

Old 04-20-2017, 05:02 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,517,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerParty View Post
This whole thread is a load of dribble.

La Vegas is vastly hotter day and night in summer than NYC, regardless of humidity. You will sweat to your ass in LV more for ****s sake. 110f is 110f and is a whole new world of heat than 90f, regardless of dewpoint FFS /thread
Have you been to both or either in the summer? Guess not to Vegas. This reminds me of midwesterens who thinks its hot in Vegas 24/7 all year around. Talk about uninformed, I LOL when they argue about something they have never experienced. There is no shame in not knowing something.

Unless you are exercising, moving around alot, you will not sweat in Vegas. have you seen a glass of water in vegas, no water running down the sides. Unlike a glass of water where there is humidity. ( As a friend who went to the midwest the first time in her life said to me 'what the hell is going on with my glass! And jumps up from the table as if its going to break.)

That is because there is no humidity most of the time in Vegas. That is what makes one sweat. Even when we have rain it gets to the most about 60%. We have barometers and temp guages outside our home, we look at them.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:19 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,217,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
NYC summers are not hot. Not even very warm. Just warm and occassionally hot at times.

Other warm summers

Philly
Chicago
Minneapolis
Boston

Very warm summers

DC/Baltimore
St Louis
Kansas City

Hot summers

Atlanta
Charlette
Miami
Nashville

Very hot

Vegas
Phoenix
Dallas
Houston
I think you're a little too focused on average highs and ignoring factors like humidity, heat index, etc. The numerous days in NYC that are just a few degrees above average easily enter "hot" territory.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:01 PM

1,916 posts, read 1,458,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I think you're a little too focused on average highs and ignoring factors like humidity, heat index, etc. The numerous days in NYC that are just a few degrees above average easily enter "hot" territory.
105°F with a 43°F dew point (12% RH) will STILL feel warmer than 85°F with a 70°F dew point (61% RH). The heat indices for Las Vegas and NY would be 99°F and 90°F respectively. Anyway, you are correct that there are years where NY can be classified as hot but it is not consistently hot like Las Vegas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather