Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2017, 09:40 AM

83,325 posts, read 74,639,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
White Mountains photos coming up. First day October 6th. I wanted to hike my favorite trail, the Ammonoosuc Ravine trail, which follows a series of small cascades passing some open rock ledge ending at a col above treeline between Mt. Washington and Mt. Monroe. And hadn't the Caps Ridge trail in a while, which goes up nearby Mt. Jefferson up fun open rock ledges. Found there was a connecting trail where I could combine the two. Drove up in the pouring rain, finished at around 9:30, started hiking at 10. My usual loop with the Amoounosac Ravine trail takes about 8 hours, would I manage to finish before dark?! Nice stream at the start
Looks like an awesome trail. Were you seeing any vertical lifting with the fog/condensation at times or was it mostly just sideways movement? Maybe the winds were too fast for vertical motion. I hear ya on the hands and wind chill factor.

Looks like you went while there was a front stalled to the south of there hence the clouds, fog, and winds. I found it's one of the best times to hike (during a front) but it does suck for views and the chill on hands/face. There's also something about hiking in the fog which makes it feel time is moving slower while on the trail, guess that's not the best feeling sometimes.

Check out the surface map at 11am on Oct. 6th. See the stalled front over MA? But more interestingly.. Click the link and look at the previous 3 hours for 8am. (12z). It was even south more. So it looks like the front was shifting back north during the day hence why you probably saw lower fog while decending

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 09:45 AM

Date: Oct 12, 2017
Elevation: 600'
Temp: 53°F (11.6C)

30 minutes south it was 57°F(14C). (Big difference in winter when its raining at my house and 36 while snowing there at 31)

So late with the colors. Up here they are usually couple weeks earlier than me. Still mostly green. Nuts

Rained overnight.

It wasn't moving.

New sign put up. Must of been reports of Black Bears lately.

On way back... Giddyup

Lastly, quick 1 minute video. Nothing exciting. Testing new camera out. Don't like it. Will return this one too.

Watch the lower level clouds moving fast. Love that. Great morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LGDbjxYGb8

Old 10-12-2017, 09:53 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,216,066 times
Next day, if people are interested in the location, started from Crawford Notch went over the Willey Range south to Mt. Willey dipped down to Zealand Notch, through the Notch and then back over the Willey Range to Crawford Notch. Day started partly sunny but a shelf cloud was hanging around the mountains

Spoiler

first viewpoint on the Willey Range

bright overcast

Mt. Willey itself was almost completely fogged over. Steep descent, looking back at Willey. Had a stretch with ladders, must be gnarly in the winter, met a few who had done so.

saw this bird (quail?) hard to get a photo of it. Started drizzling on me. Yuck

viewpoint from Thoreau Falls.

and the falls, which was kinda low

another view

another image with the falls in the foreground. Unfortunately water got on the lens

Spoiler

some nice colors

rain stopped, great open stretch through Zealand Notch. Across the notch

looking down the notch

back up where I came from

fog

an image of the trail with the same view

Spoiler

back in the forest

stream below Zealand Falls

this part of the notch lots of past peak foliage trees

Spoiler

noticed a lot of brown vegetation. Must have already had a freeze? The wider notch at a somewhat high elevation (2500 feet) is likely a good frost hollow, similar to Saranac Lake.

lots of wet leaves

Last edited by nei; 10-12-2017 at 10:18 AM..

Old 10-12-2017, 10:11 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,067,174 times
Amazing

Old 10-12-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Next day, if people are interested in the location, started from Crawford Notch went over the Willey Range south to Mt. Willey dipped down to Zealand Notch, through the Notch and then back over the Willey Range to Crawford Notch. Day started partly sunny but a shelf cloud was hanging around the mountains

Spoiler

What a difference a day makes. Much better pics then Oct 6th batch with fog. 1st 2 are awesome! Chose that as my favorite. The rock ledge was close but too cloudy. Great pic non the less!

The brown vegetation maybe from mini Fall drought? Could be a freeze too.

And there you go again with the wildlife on the trail. . Do you walk slow? Maybe that's my problem, I power walk through trails and make too much noise that wildlife hears me coming and runs. lolol

I'm gonna google that location and trail now.

Old 10-12-2017, 02:06 PM

2,943 posts, read 2,894,327 times
Nice photos, Nei. And kinda familiar too, since the eastern northamerican temperate flora resembles much more the one here (in Patagonia) than in the western side of NA, where is very different.

Old 10-12-2017, 02:22 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,859,521 times
This public garden has plants blooming in every season, though very few in winter. It was planted about 3 years ago and the landscapers told me everything there is perennial and most are native plants to the region. Looked very nice this chilly damp morning. Some trees have a hint of change while others are still very green.

This time of year grass is a nice lush green

Old 10-13-2017, 03:43 AM

2,155 posts, read 1,531,389 times
Today is literally the first sunny day since the first week of September. Lovely.

Old 10-13-2017, 06:31 AM

October 13, 2017. Low of 47°F (8C) this morning. Coldest of the season.

Just getting the wood stove ready. Haven't lit it yet. Haven't needed heat inside but I think Tuesday coming up will be the day to do it. We'll see.

1st Lights/Heat needed of season.

October 8, 2012
October 19, 2013
October 11, 2014
October 3, 2015
October 9, 2016
October ..., 2017

Old 10-13-2017, 11:12 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,067,174 times
From this morning

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather