Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 08:59 AM

2 posts, read 1,601 times

Advertisements

Leaves on deciduous trees do not change color from only falling temperatures. Actually, they change color primarily because they get LESS LIGHT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 09:16 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,923,558 times
Maybe places in Canada.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:07 AM

83,511 posts, read 75,269,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
are there any places up north that, on a particularly cool year, get autumn leaf change in August or so? I'm of course referring to METEOROLOGICAL summer only, so seeing the leaves change on September 15 does not count. We're talking about weather, not the position of the Earth's tilt. So I mean places that at least on one occasion, have seen autumnal conditions in vegetation before September 1st

Interesting you chose Meteorological Summer vs Astronomical. See below if it counts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YITYNR View Post
Around here (east-central WI) the leaves will often begin turning colors in late August, especially if we have a cool summer. They aren't fully changed until well into September, though, and they don't peak until early-mid October IIRC, so I'm not sure if it counts.
Here too. Late August-Early September if conditions are right I "START" to see signs of changing colors. (no its not stress for those that like to use that excuse). I thought it was, but it wasn't. It's nothing crazy but you can see the changes starting in August.

By Mid September its more noticeable. By Mid-late October we peak.

From August 10, 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Summer? It's beginning of August. This is near the coast. I think it's indvidual stress but I'm seeing more individual trees here and there and this one is young and healthy.

From August 20, 2013.

Quote:
Usually we have deep greens in August and leaves dont change colors until mid-end of September.

Seeing so many more changing colors out there now.

Pound Ridge in southern NY near CT border this morning

RT 123 in New Canaan, CT.

By September 22, 2013. To be fair, that was An early year by like 2 weeks

Quote:
The "start" of the change happened at the end of August and beginning of September.. We are about 2-3 weeks early. Now the colors are becoming more apparent. 20% of trees have color on them. 65%+ are in the changing process. 15% not changing yet.

This is 250' elevation in SW CT near the coast. Nice cool fall day.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:21 AM

2,155 posts, read 1,540,547 times
Yeah, that's what Småland looked like in mid-August as well.

And also, in the July/August shift I was in Stockholm, and there were a lot of yellow/brown trees. I was surprised because there were none in Umeå. I guess it had to do with sickness though. Still, it was interesting because there were loads of seemingly dying trees whereas I've never really seen that in Umeå.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:56 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,799,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba_Wethu View Post
Yeah, that's what Småland looked like in mid-August as well.

And also, in the July/August shift I was in Stockholm, and there were a lot of yellow/brown trees. I was surprised because there were none in Umeå. I guess it had to do with sickness though. Still, it was interesting because there were loads of seemingly dying trees whereas I've never really seen that in Umeå.
Aargh, not this again, and you're correct.

There are many fungi which makes the leaves yellow or dead, it's called tree rust.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rust_(fungus)

It's not a sign of autumn, but a sign of disease.

Pretty much every ash in Turku has this disease: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hymenoscyphus_fraxineus

Old 05-17-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Aargh, not this again, and you're correct.

There are many fungi which makes the leaves yellow or dead, it's called tree rust.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rust_(fungus)

It's not a sign of autumn, but a sign of disease.
Yeah, the Stockholm thing was probably something like that, but in Småland in mid-August lots of trees, maples especially had large red and orange sections on them.

Old 05-17-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Yeah, the Stockholm thing was probably something like that, but in Småland in mid-August lots of trees, maples especially had large red and orange sections on them.
It's also a fungus and the leaves change colours due to stress.

I took these on 24 September 2014, not much fall colours there. And I'm at 60N:

Old 05-17-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
It's also a fungus and the leaves change colours due to stress.

I took these on 24 September 2014, not much fall colours there. And I'm at 60N:

Hmm, I guess so. But why would it only happen in August-September and never in July or earlier in the summer?

Old 05-17-2017, 12:18 PM

83,511 posts, read 75,269,804 times
Hilarious seeing people using stress and fungus as an excuse. If that was the case it would be a select few trees, not widespread in entire area and multiple trees which then others follow with the changes of colors.

Its the beginning of changing colors. Fall.

Brown, droopy, thinning, dark spots, falling leaves is an easy sign stress. When trees are changing colors just weeks before the rest usually does, you cant jump to say its stress. Lol. In July you can.

Old 05-17-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Hmm, I guess so. But why would it only happen in August-September and never in July or earlier in the summer?
If you get HIV do you die instantly? No, you die when your immune system and strength collapses.

Quote:
Hilarious seeing people using stress and fungus as an excuse. If that was the case it would be a select few trees, not widespread in entire area and multiple trees which then others follow with the changes of colors.

Its the beginning of changing colors. Fall.

Brown, droopy, thinning, dark spots, falling leaves is an easy sign stress. When trees are changing colors just weeks before the rest usually does, you cant jump to say its stress. Lol. In July you can.

These fungi spread, and fast. The ash dieback I mentioned contaminated almost every ash in my city in 3 years. Now the city gardening section is prohibited to plant more than 3 ash threes in one spot in order to prevent the disease to spread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather