Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the best climate?
Spain 67 55.37%
California 54 44.63%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 10:24 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,900,361 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junter View Post
I do

Actually this is just in my zone. Oh, and from this year.

+1500m mountains in the background...

I can post similar pics from 10 different zones from the coast of Spain but I will be accused of propaganda so it's enough with those.
But I understand that this winter was unusually cold, and the lower ground certainly wasn't enjoying typical Med weather. I know this because the shops were rationing Spanish vegetables owing to the fact that the cold winter had devastated agriculture in parts of Spain. LA for example can be warm and sunny, yet still have the snowy mountains in the distance, as far as I'm aware, it's a fairly regular feature throughout much of the year.

Old 04-29-2017, 10:29 AM

3,326 posts, read 2,601,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
This is the place where some real Cali Love can be found
Very beautiful, but still is 0 near the Oceanic north of Spain.

Oh wait I retract that, it's propaganda if now I give my opinion but anyone else can do it unless me.

[QUOTEClear Lake | Visit California

Try and find a place with 33C highs in July that looks like this El Junter?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clearl...fornia#Climate[/quote]

Extremely easy. Granada

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granada#Climate

On the other side of the mountain the temps are the same but the landscape is much more lushy as the 3300/3400m peaks from the Spanish Sierra Nevada (uh, guess who had first a Sierra Nevada mountain range ) keep most of the rain who goes under Granada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider21 View Post
hadn't seen this thread before and it made me laugh. Haven't been to Spain but it sure is beautiful, so isn't California. The pics were more enjoyable then the weather discussion which was fun to read as well. Sonoma Valley here :-)
You're welcome.

The thing is to have a good time.

Old 04-29-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
But I understand that this winter was unusually cold, and the lower ground certainly wasn't enjoying typical Med weather. LA for example can be warm and sunny, yet still have the snowy mountains in the distance, it's a fairly regular feature throughout much of the year.
And in Alicante or Almería too, you can see even the Sierra Nevada +2500m mountains from the coast of Granada (the peak is almost 3500m) also the 1800-1900m mountains from Almería and +1500m in Alicante.

This happens at least once a year, without exception, as the mountains from the background are at high altitude:

Yes, well, this photo from above is normal, but not the 1st photo which I posted in the last page (the snow really close to the sea) as this year was extremely rare with places which didn't seen snow in a entire century and also inland a few days had really cold lows and many crops died (like the lettuces and stuff, those are cultivated inland) even some places reached their all time low January record.

Old 04-29-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
And in Alicante or Almería too, you can see even the Sierra Nevada +2500m mountains from the coast of Granada (the peak is almost 3500m) also the 1800-1900m mountains from Almería and +1500m in Alicante.

This happens at least once a year, without exception, as the mountains from the background are at high altitude:
I imagine it's colder than the LA scene at lower ground, and it looks extremely arid.

Old 04-29-2017, 10:34 AM
BMI

7,455 posts, read 7,220,875 times
Climate Battle: Spain vs California-img_0306.jpg

I was gonna say Granada, Spain but El Junter beat me to it

The original Sierra Nevada is located there ....3400 m....over 11,000 feet

Old 04-29-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
I imagine it's colder than the LA scene at lower ground, and it looks extremely arid.
Those mountains from the back of LA are extremely arid too. LA has a BSh semiarid climate just as Alicante.

In the coastline the temps are very similar to LA (Alicante) and I suppose in the mountains too, btw at least 1-2 days per year you can see the high mountain range from the back with snow, in LA it would be the same?

This is the landscape of mountain range from close. Practically akin to the mountains near LA but with a few more trees:

Although has some more greeny looking zones too

Old 04-29-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Those mountains from the back of LA are extremely arid too. LA has a BSh semiarid climate just as Alicante.

In the coastline the temps are very similar to LA (Alicante) and I suppose in the mountains too, btw at least 1-2 days per year you can see the high mountain range from the back with snow, in LA it would be the same?

This is the landscape of mountain range from close. Practically akin to the mountains near LA but with a few more trees:

Although has some more greeny looking zones too

I'm not just talking about the mountains, I'm talking about the landscape as a whole. The foreground in LA is covered in greenery.

I don't know what point you're trying to make with the unrelated photo album, I never said all of Alicante looks like it's been hit by a nuclear warhead, just some of it.

Old 04-29-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Attachment 183985

I was gonna say Granada, Spain but El Junter beat me to it

The original Sierra Nevada is located there ....3400 m....over 11,000 feet
The coast of Granada, Motril

Quote:
I'm not just talking about the mountains, I'm talking about the landscape as a whole. The foreground in LA is covered in greenery.

I don't know what point you're trying to make with the unrelated photo album, I never said all of Alicante looks like it's been hot by a nuclear warhead, just some of it.
I know, I know, you said before you can't think nowhere in Spain of a beach with palm trees and high snowy mountains on the background, just shown you that you can find some.

I know mate, LA is full of houses so has many trees planted, Alicante city is mostly buildings for it's abrupt geography.

I was talking just about the natural landscapes. I'm not even challenging, just showing random pics.

Old 04-29-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
The coast of Granada, Motril

Top is arid, bottom is better, the immediate foreground probably isn't as natural as you claim, it looks managed and irrigated.

Still weak compared to LA. Look at the development of the palms in LA, they're enormous.

Last edited by Razza94; 04-29-2017 at 11:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather