Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How important is weather in choosing where to live?
Crucial. 16 22.86%
A leading factor. 21 30.00%
Somewhat Important. 23 32.86%
Only a consideration if the climate is extreme. 10 14.29%
Irrelevant. 0 0%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 03:48 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,356,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
To live in Mecca you'll have to change your name to Ali, pray five times per day to a friggin stone and just forget about dating the local women
Yeah, **** that.

Also why did this thread turn into a Spain circle-jerk again? Come on man. It's getting old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 03:49 PM

3,326 posts, read 2,617,395 times
True, non Muslims can't enter to the city of Mecca. In fact the police checks your passport!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
The fact that you're using Numbeo kind of rubbishes your argument from the onset. Most things on there are self-reported and therefore are not reliable at all. Anyone can put anything on there. As if Estonia has a higher quality of life than Norway.

Better to stick to proper quality of life rankings, like the Human Development Index, or the Legatum Prosperity Index.
I still find that the life expectancy index is the most valuable/factual proof on how good/balanced is the life in a specific place.

The life expectancy is based in how much the people lives in a place in average. If your place is balanced and good, you will live lots of years!

Btw, for me the climate is a crucial factor. It's as important as the job or the safety. Although it's also very important for me a very good public health care and very balanced/good prices. I can sacrifice the wage for a decent climate and lifestyle. Obviously just a part of it, not if the difference is very huge. Actually I do this, as in Rotterdam for my job I can earn about 400€ more (net) per month. 100% worthy!

Last edited by ase42dv; 06-22-2017 at 04:12 PM.. Reason: Copied here

Old 06-22-2017, 03:55 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junter View Post
It is at the top. or at least it's what the 1st Google result says

Moderator cut: Link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

#5, between New Zealand and Finland. Have you seen that is the 3rd in health efficiency or 2nd in life expectancy? Btw, I don't trust much in those agency maded things, I think that the best indicator is the life expectancy.

I'm sure that the life expectancy is the best and most natural indicator to show how good/balanced is a place to live in!
You might be on to something. Going by wealth you would think that Saudi Arabia was some kind of paradise, but life expectancy shows a darker picture. Life expectancy equates Saudi Arabia with countries like Jordan, Venezuela, and Honduras. Just because the sheikh and his buddies live like kings does not mean that the average population does so

US is another country where the Life Expectancy is not nearly as good as the GDP per capita, probabaly because of a devastating work culture and high stress levels

Likewise, countries such as...

Japan (27th in PPP, 1st in Life Expectancy)
Chile (55th in PPP, 28th in Life Expectancy)
Albania (94th in PPP, 37th in Life Expectancy)
Peru (89th in PPP, 62nd in Life Expectancy)
Sri Lanka (93rd in PPP, 70th in Life Expectancy)
Jamaica (108th in PPP, 51st in Life Expectancy)

Are probably much better off than their economic indicators suggest

Last edited by Yac; 06-30-2017 at 07:05 AM..

Old 06-22-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Yeah, **** that.

Also why did this thread turn into a Spain circle-jerk again? Come on man. It's getting old.
Various users made me questions after giving my personal opinion. Was rude from my part to not answer them.

Although I recognise that in most posts I exceeded the explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
You might be on to something. Going by wealth you would think that Saudi Arabia was some kind of paradise, but life expectancy shows a darker picture. Life expectancy equates Saudi Arabia with countries like Jordan, Venezuela, and Honduras. Just because the sheikh and his buddies live like kings does not mean that the average population does so

US is another country where the Life Expectancy is not nearly as good as the GDP per capita, probabaly because of a devastating work culture and high stress levels

Too bad: you must spread some reputation around before giving it to Warszawa again.

Exactly, 100% true and correct buddy!

Old 06-22-2017, 04:04 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,920,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post

A lot of it is related to lifestyle. Compare the diet of the average Japanese person to the average American person. In this context Japan's longer life expectancy is certainly no coincidence.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:27 PM

699 posts, read 368,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
If you're unaware, Junter thinks Spain is better than anywhere else in the world at everything. Let's just say he's correct and avoid another derailed thread. I'm not going down this road again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Every single thread has to turn into some Spanish propaganda BS
I didn't know this lol

Quote:
Not really, but rather the most balanced.

Of course a bunch of other European countries are superior to Spain in wages, work opportunities, etc. Also in safety some are superior, but for example in health care efficiency Bloomberg rated Spain as the 3rd best of the world in 2016, after Singapore and Hong Kong. And personally I think it's true. I see better the social security from here than the Dutch one.

Spain has the luck that it fastly recovered from the past economic crisis, and they known to build A+++ infraestructures.

Nope bro. Maybe in small towns. For example, Spain was the 2nd country in the world to legalize same sex marriage (1st was Netherlands) and the 1st to legalize same sex adoptions.

Also the majority of youths are Agnostics, Franco united the state with the church and many people got hatred to the church because of that. Actually baptized kids are less than half of Spanish newborns.

I don't think that Spain is the best in all but definetly in my opinion is the most balanced to live in. The climate is just like the best for me!

My favorite climate of the world is found in the Canary Islands. If I was rich or a retired person I would live there!
So Spain isn't very conservative?? Hmm Maybe I had a warped view of Spain.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:46 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,568,172 times
Quote:
True, non Muslims can't enter to the city of Mecca. In fact the police checks your passport!

I still find that the life expectancy index is the most valuable/factual proof on how good/balanced is the life in a specific place.

The life expectancy is based in how much the people lives in a place in average. If your place is balanced and good, you will live lots of years!

Btw, for me the climate is a crucial factor. It's as important as the job or the safety. Although it's also very important for me a very good public health care and very balanced/good prices. I can sacrifice the wage for a decent climate and lifestyle. Obviously just a part of it, not if the difference is very huge. Actually I do this, as in Rotterdam for my job I can earn about 400€ more (net) per month. 100% worthy!
Life expectancy in developed countries is mostly a reflection of diet, and other lifestyle factors like alcohol consumption.

If it was a reflection of stress or work, you'd expect Japan to fare poorly in the life expectancy stakes - high suicide rates, long work hours and a strong culture of pride and honour (which feed into the high suicide levels). What they do have working in their favour though, is a good diet - particularly high fish consumption, lack of saturated foods, and very low levels of alcohol consumption.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever96 View Post
I didn't know this lol

So Spain isn't very conservative?? Hmm Maybe I had a warped view of Spain.
Razza is saying crap again bro, I never said that Spain is the best in anything and I don't do any kind of Spanish "propaganda"

I just had my clashes with those 2 users and they usually exaggerate things up. One of them even said in a thread that he would like to see me banned, so you can deduce it by yourself... Btw, I don't have any problem with any other user!

No it isn't mate. All of those things about the gay rights are completely true! Spain is extremely open minded too.

Quote:
Life expectancy in developed countries is mostly a reflection of diet, and other lifestyle factors like alcohol consumption.
Spain has the 2nd obesity rate from Europe (1st is UK)

Spanish people smoke quite much and drink quite too (although not amongst the top, but still exists)

Spain is also the 2nd or 3rd drug user of Europe. 1st in sosa/cocaine.

I think that the health care combined with the way of life and happiness, free time, etc. are the most important factors.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:53 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,568,172 times
No it isn't.

Spain's obesity level is still relatively high, but they have better diets than we do.

Spaniards also work longer hours than, say, Germans, or Danes.

All Nordic countries also feature in the top 10 happiest. Spain does not. No southern European country does.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
No it isn't.

Spain's obesity level is still relatively high, but they have better diets than we do.

Spaniards also work longer hours than, say, Germans, or Danes.

All Nordic countries also feature in the top 10 happiest. Spain does not. No southern European country does.
Hmm, I don't think that any happiness indicator can be reliable lol , you can't ask anyone if it's happy or not, and specially southern Europeans like a lot to bash about their own country, just as many French people does.

Then more in my favor. Still has the biggest European life expectancy (although some sources put the Swiss one slightly above). Btw, It's all balanced happiness, health care, way of life... Spanish people definelty work less stressed and with a lower pressure than our fellow nordics.

España es el segundo país de Europa con más obesos | Ciencia y tecnología | Cadena SER

If we take 2016 official OMS/WHO sources, Spain has an overweight (including obesity) rate of 25%

I've seen this quite recently in many Spanish newspapers and TV news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather