Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pick your poison!
Torshavn 30 62.50%
Dallol 18 37.50%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 10:18 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,558,274 times

Advertisements

Everyone voting for Dallol doesn't realize just how hot it is. There's no way you could have an enjoyable life there no matter how heat-tolerant you are. One day with a high of 115F? Ok. 100 of them in a row? Sure no problem!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 12:21 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,407,199 times
Actually yes, I've experienced 37C/28C days that were extremely humid pretty regularly when I was in SE Asia and whilst it isn't comfortable, it's far better than the sunless, cool and gloomy dark hell hole that is Torshavn.

Some of us just prefer heat and detest subarctic hellholes, I am one of those people

Old 05-16-2017, 01:58 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,593,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorshavnSunHolidays View Post
Math's not your strong point i take it B87 ?
What are you on about now? Teignmouth's cloudiest month is sunnier than Torshavn's sunniest, by percentage.

Teignmouth December records 64/241 hrs.
Torshavn June records 125/559 hrs.

Last edited by B87; 05-16-2017 at 02:08 AM..

Old 05-16-2017, 02:04 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,182,229 times
To help put Dallol into perspective, the hottest day I ever rode in an Accord had a high of 97 F / 36 C. That was an unseasonably warm July 21 (2016). That same 97 is Dallol's average high... in its coldest months (January and February).

The reason I hate Dallol's climate far, far beyond Torshavn's is the lack of freedom. You just can't spend any prolonged period outside in Dallol outside the "winter" months. Even if you're a hot weather person, May-September in Dallol is going to be very trying.

Let's look at Torshavn. The coldest low on an Accord day? 2 F / -17 C. Torshavn's average highs range from 42-56 F / 6-13 C, and the lows are about 7 F / 4 C cooler on average. So you're looking at a temperature range that while boring definitely allows for outdoor activity year round.

Old 05-16-2017, 02:09 AM

5,069 posts, read 8,598,645 times
Dallol, given that it's just Middle East hotspot stuff all year round, subject to building modern facilities. Just realized that Campbell Is is only 0.3C warmer than Torshavn (annual mean), has the same rainfall average, slightly more 1.0mm+ raindays and 200 hrs/year less sun!

Old 05-16-2017, 02:23 AM

1,363 posts, read 791,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
To be honest though, the main difference between Dallol and a city on the Persian Gulf is at least the cities on the Gulf have a relatively cool season with more tolerable weather. Dubai averages 24/14 in January, Kuwait averages something like 17/8 in January, meanwhile Dallol has an average high of 36 C () in it's "coldest month". The hottest month of the year is about equal in both Kuwait and Dallol, but extreme heat lasts a lot shorter in Kuwait. The extreme heat and dryness would ensure that pretty much nothing can grow. Perhaps it could exist if there were lots of greenhouses in the fictional city.
Yeah the winters are bloody hot to say the least so there is no relief. There would need to be cheap electricity supply and desalination plants along the Red Sea coast that would irrigate the area so there can be some greenery. The data is only for 6 years, so who knows, a proper long-term dataset could be cooler (then again possibly hotter!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Actually yes, I've experienced 37C/28C days that were extremely humid pretty regularly when I was in SE Asia and whilst it isn't comfortable, it's far better than the sunless, cool and gloomy dark hell hole that is Torshavn.

Some of us just prefer heat and detest subarctic hellholes, I am one of those people
The main problem with Torshavn IMO is actually the sunshine moreso than the temps. The chronic lack of sunshine, abundance of strong wind and insane amount of skin penetrating rain/drizzle days would make the year round cold feel even colder. If that's not bad enough, the endless lead skies are amplified by the darkness of a high latitude winter. If it had say 2500 hrs of sun a year, this poll could look very different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Dallol, given that it's just Middle East hotspot stuff all year round, subject to building modern facilities. Just realized that Campbell Is is only 0.3C warmer than Torshavn (annual mean), has the same rainfall average, slightly more 1.0mm+ raindays and 200 hrs/year less sun!
290 rain days >1mm and 647hrs of sun, christ almighty! There must be are around 340-350 days with rain >0.2mm then. This is a worse climate than Torshavn!

Old 05-16-2017, 02:26 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,593,888 times
If Torshavn was arid with 1500-2000 hrs of sun and no wind, I would've voted for it.

Old 05-16-2017, 05:02 AM

5,069 posts, read 8,598,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerParty View Post
Yeah the winters are bloody hot to say the least so there is no relief. There would need to be cheap electricity supply and desalination plants along the Red Sea coast that would irrigate the area so there can be some greenery. The data is only for 6 years, so who knows, a proper long-term dataset could be cooler (then again possibly hotter!)

The main problem with Torshavn IMO is actually the sunshine moreso than the temps. The chronic lack of sunshine, abundance of strong wind and insane amount of skin penetrating rain/drizzle days would make the year round cold feel even colder. If that's not bad enough, the endless lead skies are amplified by the darkness of a high latitude winter. If it had say 2500 hrs of sun a year, this poll could look very different.

290 rain days >1mm and 647hrs of sun, christ almighty! There must be are around 340-350 days with rain >0.2mm then. This is a worse climate than Torshavn!
Close - I think Campbell's 0.2mm+ count is around 330. Of course at some sites further south e.g. South Orkney the misery factor goes up further ...

Old 05-16-2017, 05:07 AM

2,197 posts, read 1,494,017 times
If Torshavn was arid or semi arid but with everything else the same, I would have voted for it. The temps and clouds are terrible, but it was the rain that clinched it for me. Clouds I can tolerate, same with cool temps year round. The amount of rainfall I can't though. High 30s C is far better than anything under 15C and rain. I have experienced a dry 45C for a few days in a row, and it still beats anything under 15C and rain. They are both awful, but IMO cold rain is worse than extreme heat.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:09 AM

2,132 posts, read 1,369,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
What are you on about now? Teignmouth's cloudiest month is sunnier than Torshavn's sunniest, by percentage.

Teignmouth December records 64/241 hrs.
Torshavn June records 125/559 hrs.
what i meant was .

take Teigmouth's 3 winter months and times by 4 , that is your total .

Obviously my comparison is very averaged out - Teignmouth won't get anything like laying snow or the cold snaps you would get in a typical Torshavn year and Teignmouth wouldn't get any 15c sunny days in winter .

And very obviously, Torshavn would have more daylight de facto
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather