Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 01:36 PM

1,049 posts, read 651,996 times

Advertisements

The warmest winter that I would prefer would be places like Fort Smith, Ark, Memphis, TN, and Charlotte, NC. I got to have some cold and some winter weather. My ideal climate is a Humid Continental (Warm Summer) or the northern edges of Humid Subtropical because I have to have my 4 seasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 01:56 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,400,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivenine View Post
The warmest winter that I would prefer would be places like Fort Smith, Ark, Memphis, TN, and Charlotte, NC. I got to have some cold and some winter weather. My ideal climate is a Humid Continental (Warm Summer) or the northern edges of Humid Subtropical because I have to have my 4 seasons.
Sounds like where you live right now is perfect then!

Old 08-13-2017, 04:10 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,572,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
You have to dress up like an eskimo for a 30 F day (an average Upstate NY day)? Are roads constantly icy and snowy up there also? You get snowstorms every day? There's not a single day where roads are clear in winter? There's never above freezing weather in winter?

I honestly sometimes feel like people exaggerate or just remember the worst of where they previously lived to justify their move more. You remember the extreme cold but not the 40 or even 50 degree days that can occur there even in mid-winter.

Anyways, it's still the same. You're staying inside because of heat instead of cold. Plus, it's not like it's comfortable to go out in a t-shirt in extreme heat anyways. You're still going to be hot, at least with cold you can bundle up to the point of being comfortable.
Maybe I'm anemic, but I can't get warm even in down jackets when it's below about +3°C.

Not only that, but I don't like having to bundle up, it takes more effort than I like and makes me less ambulatory and flexible.

And as far as those 40&50 degree days in winter? In an AVERAGE Rochester winter, that is maybe 2 or 3 days per month Dec-Feb, with the other 81 days in the 30s or less.

Here are the stats from Dec 00-Feb 01, the last winter I lived in Rochester, which overall was average.

Days with highs 10°C+=4, that's right out of all 90 days, only 4 had Max's 10°C+, just 4.4% of the winter
Days with highs 5°C+=12, 13.3% of the winter
Days with highs below 0°C=39! or 43.3% of the winter
Days with highs below -5°C=10 or 11.1% of the winter

Days with snow=57! or 63.3% of the days that winter had measurable snow
Days with snowpack=76 or 84.4% of the winter had snowpack

My first winter in Phoenix was paradise after that:

Dec 01-Feb 02 in Phoenix

Days with highs 10°C+=89 or 99.1% of the winter
Days with highs 5°C+=90 or the whole winter
Days with highs below 0°C=None
Days with highs below -5°C=None

Days with snow=None
Days with snowpack=None

I'll take the latter over the former any day

Old 08-13-2017, 05:04 PM

1,235 posts, read 730,930 times
San Diego, Las Vegas

Old 08-13-2017, 05:19 PM

17,286 posts, read 12,203,925 times
Love it here in southwest Washington. Generally mild in the 50s through the winter with colder temps and snow able to be visited on demand in the nearby mountains for fun without screwing with your commute. Usually mild summers as well. Though this past year has been an exception on both fronts with some substantial snow in town in the winter and a couple weeks in the 90s/100s this summer.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:35 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,314,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
You have to dress up like an eskimo for a 30 F day (an average Upstate NY day)? Are roads constantly icy and snowy up there also? You get snowstorms every day? There's not a single day where roads are clear in winter? There's never above freezing weather in winter?

I honestly sometimes feel like people exaggerate or just remember the worst of where they previously lived to justify their move more. You remember the extreme cold but not the 40 or even 50 degree days that can occur there even in mid-winter.

Anyways, it's still the same. You're staying inside because of heat instead of cold. Plus, it's not like it's comfortable to go out in a t-shirt in extreme heat anyways. You're still going to be hot, at least with cold you can bundle up to the point of being comfortable.
On your average 30F day no, but in February 2015 there were many occasions where you had to leave the house dressed like a chukcha because of the temperature and the extreme windchill. Either way I have come to the conclusion its not the severity of the winter in Upstate New York that is the big issue, rather how long and dreadful it is. I would rather trade 10 degrees of warmth in the winter in exchange for a faster spring warmup. Honestly I think 0F in winter is better than 35F in Maypril. At least 0F in January makes sense, and if anything it feels extreme. 35F on St. Patricks Day or Earth Day is annoying af and makes you want to throw something through the window

Old 08-14-2017, 08:40 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,925,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
On your average 30F day no, but in February 2015 there were many occasions where you had to leave the house dressed like a chukcha because of the temperature and the extreme windchill. Either way I have come to the conclusion its not the severity of the winter in Upstate New York that is the big issue, rather how long and dreadful it is. I would rather trade 10 degrees of warmth in the winter in exchange for a faster spring warmup. Honestly I think 0F in winter is better than 35F in Maypril. At least 0F in January makes sense, and if anything it feels extreme. 35F on St. Patricks Day or Earth Day is annoying af and makes you want to throw something through the window
YES X1000
I HATED "spring" in Pennsylvania. Winters sucked sure, but you know that going into it. I still hated going outside when it was in the teens but I handled it. But spring? Yuck. It was mid 50s and raining on my graduation day in mid May. It snowed April 2016. I couldn't put up my coats til essentially when I left for Georgia.

Old 08-14-2017, 09:24 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,639,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Love it here in southwest Washington. Generally mild in the 50s through the winter with colder temps and snow able to be visited on demand in the nearby mountains for fun without screwing with your commute. Usually mild summers as well. Though this past year has been an exception on both fronts with some substantial snow in town in the winter and a couple weeks in the 90s/100s this summer.
A good description -sounds like here, although snow and 100s aren't a happening thing at all.

Old 12-22-2021, 07:21 PM

7,481 posts, read 7,140,582 times
After this year can we go for about every area in the country.

Old 12-23-2021, 03:28 PM

1,503 posts, read 910,832 times
First choice Hawaii, second S Florida. No contest there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather