Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the following cities has your favorite SUMMER (July and August ONLY) climate
Reykjavík, Iceland 7 6.86%
Mecca, Saudi Arabia 1 0.98%
San Francisco, California 17 16.67%
Houston, Texas 19 18.63%
London, U.K 9 8.82%
Madrid, Spain 16 15.69%
Yakutsk, Russia 10 9.80%
Boston, Massachusetts 23 22.55%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 06:17 AM

2,132 posts, read 1,360,377 times

Advertisements

I am more than OK with the cloudier northern Spain - and yes, a tad warmer than Southern England esp in the winter months ..... i see places like Coruna as an improvenment on S/Eng .Santander is cloudier but still passes the test .
,My only concern would be the rain totals in winter - they look a bit too high ,would prefer that rain in Summer .
most of Southern England gets a C+ or C from me btw - these locations get a B+, B or B- .

I Would award a B across the board from + to -
Pontevedra +
Coruna +
San Sebastion
Santiago -
Santander -

Known to us in the UK as 'green Spain'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2017, 01:42 PM

106 posts, read 94,603 times
Houston, because it has summer, and I would rather be boiled than broiled.

Old 06-24-2017, 02:54 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,274,623 times
There are some nice, Gulf fueled storms going on in Houston right now, which further solidifies it as my choice over all the others. I understand that Houston's summer rainfall (both frequency and totals) can be a bit milquetoast compared to areas like Florida; the 2011 drought certainly won't leave a good impression. But, it definitely gets some good action off the Gulf:

-The summer rainfall frequency looks similar to quite a few good subtropical climates, such as Buenos Aires, and even New Delhi in monsoonal India:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buenos_Aires#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Delhi#Climate

-The southern area of the metro holds the 24hr record for rainfall in the US, from a tropical storm event in July 1979.
https://weather.com/holiday/spring/n...es-20130313#/2

-Nearby areas of SE Texas like Beaumont and Port Arthur average 10-12 rainfall days each summer month. Areas of metro along the coast like League City (Houston NWSO), and even Sugar Land southwest of the city have similar totals. Hobby Aiport and other areas of Houston south of I-10 have improvements in summer rainfall compared to the Bush Airport:
National Weather Service Climate

Old 06-25-2017, 06:17 AM

6 posts, read 3,575 times
Considering summer climate I have chosen Madrid (32.1°C in July and 31.3°C in August). Even on cooler days temperature is high enough for summer activities. In the morning hours the Madrid weather is still favourable for jogging or cycling.

Houston (37°C/99°F) is a bit too hot for me but not bad at all.

Old 06-25-2017, 07:00 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,860,073 times
1) Reykjavík, Iceland

2) London, U.K

3)Yakutsk, Russia

4) Boston, Massachusetts

5) San Francisco, CA

6) Houston, TX/Madrid,Spain

7) Mecca, Saudi Arabia

Old 10-14-2017, 03:53 PM

21 posts, read 20,046 times
Houston is Hell with high humidity in the summer.

Old 10-14-2017, 04:21 PM
BMI

7,456 posts, read 7,212,060 times
Boston

Almost identical to my climate

Old 10-14-2017, 04:57 PM

559 posts, read 744,953 times
Best is probably Boston for me. Similar to my town but slightly cooler, which is perfectly fine as I like summer highs to be around 75-80. A

Next I think would be London. Summer temps are lovely with highs in the mid 70's and clouds are great if it's 70+. A-

After that I'd probably choose San Francisco. Average highs are a bit cooler than I'd like but upper 60's are still quite pleasant, especially when sunny. However it is definitely too dry there, not even a lick of rain in July? That's ridiculous. B-

Next up is Yakutsk. It's a shame that this one is so far down because the July highs are absolutely perfect. However, the lows get way too chilly for my liking. Record low of 18 in AUGUST? Not fun at all! Plus the "summers" are so short that they don't even last the entire period! By late August temperatures are probably getting into the 50's. I'd like my summer to be longer than just 1 month and some change. C

Safe to say that Madrid would be next for me. This is the last of these cities where I could actually tolerate the weather. Average highs are a bit too hot being basically 90 in July but I think there would be enough decent days (high below 85) sprinkled in between the hot days. C-

Getting towards the bottom now,Reykjavik is next. This city barely even has a summer with highs struggling to even hit 60 during the summer. There might be a random nice day here or there judging by the records but it doesn't make up for the rest of the summer weather. Plus average daylight hours being under 200 is just miserable with temperatures like that. I'd rather not be walking around in a jacket in the middle of July! E

Hard to choose which one is the worst between the last two but I guess the less terrible one is Houston. Reykjavik is pretty bad but at least there's bound to be a few decent days here and there. For Houston? Not likely. Summer temps are WAAAY too hot and the humidity makes it even worse. Average high of 94 with average humidity of 75%??? Absolutely disgusting! However I think that despite the heat and humidity, I would still take this over the next climate because at least there's some rain. F

Last place is Mecca. Normally I do prefer a dry heat over a humid heat but Mecca is a whole different case. This isn't a dry heat at say, 100 degrees, this is a dry heat at NEARLY 110!!! And that's just the averages! I don't even want to know what that record high of 121.6 is like, especially with all that sun! Plus basically no rain at all the whole summer would make things get boring really fast. Just edges out Houston for worst climate. F-

Last edited by NWNJ; 10-14-2017 at 05:07 PM..

Old 10-14-2017, 05:55 PM

769 posts, read 477,025 times
Madrid.

Hot temps and very dry. I would have liked to see cooler mins, but it's still my top pick out of the bunch.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:34 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,896,211 times
Mecca isnt a dry heat. Its a hodgepodge of dry heat and humid heat. Sometimes quite dry but most of the time not. Heat indexes frequently significantly higher than the actual temperature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather