Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which climate do you prefer ?
New York City 42 79.25%
Chicago 11 20.75%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 09:12 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,923,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Yeah not enough cold winter fans on this board!

All in all I would say very similar for 8+months out of the year. You probably wouldn't notice much of a difference.
Busy threads sometimes get pinned on the side, so people from outside the weather forum are probably voting as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 04:03 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
My friend called me one Cinco de Mayo from Chicago and it was so cold, he was wearing his winter coat.

NYC all day long.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:38 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Quote:
Yeah not enough cold winter fans on this board!

All in all I would say very similar for 8+months out of the year. You probably wouldn't notice much of a difference.

I would notice a diff for sure in winter. It would be like having a Dec, Jan or Feb that was -10F off the monthly mean. That is your avg monthly temp differences in those three months. I would most certainly notice a month that was -10F colder than average. It would be like Feb 2015 every year over and over again or colder. Your winters are much colder.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:26 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,953,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeefan93 View Post
NYC is not continental but it isn't quite subtropical either. It's more temperate than anything which is in between continental and subtropical. Plus it's surprisingly original because it has never been done apparently.
It stands to a personal opinion I guess. I believe NYC is a bona fide continental climate. You don't need to have constant subfreezing highs in order to be continental. You can argue about Washington not being continental, maybe I could agree there.

If this poll is so "original" then NYC wouldn't be leading by a long margin. Perhaps they see NYC as a somewhat improved Chicago, since they're still rather alike. An interesting climate battle will have equal amount of votes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeefan93 View Post
NYC vs Chicago yes. North American climate battles? Nope, they have been done before.
What do you mean?

NYC vs Chicago are "North American climate battles".

Old 05-04-2017, 01:35 AM

1,916 posts, read 1,459,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
It stands to a personal opinion I guess. I believe NYC is a bona fide continental climate. You don't need to have constant subfreezing highs in order to be continental. You can argue about Washington not being continental, maybe I could agree there.

If this poll is so "original" then NYC wouldn't be leading by a long margin. Perhaps they see NYC as a somewhat improved Chicago, since they're still rather alike. An interesting climate battle will have equal amount of votes.

What do you mean?

They are North American cities being pitted against each other. Except for certain seasons a full fledged climate battle between NY and Chicago has not happened on any forum whether it was close or not.

Old 05-04-2017, 04:09 AM

29,522 posts, read 19,616,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I would notice a diff for sure in winter. It would be like having a Dec, Jan or Feb that was -10F off the monthly mean. That is your avg monthly temp differences in those three months. I would most certainly notice a month that was -10F colder than average. It would be like Feb 2015 every year over and over again or colder. Your winters are much colder.
Well yes, our winters are what would distinguish us from NYC (and Philly of course). That's why I said very similar for 8+ months.

I guess certain weather events can distinguish the two cities as well. We get to beow zero much more often than NYC during the winter, but the trend in recent decades has seen fewer such days

We are more tornado/derecho prone here than out east, and see more thunderstorms.

http://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2013/0...northwest.html

We don't get nearly as frequent big Nor'Easter type storms as you do....

It seems as if we get bouts of very high dew points more frequently than NYC or Philly, but also bouts of drier Canadian air masses, so it balances out.

Not in recent years, but I don't think the Northeast can see such extreme heatwaves as we are prone to. Again this has not happened in decades.

I don't think anywhere north of Virginia (has it ever happened in Virginia?) has ever seen an average high temp of 100F/38C with 19 days at or above 100F/38C as seen near hear during the Dust Bowl.

Old 05-04-2017, 04:13 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,923,007 times
George loves to get his charts in

Old 05-04-2017, 04:14 AM

29,522 posts, read 19,616,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
George loves to get his charts in
I have gigabytes worth on file. What can I say, I'm very visual.

Old 05-04-2017, 07:31 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Quote:
Well yes, our winters are what would distinguish us from NYC (and Philly of course). That's why I said very similar for 8+ months.

I guess certain weather events can distinguish the two cities as well. We get to beow zero much more often than NYC during the winter, but the trend in recent decades has seen fewer such days

We are more tornado/derecho prone here than out east, and see more thunderstorms.

Cliff Mass Weather Blog: Why so few big thunderstorms in the Northwest?

We don't get nearly as frequent big Nor'Easter type storms as you do....

It seems as if we get bouts of very high dew points more frequently than NYC or Philly, but also bouts of drier Canadian air masses, so it balances out.

Not in recent years, but I don't think the Northeast can see such extreme heatwaves as we are prone to. Again this has not happened in decades.

I don't think anywhere north of Virginia (has it ever happened in Virginia?) has ever seen an average high temp of 100F/38C with 19 days at or above 100F/38C as seen near hear during the Dust Bowl.
Is difficult for us to get as hot in summer as your area. We have warmer summer nights and lower standard deviation than you in every season. Our local meteos say that is due to proximity of the Atlantic and the large bays.

Old 05-04-2017, 07:42 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,331,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post

What do you mean?

Why? The Atlantic plays a pretty significant role in NYC's climate, that alone should discount it from being considered a "bona fide" continental climate. Washington, being further inland, is actually a bit more continental in nature than NYC.

NYC's Manhattan would resemble Manhattan, Kansas if the climate were wholly continental.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather