Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has a better range of climates for your tastes?
Eastern half of Europe 17 29.82%
Eastern half of the U.S. 40 70.18%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 10:01 AM

5,730 posts, read 3,510,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
We don't ignore it, we acknowledge it. A large part of the Eastern US is much further south than Eastern Europe. If you are going to compare them, are you only going to compare latitude to latitude? If that is the case then don't say "Eastern US", say northern half of the US. Otherwise, it makes it seems as if even the lousy climates of Eastern Europe are better than the eastern half of the US which is ludicrous. Where in Eastern Europe do you have climates like south Texas or Florida or the Gulf Coast or the Southeast Atlantic Coast. Only Greece and and a tiny sliver of Croatia. So it makes it seem as if the the whole of the Eastern US is a cold hole and ignores all the subtropical climates there.

The other thing is I need to see climate data from reliable national meteo agencies and not wiki when it comes to Bulgaria and other places there. Just looking at Plovdiv, the wiki description says the Jan mean is 31F, while the table shows it to be 33.6F.

Just compare the wiki table for Plovdiv with this write up below:

Winter is normally cold and snow is common. The average number of days with snow cover in Plovdiv is 33. The average depth of snow cover is 2 to 4 cm (1 to 2 in) and the maximum is normally 6 to 13 cm (2 to 5 in), but in some winters it can reach 70 cm (28 in) or more. Average January temperature is −0.4 °C (31 °F).

They have double the number of days with snow cover than we do, and a colder Jan mean, but the table shows otherwise.

The reference for the table comes from a Danish meteo book and "climatebase". What are those? Where is the data from their national meteo agency in accordance with WMO standards?
Exactly, otherwise we get into the ridiculous situation of cherry picking the worst of one place versus the best of another place.

Then, to add salt into an open wound, we have the bizarre step of choosing a few horrible climates from a third place that wasn't even in the original question (i.e., Canada) in a misguided attempt to support an arbitrary position. It's like this:

Quote:
"I think Eastern Europe has a better climate than Eastern USA."

"Oh that's interesting, why do you think that?"

"Because Saint Petersburg is warmer than Churchill."

"But isn't Churchill in Canada?"

"Yes but, Miami is south of Athens."
That's an easy way to flunk your 6th grade geography class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 10:08 AM

2,132 posts, read 1,369,890 times
difficult one -although I think i'd take the southern half of eastern Europe to be on the safe side ,knowing i will get the 2,200 or more ideal hours - the sunshine figures are too unreliable for USA -I don't trust their readings . I wonder if they have also made up figures for their temperatures too ??

Old 05-08-2017, 10:34 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,324,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
what about americans ignoring that the U.S. extends much further south ?
It's not fair to include places like Charleston; nowhere in Eastern Europe extends that far south

Old 05-08-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorshavnSunHolidays View Post
difficult one -although I think i'd take the southern half of eastern Europe to be on the safe side ,knowing i will get the 2,200 or more ideal hours - the sunshine figures are too unreliable for USA -I don't trust their readings . I wonder if they have also made up figures for their temperatures too ??
Try these instead. They're measured in kilowatt-hours so less prone to bias. Note however the colours on the scales are different!

How Sustainable is PV solar power? - LOW-TECH MAGAZINE

Old 05-08-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
It's not fair to include places like Charleston; nowhere in Eastern Europe extends that far south
So we can't include Charleston but it's OK to include Churchill and Quebec?

Old 05-08-2017, 10:59 AM

2,132 posts, read 1,369,890 times
good try Eddie lad ,but theyre not sun hours a such - more like sun strength . The whole world and his dog knows that Sweden is sunnier than northern Spain .

That European map is also on the wonk somewhat lol

Old 05-08-2017, 11:12 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
As the sun doesn't properly warm above a certain latitude in winter, every sun ray and accumulation is 0 and regarded as negative irradiation.

But if we take "Eastern Europe" in an Eurocentric way, the first 20 longitudes are western, the next 20 central, and next 20 eastern. Then the range would be from the "arm" of Finland (Tirana in the south) to the Russian-Georgian border.

Old 05-08-2017, 11:17 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Eastern US is usually define as this

and Eastern Europe usually like this

Any thoughts?

Vast majority of Eastern Europe is cold and snowy in winter, mediocre summers, and blah sun hours, except for the sliver of Croatia, Albania, and the southern portion of Greece. Maybe half or slightly more than half of the Eastern US is cold and snowy in winter, with blah sun hours and mediocre summers. But for instance you have to go to southern Bulgaria to get as warm as where I live, and I'm in the cold and snowy part of the US. The Eastern US has a more expansive area of warmer winters, better summers, and more sunshine.

You have to go to far southern Eastern Europe like Crete to get a Jan mean equal to New Orleans or Jacksonville, FL.

Eastern US easily for me.

Old 05-08-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorshavnSunHolidays View Post

Let me know when Greece can grow coconut palms then lol. Our temps are in accordance with WMO standards you can read that for yourself on the NOAA home page. And we don't take sun hours anymore anyway. Wanna bet Philly has hundreds more sun hours than anywhere in England? I dare you to spend a year here and year there and tell me otherwise.

Old 05-08-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Try these instead. They're measured in kilowatt-hours so less prone to bias. Note however the colours on the scales are different!

How Sustainable is PV solar power? - LOW-TECH MAGAZINE

Also a different number of years for each. The record for the US is longer than Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather